Ridley in Brawl.

mushroomedmario said:
no he dosn't.....

if there's no proof, it didn't happen

Obviously chuck norris would come to the ultimate decision. If he does choose to allow Ridleys inclusion it can't be fought. ridley won't have a choice in the matter

I was going to make a new thread, but seeing as this topic already exists (despite the poor quality of the replies), I decided to post my comment here.

There has been a lot of debate over whether or not Ridley should be a playable character in the upcoming Brawl. I have seen a number of arguments for and against his inclusion with topics ranging from his sheer size to his popularity in the Metroid franchise. And while I see merit to both sides of this debate, and while I'm excited to see how Ridley will be implemented into Brawl, I would have to disagree with the original post that he would be a good addition to the playable roster. To me, it's not about his size or his popularity, it's about how well he can be used within the Subspace Emissary.

There are a number of antagonists that appear in playable form (Bowser, Dedede, even Ganondorf stands a good chance of renewing his place on the roster). What sets Ridley apart from his counterparts is his lack of personification.

Ridley belongs to the Space Pirates, whose main purpose is to plunder and essentially destroy any planet or space station within reach. They experiment on Metroids for their unique properties of energy storage and generation, and in turn, use this energy for more plundering. We never really find out what their true motive is, or if they even have one at all. We just know that they'll stop at nothing to destroy Samas, and therefore, Samus should stop at nothing to destroy them.

Ridley is equally as mysterious. We don't know what purpose he serves within the Space Pirate community, expect that the pirates respect him enough to bring him back to life every time Samus manages to kill him. We don't know what his ultimate plans are. In fact, we never really find out why he does anything. Does he want to rule the galaxy? Does he want mass destruction? Does he want a blueberry muffin? We'll never really know.

Unlike Ridley, we know that Bowser wants to marry Peach and rule the Mushroom Kingdom. We know Dedede wants to horde all the food within Dream Land. We know that Ganondorf wants to collect the pieces of Triforce to rule all of Hyrule. And since we know what they ultimately want, we can strive to make sure it never happens. And in doing so, it's actually possible to turn them into potential protagonists.

modea02_070803logo.jpg

What makes the Subspace Emissary different from previous versions of Super Smash Bros. is the idea that all the characters become playable as some point during the game. And since we know the main antagonists are the creatures from the Subspace, all playable characters have to assume a protagonist role at some point during the story. Of course we can expect Bowser and Dedede to be up to their usual schemes, but something has to happen during the course of Subspace Emissary to temporarily align these antagonists with our everyday heroes (Mario, Link, etc.). The thread of being solidified into a permanent statue is probably a big enough threat.

So how does Ridley fit into all this? I like to believe that all playable characters in the Smash roster have to have at least a playable role within the Subspace. That being said, I find it hard to imagine Ridley ever assuming a protagonist role. The fact that he is a purely evil character bent on the destruction of planets of colonies coupled with the fact that he is really the only antagonist in the series unable to voice his thoughts and opinions, makes his character really hard to work around.

For this reason, Ridley works best as a boss, belonging to the legion of Subspace. Like the other bosses that have already been confirmed (Petey Piranha and Rayquaza) Ridley works better as a bad guy, who's sole purpose is to hinder the progress of our heroes. Make Ridley a second to last boss, and make sure to make him incredibly difficult to defeat.

Additionally, the Subspace Emissary encourages two-player cooperative play. As a result, Sakurai has created a story where two heroes team up and go after a single goal. Can anyone imagine Ridley "teaming up" with anybody? Could you imagine the potentially one-sided conversation that would ensue?

Well that's what I think. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Naisatoh, mind summarizing? Even I won't read all that just so that I can most likely read the same things...again.

Main Points (this was tough to summarize):

- Ridley's inclusion in the Brawl roster should not depend on his size or popularity. Rather, it should be based on his potential role in the Subspace Emissary.

- Unlike other playable antagonists (Bowser, Dedede, even Ganondorf), Ridley lacks the element of personification.

