New Wii this Autumn?

Moot point imo

Cloudkill said:
I have HD-DVD I have a PS3 I have loads of DVD players I have media centre.

Why would I or anyone else need it?

I've gotta say that DVD functionality isn't something that the Wii is screaming to have, as primarily it isn't a portable system per se, it's certainly portable but not as the PSP - in convergence terms - ie UMD for example. So Nintendo have no need to account for people using it in areas which don't have a full compliment of devices.

To comment, 'that why would anyone else need it' - is a double edged sword imo:
One the one hand, you have bought Wii knowing full well that it isn't HD or DVD / CD compatible and is being sold at a price point for purely a gaming system, to keep the price down and things simple these common elements have been deliberately left out, which we all knew and were happy with!

One the other hand this functionality [dvd/cd] is pretty much standard on electrical equipment of this ilk - why not have it?

Nintendo have left it out to make the system a more accessible one - by the nature of not having convergence you would be inclined to lump it with the rest of your family equipment [I am being very very general with this of course] and as such, inclined to have it in the family room!(Yes I do know that a lot of people have it in the bedroom, ahem so to speak :shocked: )

To give Wii cd functionality isn't going to happen as it already has this built in with the SD card reader and slideshow functionality...a better MP3 player would be a great benefit but we'll have to wait and see but I'm not holding my breath.

DVD capability, as has been mentioned, is already there as well but not enabled due to the software - as I understand it! Take into consideration that Godfather and NfsC play perfectly passable movie clips in the course of the games then some codecs are already there as standard.

I think that to shoot a Wii out with dvd is neither here nor there to me. Keep it simple and concentrate on the games!

Cloudkill said:
This is why I don't post on this forum because you lot are so technical disables.

The Wii can read single layer DVD, Dual Layer DVD and all the games run off this, newer Nintendo games once they start to get bigger will start to use 8.5GB DVD's there is a rumour in some forums that MP3 will use Dual layer media.

This there for means that the Wii has the hardware to run standard DVD's be it single layer or Dual Layer.
The Wii cannot read CD’s standard music CD’s, if you put a CD in it will make a crunch and crack sound.

The only reason they would need to make a new version of the Wii is if they were going to alter the GPU to 1366x768 and the DVD-ROM drive to play back HD-DVD, as then you would need blue laser to read that type of media.

Think of it this way your PC has a DVD-ROM drive inside but has not got any software to play them back no media player no Power DVD nothing, the only thing its going to do is show you the files inside the DVD, that’s all that the Wii can do at the moment its physically able to read them but not able to play them back as there is no software.

But I highly doubt this is going to happen for either a long time or ever as what’s the point?
I have HD-DVD I have a PS3 I have loads of DVD players I have media centre.

Why would I or anyone else need it?

Well at least someone else understands the fact that the Wii can indeed read DVDs with just a software update. But the thing is: I would love to have a DVD player in my Wii. Since no one probably read my last post I'll reiterate my situation. In my dorm, the only DVD player I have is my laptop. Without a room-mate this year I have no PS2 to use as a DVD player.....which is what I've been doing since the PS2 came out. And I hate having to sit at my desk and watch movies on my laptop, I would like to have a DVD player for my TV so I can lay in bed and watch movies with the Girlfriend. :p

Now I know it's not a majority of Wii users. But I'm sure that there are enough Wii users that will download a software update to let the Wii play DVDs to make it worth it for Nintendo to invest in. Not EVERYONE has a DVD player everywhere they go. And to have the Wii act as a DVD player would be nice. It's not like I have a big HD-TV widescreen in college anyway. So the limited resolution the Wii puts out would be fine by me.

tank said:
Now I know it's not a majority of Wii users. But I'm sure that there are enough Wii users that will download a software update to let the Wii play DVDs to make it worth it for Nintendo to invest in. Not EVERYONE has a DVD player everywhere they go. And to have the Wii act as a DVD player would be nice. It's not like I have a big HD-TV widescreen in college anyway. So the limited resolution the Wii puts out would be fine by me.

Tank - you make a good point but I agree, as you say, that you are very much in the minority of owners who actually require it.

