Ridley in Brawl.

naisatoh said:
I agree that Ridley's role in the Metroid series is incredibly important. In fact, it's always disappointing when Ridley isn't a boss in a Metroid game. But if you read the rest of my post, you'll see how having a motive is important to establishing a memorable role in the Subspace Emissary. Of course, my post is working under the assumption that all playable characters in the roster appear as playable characters in the Subspace.

I don't think the baddies will be playable. Even though if they had their own Subspace, it'd be amazing. I think we'll only play as the good guys in the Subspace, but the classic mode and all of that you can still play as the baddies.

I see exactly what you mean, but, personally, I don't think one's persona matters very much when all you're doing is beating the snot out of your opponent. Now, if SSE was set up so that certain bosses only appeared with certain characters (i.e. Samus would meet Ridley, etc. etc.) I could see how this would be a problem...however, as far as we know, this doesn't seem to be the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

@ nic: I really doubt we won't be able to play as the villains in SSE.

^Lol. Beating the snot out of an opponent.

Im sure Ridley and Samus will fight in the SSE. It only makes sense.

Shoko said:
Yea but Samus gets a free pass since shes...well.....the main character!
Even though Samus is more or less a silent protagonist, you do get a sense of her personality from her log entries. Super Metroid begins with her log entries that detail the happenings from Metroid and Metroid II.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=EksbWofYpAo[/media]

ssbb_lover said:
I see exactly what you mean, but, personally, I don't think one's persona matters very much when all you're doing is beating the snot out of your opponent. Now, if SSE was set up so that certain bosses only appeared with certain characters (i.e. Samus would meet Ridley, etc. etc.) I could see how this would be a problem...however, as far as we know, this doesn't seem to be the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

@ nic: I doubt we won't be able to play as the villains in SSE.
The thing about the Smash series is that it's evolved since the N64 original. In the original, I would agree that the main purpose was to beat up the opponent. There really wasn't much else you could do. With Brawl, however, Sakurai has created a piece that blends the boundaries and brings all the worlds together. To me, the point of the Subspace is to create a story that actually explains why all these different characters are in the same place. And I hold a lot of stock in what Sakurai has attempted to achieve.

Shoko said:

To be honest, I don't think Ridley and Samus will fight. That's not the idea of the game. Samus fights Ridley all the time in the Metroid series. The SSE is about mixing it up.

Fox + Diddy versus Rayquaza.

Last edited:
naisatoh said:
The thing about the Smash series is that it's evolved since the N64 original. In the original, I would agree that the main purpose was to beat up the opponent. There really wasn't much else you could do. With Brawl, however, Sakurai has created a piece that blends the boundaries and brings all the worlds together. To me, the point of the Subspace is to create a story that actually explains why all these different characters are in the same place. And I hold a lot of stock in what Sakurai has attempted to achieve.
I see your point. However, where are you going to spend the majority of your time? SSE? I seriously doubt it. It's the multi-player that has brought this game into the "Best Ever" category. While Sakurai may be attempting to achieve a great single-player campaign to go along with that, muli-player is where everyone goes back to to have hundreds of hours of gameplay. And now you have 3 ways of doing it, friends (offline), friends (online), and random (online). In that sense, the significance of background info and/or motive is much, much lower.

ssbb_lover said:
I see your point. However, where are you going to spend the majority of your time? SSE? I seriously doubt it. It's the multi-player that has brought this game into the "Best Ever" category. While Sakurai may be attempting to achieve a great single-player campaign to go along with that, muli-player is where everyone goes back to to have hundreds of hours of gameplay. And now you have 3 ways of doing it, friends (offline), friends (online), and random (online). In that sense, the significance of background info and/or motive is much, much lower.
That's true. I will definitely be spending more of my time playing the multiplayer aspect of Brawl. But if I have play through the 10+ hours of SSE to unlock the secret characters, and to collect a decent number of the trophies/stickers, I expect that aspect of the game to be good. Not mention, Sakurai expects the SSE to be a "fully fleshed out single-player game."

Also, I actually believe the SSE will push the game from "Super Great but More of the Same" category into "Best Ever with New and Unique Elements" category.

I guess we just have different opinions as to what we believe will make this game truly exceptional.

Last edited:
naisatoh said:
That's true. I will definitely be spending more of my time playing the multiplayer aspect of Brawl. But if I have play through the 10+ hours of SSE to unlock the secret characters, and to collect a decent number of the trophies/stickers, I expect that aspect of the game to be good. Not mention, Sakurai expects the SSE to be a "fully fleshed out single-player game."
Agreed.
Also, I actually believe the SSE will push the game from "Super Great but More of the Same" category into "Best Ever with New and Unique Elements" category.
Agreed.
I guess we just have different opinions as to what we believe will make this game truly exceptional.
Agreed :))). Everyone has something they prefer, and personally, I don't think that SSE should hold back from a potentially incredible character to be included into this game.

brawldude said:
I say why not, ridley looked about samus's size in the intro of melee.
:lol: What for like two seconds!?!? I would like a BIG Ridley in Brawl,not Huge or Small,but Big.......or "Biggest"

Last edited:
Frankly, I'm all for Ridley...mostly with the argument that Metroid could use more representation, and Dark Samus and those hunters from the DS are both too recent and too clonish to fit.
Plus, Ridley is awesome...I like how Sakurai is trying to balance the heavy characters a lot more to give them a fighting chance against light ones, and Ridley could easily belong to such an effort.
And size doesn't really matter...looking at scale, Ridley in Super Metroid (the best representation of Ridley, I believe) is, relative to Samus, smaller than Bowser is to Mario in most platform Mario games.
I'd welcome his inclusion, much more than other characters.

Shoko said:

no i would dislike it

snake+lucas vs ridley, that would be a good battle

i really want more randomness in SSE

i.e. diddy + fox vs bowser/rayquaza
kirby vs petey pihrana

They could make a seperate Ridley model for SSE if he really wanted to. Like Omega Ridley or Meta Ridley or something. And then have the other Ridley model for multiplayer.

mushroomedmario said:
no i would dislike it

snake+lucas vs ridley, that would be a good battle

i really want more randomness in SSE

i.e. diddy + fox vs bowser/rayquaza
kirby vs petey pihrana
Yes,I like the Randomness to.....I bet Link and Yoshi battle Ridley!!!!

If metroid should have more characters, then maybe someone from the DS game....

Back