- Ridley's purpose in the Metroid series is largely unknown, aside from the plundering and destruction of colonies and space stations. We're not sure what his ultimate goal is, just that he keeps showing up to kill Samus (which he's not very good at).

- Unlike Ridley's mysterious nature, we know Bowser dreams of taking over the Mushroom Kingdom and marrying Princess Peach. Dedede aims to horde all of the food in Dreamland. Ganondorf strives to collect the pieces of the Triforce and ruling over Hyrule.

- What makes the Subspace Emissary different from previous versions of Super Smash Bros. is the idea that all the characters become playable as some point during the game. And since we know the main antagonists are the Subspace Army, all playable characters have to assume a protagonist role at some point during the story.

- Something must happen during the course of Subspace Emissary to temporarily align the antagonists with our everyday heroes (Mario, Link, etc.). The threat of being solidified into a permanent statue is pretty dire.

- Ridley works best as a boss, belonging to the legion of Subspace. Like the other bosses that have already been confirmed (Petey Piranha and Rayquaza), Ridley works better as a bad guy, who's sole purpose is to hinder the progress of our heroes. Make Ridley a second to last boss, and make sure to make him incredibly difficult to defeat.

- Additionally, the Subspace Emissary encourages two-player cooperative play. As a result, Sakurai has created a story where two heroes team up and go after a single goal. Ridley doesn't seem like a character who could easily team up with anyone.

Last edited:
"- Unlike other playable antagonists (Bowser, Dedede, even Ganondorf), Ridley lacks the element of personification.

- Ridley's purpose in the Metroid series is largely unknown, aside from the plundering and destruction of colonies and space stations. We're not sure what his ultimate goal is, just that he keeps showing up to kill Samus (which he's not very good at)."

^Very good points. see that Tyler? lol.

His motive for wanting/being commanded to kill Samus doesn't matter, it's the fact that he's a reoccurring antagonist that is always after the main character's head, which is pretty important in my opinion.

As for personification, I find that the Metroid series as a whole really lacks that asset. It's pretty much, "Samus is a bounty hunter/heroine that's out to kill the baddies." Not much of a background story to it, unlike the examples you have given (Mario, Kirby, LoZ).

ssbb_lover said:
His motive for wanting/being commanded to kill Samus doesn't matter, it's the fact that he's a reoccurring antagonist that is always after the main character's head, which is pretty important in my opinion.

As for personification, I find that the Metroid series as a whole really lacks that asset. It's pretty much, "Samus is a bounty hunter/heroine that's out to kill the baddies." Not much of a background story to it, unlike the examples you have given (Mario, Kirby, LoZ).
I agree that Ridley's role in the Metroid series is incredibly important. In fact, it's always disappointing when Ridley isn't a boss in a Metroid game. But if you read the rest of my post, you'll see how having a motive is important to establishing a memorable role in the Subspace Emissary. Of course, my post is working under the assumption that all playable characters in the roster appear as playable characters in the Subspace.

And as for background story, Metroid actually has one of the most complicated ones of all the franchises, especially with the Prime trilogy. First Samus must stop Space Pirates from harnessing the power of the Metroids. Then Samus must infiltrate the Space Pirate Phazon labs while fending off Dark Samus. Then Samus must go to the Metroid homeland and destroy the species.. the story goes on.

The Mario franchise mainly consists of Mario trying to save the Princess in different settings. The LoZ franchise is pretty much the same story being retold over different generations: Link must save Zelda from Ganondorf who is using her to get to the Triforce of Wisdom (in later games, Link must acquire the Triforce of Courage along the way).

And as for the lack of personification.. it's a big reason why Ridley doesn't work as a playable character.

I can see why so many people want him in the roster. He's a major player in the Metroid storyline, he has appeared in a majority of games from the Metroid franchise, he's just plain cool to look at. I get that. But sometimes, you have to go beyond what's cool and what's popular.

Last edited:
ssbb_lover said:

Yea but Samus gets a free pass since shes...well.....the main character!

Back