Revan said:
DVD's were like this, when they first came out people were mostly still getting VCR videos.

Actually this is actually a lot different. DVD players and VCR players could both be played on any tv at the time in max resolution. So it didn't matter what tv you had people just needed the dvd player.

Well now there is no point in having a bluray or hddvd player if you don't have a 720/1080 tv. Which means it will take even longer for the next format to take over.

And that isn't even to mention super-hidef which is ready to come out in a couple of years will which probably have like a holographic format disc playing stuff in super high def.

vagrant said:
Actually this is actually a lot different. DVD players and VCR players could both be played on any tv at the time in max resolution. So it didn't matter what tv you had people just needed the dvd player.

Well now there is no point in having a bluray or hddvd player if you don't have a 720/1080 tv. Which means it will take even longer for the next format to take over.

And that isn't even to mention super-hidef which is ready to come out in a couple of years will which probably have like a holographic format disc playing stuff in super high def.

Laser TV wont be out for like 3-5 years (although it's wicked), plus all of this True HD and super-hidef crap are all just selling point, as we are restricted to what the human eye can see, not that much past the 1080p res anything any higher will just be a lie but yes there is not a lot of point owning a HD-DVD without a 720/1080 TV.

There are many good reasons to have the DVD player software installed on the Wii but I’m thinking like Nintendo.

I can see them making a MP3 channel but I don’ think Nintendo are going to be making the software for a DVD player.

I think they should just focus on some 10/10 titles and Wiiware that I’m quite excited about.

but, DvD players are cheap. and the wii cost more than a DvD player. my question is...if you want a DvD playa you buy it because its cheaper.

haha carefull guys....the more and more you let Nintendo no you don't want one, the more likely they are to come out with it.

I mean....That seems like Nintendo's trend so far. Giving it's customers the exact opposite of what they want.

Many ppl seem a little disappointed on the wii not being able to play dvds. However, I really wonder how many people would actually use it to watch dvds anyways. Right now it's fairly cheap to buy an upscaling dvd player that will allow you to play like 1080p, rather than the 480p of what the wii is capable of. Furthermore, for the color issue, if there are people desperate enough to change the color of the wii, colorware does an excellent job at this; however, it could be a little pricey for the wii, remotes and nunchucks. They also do other consoles. A simpler and cheaper way would be to purchase wii skins, some places allow you to create your own template (if you an artist or into computer graphics)

tank said:
haha carefull guys....the more and more you let Nintendo no you don't want one, the more likely they are to come out with it.

I mean....That seems like Nintendo's trend so far. Giving it's customers the exact opposite of what they want.
u really think so...i mean they only have 3 "real" consoles out rather than the other handheld stuff....i just joined this forum, and as a matter of fact this is one of the first forums i've ever joined about any gaming so....what wen't wrong with the N-64 and the Gamecube???

Chibi81 said:
if there are people desperate enough to change the color of the wii, colorware does an excellent job at this; however, it could be a little pricey for the wii, remotes and nunchucks.
wats colorware...?

the site is actually http://www.colorwarepc.com/
they do a great job at coloring consoles as well as corporate branding etc. The result of the product is like as if you purchased the item like that. A know someone who has colored their wii black - (not something I would do because with the wii, two remotes, and nunchucks it was like half the price of the wii) but for those interested there is an option.

Chibi81 said:
the site is actually http://www.colorwarepc.com/
they do a great job at coloring consoles as well as corporate branding etc. The result of the product is like as if you purchased the item like that. A know someone who has colored their wii black - (not something I would do because with the wii, two remotes, and nunchucks it was like half the price of the wii) but for those interested there is an option.
ok thx for the info

Well JesusFreak. Welcome to the forums.

And well.. That was just a bit of sarcasm. I'm talking about the recent news about no Online for MP3, the Man Hunt ban, and the all around lack of online support. It just seems like no matter how much we beg and plead nintendo for some online, wiiware, and 3rd party support, we never get our satisfaction.

I take that back....3rd party is starting to bloom with EA and whatnot.

Back