Overheat?

lelando

Expert Gamer
Aug 21, 2006
United Kingdom
Hey i am pretty much gona be on the wii for a very long time........ i mean proerly like 24 hours a day and i am a bit concered for the health of the wii. Will it overheat and explode or will it take it in its stride. sorry if its a dumb question.
Any comments welcome.

I doubt it. Nintendos products usually are very good. I have the Nintendo wifi usb thing for the DS (and soon wii) which gets REALLY hot (as it is on whenever the pc is, and only small), though ive never had any problems with it. i think ive seen air vents at the back of the wii in pics? so it should be ok. If not, you can just blow on it at regualr intervals, though i doubt nintendo would have missed such a fault.

EDIT: Also, ive 'accidentally' left my cube on a few times, after playing on it in the morning, turning the TV off, but not the cube and not realising until the noise woke me up when trying to get to sleep, lol. And my cube has been completely faultless since launch day *hugs gamecube*

ANOTHER EDIT: Dont forget, you're not the only person out there playing it for hours straight; if such a problem existed, nintendo would be fixing a lot of wii....

Last edited:
When Sony released the first batch of PStwo aka PS2 slim it had overheating problems where the console would get overheated and stop to function in a few hours of playing. But then again, Sony is famous (or infamous) for making crappy quality consoles.

they have said anything in awhile, as though it was pushed to the side, you dont ever have to turn off your wii

I remember one time, I played my gamecube and I didnt have a memory card, so I left it on for two weeks. It hasn't had any problems except now the stupid open disk button thing gets stuck down. But thats only a minor thing right, and besides...it wont matter in 6 days!

Wii has 2 vents 1 on back and one on the bottom of the console both with fans. Wii has a easy to cool hardware unlike PS3 and 360 which both have very high end proccessors that heat up and are very hard to keep at a good tempature. PS3 will have major cooling problems! Wii should be fine of all the Nintendo products i've owned all of the consoles have been fine being left on for hours on end. Handhelds also lol I got my NDS taken away and it was on for 2 weeks in sleep mode while my mom had it when I got it back I just started playing right where i left off lol.

DarkDepths said:
I remember one time, I played my gamecube and I didnt have a memory card, so I left it on for two weeks. It hasn't had any problems except now the stupid open disk button thing gets stuck down. But thats only a minor thing right, and besides...it wont matter in 6 days!
haha
so you had that problem too?
i did too...

anyways
like everyone else said there shouldn't be much of a problem of overheating considering how well built Nintendo's products have been in the past.

my friend has an xbox360 it was really good (playing conkers as the squrells till my friend had to turn it off because he said the disk might melt (yeah right i was pwning)

about that overheat thing....i worry a bit, because if you let your Wii in sleep-mode (WiiConnect24 enabled, with orange light on the power button), the system get hot after a while, since the rear fan isn't working while the system in on sleep-mode, there's no airflow.

Nintendo should put it so we have the choice of turning it on or off in the BIOS setting, when we put it in sleep-mode.

i played zelda for 6 hours straight the other day and the system didn't seem much warmer than when it is normally sitting in sleep mode on wc24

and that's constant gameplay, not just sitting on at a pause screen or something like that

Back