PS3 gets headtracking?!

Extra Life Mushroom said:
there are other devices that do what the PS Eye camera can d but advertise they van do it better! I just saw a video on ign where an independent company created the "z-cam" which although very much like the eye-toy can detect not only movement, but three dimensional space (like the wii-mote).

They touted that they potentially have the technology for a the Wii 2.0 since they took the motion controls to the next level. And interestingly enough with out any peripherals. The device alone senses your entire body and detects even delicate gestures.
But the most interesting thing I saw was the ability to set a cut ff point. Let's say you're in a crowded room and there are people walking behind you whilst you play a motion sensitive boxing title. To prevent the camera from getting confused, you can set the wavelength of the field to only reach let's say 5 feet in front of the device. So any friends who decide to jump up and down behind you in an attempt to screw up your game will not even be recognized by the device as they are beyond the range you set.

Hopefully Nintendo will have a few talks with these guys and try and negotiate a deal of some sort for future console generations.

I think the field sensitivity setting would be too complicated for the average consumer. The fact that the camera doesn't know "Who" you are is a huge problem. I think it would be cool if they made a "smart" camera that identifies the player by hair color, skin color, clothes and possibly face.

Sounds like a cool idea but I don't see this becoming a final Wii oriented idea. I think Nintendo should spend their money on advancing the sensor bar technology and motion control accuracy. And hopefully a better Remote speaker.

Dbomb3 said:
sony again with the copying
copying off of what? nintendo didnt come up with this, they just said they wanted it first. your an idiot and sony doesnt "copy" that's childish to say. i seriously sick of the wii fanboys here. yeah "wii"chat i know, but dont be a fanboy. if you dont like to hear good ps3 news then dont come to the PS3 SECTION.

anyways, that wasnt very impressive, they need to work out the kinks and apply it toa game of some sort..

I think that sony is wasting their time/money on this. No one buys a ps3 for a "casual" experience. No one wants to have a "Wii-like" experience on a ps3.

They want their impressive graphics, and familiar classic playstation controls. After laughing at the wii-mote as a gimmick for so long, why would they stand by a product that offers that very same gimmick and support it as a viable means of play?

The ps3's strong selling point is not that it's all inclusive, or noob friendly. It's touted as a serious piece of gaming hardware. And what this Eye toy amounts to is an expensive web cam with head tracking to place yourself into some casual games.

The entire purpose of this device is to get sony into the casual gaming market. I cannot see a "hardcore" gamer using this device, unless it offers some functionality to upcoming "real" games.

This goes to show that not even sony is immune to hype, so here is their vain attempt to encroach on the wii's territory. I can assure you it's going to amount to nothing more than a gimmick in the end. (although it will sell a lot initially) This is what the wii was made for, the entire system revolves around motion technology. Whereas ps3's power comes from their impressive visuals and traditional controls (which in recent years have become the standard for console controllers.)
So there is no reason to change what has worked fine for the past 10 years all because its what the "popular console" is doing and it works for them.

I mean come on Sony! Are you so intimidated by the wii that you're going to attempt to outdo them at their own game? Not to say that the PS eye won't be able to do just that, but since the device is really just a gimmick, no one will take it seriously and it will be largely ignored by the fans. Despite the fact that it could very well have the potential to be a "wii-killer", I doubt many people will care. They want Kratos on their ps3 not "ps3-play/sports/etc"

Because it's not about out-doing the competition. It's about finding your niche in the gaming world and fine-tuning it to a science, so that players who want that experience will come to your company specifically. There is no gaming world anymore, just lots of sub-levels each with their own demands and shortcomings. Different consoles cater to different sub-levels. When a console decides to become the master of all of them they end up stretching themselves to thin thus becoming jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Whilst the others are masters of their own specific fields.

Last edited:
SensesFail said:
copying off of what? nintendo didnt come up with this, they just said they wanted it first. your an idiot and sony doesnt "copy" that's childish to say. i seriously sick of the wii fanboys here. yeah "wii"chat i know, but dont be a fanboy.

So if you say Sony is copying you're suddenly a fanboy?? And since when has speaking the truth been a bad think? You sound like a Sony fanboy yourself. If you don't know what people mean by Sony copying, please read the last post.

Sony was claiming the Wii Remote was a gimick when they failed to realize features like Blu-Ray movies and downloading music are MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE of a gimmick than the Wii Remote can ever be because those "extras" have abosolutely nothing to do with gameplay.

I personally do not like the headtracking. When I first saw it I thought it was cool and I still do. Its pretty interesting, but in the end its just kind of "cool" to see. But I seriously do not want to play a game using headtracking. I much rather play the classic style thats being used now. I don't want to be ducking and dodging, I do that when I play real life sports not when I play video games.

Back