Scary Movies

LevesqueIsKing

An Instant Classic
Apr 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
I'm pretty bored, but I've been wondering about this for a while, so whatever here goes:

I'm a fecking pussy. I can't watch scary movies, I get made fun of for it all the time :lol: A few years ago I couldn't even finish watching the Sixth Sense and that isn't even scary, its more of a mystery. Looking back, I feel like an idiot but I know that I would be just as scared if I were to watch it today.

Anyway, having said that, my question is WHY? Is it because my parents stopped me from watching scary stuff when I was younger? Am I so gullible that I think movies are reality? Is it simply just because I'ma scaredy cat? I don't get it. My friends go on these scary movie raids and watch like 10 in a day or whatever. They get all pumped when a scary movie is in theaters, and you couldn't PAY me to go see it.

I have another question for those of you who like scary movies. Are they scary to you? It might sound dumb, but nobody ever talks about it. If I watch a mildly scary movie I honestly have to sit in bed until fatigue forces my eyes shut. My eyes burn in the shower because I can't close em while I'm shampooing for fear of the ghosts and goblins getting me. Hell, I just watched some cheesy movie (that my friends and I were laughing over the whole time, and wasn't the least bit scary) about a murderous leprechaun in space and I was freaking out on the way home. AM I FREAKING NUTS?

Last edited:
We love horror flicks (both the wifey and myself) - of our pretty stout DVD collection, I'd say a good 50% are that genre. We dig on ghost stories (The Others), fantasy/horror (like Hellraiser), Slasher (classic stuff like Ft13 and more modern takes like Saw), Zombie (Italian, Romero, reboots like the Dawn remake, 28 Days), SciFi edged horror (Alien), Classic (anything by Hammer Studios), etc, etc.

No Fear.

:D

LevesqueIsKing said:
Hell, I just watched some cheesy movie (that my friends and I were laughing over the whole time, and wasn't the least bit scary) about a murderous leprechaun in space and I was freaking out on the way home. AM I FREAKING NUTS?

OMG I SAW THAT MOVIE.

Don't feel bad about getting freaked out about that... it was seriously disturbing. Sure, it was a leprechaun in space... but still...

My advice - watch a scary movie. Force yourself to see it the whole way through. It'll freak you out, but you'll get over it.

The Grudge was the first scary movie I saw. I was scared, but intrigued by it. After the first it gets easier to watch others.

I think that you should start off with The Ring or something like that. I didn't find it scary, but that is because I had seen a couple of scarier movies already. If you think that's too much too, go for part of the Wishmaster series. Not scary, but still the right genre.

If you can't bring yourself to watch any of this, don't worry. Scary movies aren't all that great. And keep in mind - the reason your friends watch these movies is because they get scared but they enjoy it. So you won't be the only one scared - even if they claim not to be.

Oh also - find someone to watch the movie with. You don't want to watch a scary movie by yourself. And instead of staying in bed, move around and do stuff. Talk to yourself, or whoever you're watching the movie with. Don't focus entirely on the TV. That'll get you more scared.

But yeah... good luck. And don't be too hard on yourself. It doesn't matter anyway.

Murderous leprechauns in space....Roffles

I am not scared by horror films at all, I just look past it all to be honest, I enjoy watching them but they dont scare me.

Movies like dawn of the dead (remake) and 28 days later or even slashers are good to watch but do not scare me at all, not even make me worry.

I think the scariest horrors are the one's which mess with your mind or make you think.

For example, the modern classic silence of the lambs, I found that scary then any of todays stuff, yet it intrigued me.

Nowadays they just want gore gore gore, look at psycho, you never actually saw the lady being killed in the famous shower scene yet it made you think and provoked fear.

Looks like a real shitty problem you got there.
You have to force yourself to get used to it
Start off with the SAW series to get the gore factor out of the way then start watching actual horrors :)

No what you should do is start off with lets say a 12 rated horror movie and then try and watch that the way through and then go on to a 15 and so on and so forth

Cherub said:
No what you should do is start off with lets say a 12 rated horror movie and then try and watch that the way through and then go on to a 15 and so on and so forth
I've often found that some 15's may be more of a shocker then some 18's.

Why the hell should he watch them anyway? I don't watch scary movies, because I prance around in a dress all day, no. They're just utterly pathetic now, it's just countless amounts of gore and more gore. Hell, I even like Zelda the way it is. ;)

I never watched scary movies when I was a kid, but my mum wanted a job in forensics, which failed for unrelated reasons and she'd watch murder films all the time, she's still mad on them. She'd even get detective books and put them on the toilet to read, and poor little Emma of course will read them. They were entertaining, okay, but they put you in a position where you think no one's safe, and I live in Liverpool.

I guess it's just paranoia, for me, being shocked isn't being entertained. Sure, the odd film can have someone jump out at me but that's usually funny. I'd really rather watch films that were thought out, not blood, blood and more blood.

But I like the films that make people cry so no one listen to me. :sick:

I really like horror films. It gives me an adrenaline rush, such as the feeling that goes through your body when you are about to go downwards on a roller coaster. I am not scared by them, I am just addicted to them to a certain extent. :lol:

I do not like scary movies at all. I've watched some, but I try to steer away from them. My mind always seems to wander when I'm in bed after seeing a scary movie, every crack seems to make me jump 10 feet into the air. I think I'll just stick to the animated Disney movies :lol:

I dont remember any film actually scaring me since watchin the Entity as a kid , but I love horror films , whether its flavour is psychological or pure gore , I can easily lend myself to the fantasy of a movie for 90mins or so but as soon as it ends its outa my head . If a movie makes me jump or wanna vomit at its nastiness , I see that as a good thing for having an affect , a bit like art a film doesnt mean anything unless it evokes something in you .

Well I don't think you really have a problem man.
Although, maybe you didn't experience it when you were younger.

I was never scared of those kinda things as a kid, and I remember watching the movie IT the killer clown, based on a book by Stephen King I believe..maybe not.
But yeah I watched that when I was 7 or 8. It didn't scare me, and maybe its not a scary movie, I don't remember much of it, but that may have helped me.

Nowadays, the movies are bad, in the sense of the way they are made.
And seeing all the kiddies run to the theatres to go watch the scary movies to be "cool" makes me laugh.
Especially since their dad or mother is tailing behind them.

Anything but religious horror for me(Exorcist, Sixth Sense, etc) Idk.. I think I traumatized myself when I watched "Signs of God" when I was 5

edit: O yeah your not nuts.. probably bad memories from scary movies when u were a kid? idk

Last edited:
CantGetAWii said:
Well I don't think you really have a problem man.
Although, maybe you didn't experience it when you were younger.

I was never scared of those kinda things as a kid, and I remember watching the movie IT the killer clown, based on a book by Stephen King I believe..maybe not.
But yeah I watched that when I was 7 or 8. It didn't scare me, and maybe its not a scary movie, I don't remember much of it, but that may have helped me.

Nowadays, the movies are bad, in the sense of the way they are made.
And seeing all the kiddies run to the theatres to go watch the scary movies to be "cool" makes me laugh.
Especially since their dad or mother is tailing behind them.

That movie wasnt to scary for me except two major factors...I have a strong arachnophobia and Clowns aint exactly my favourite thing...

But you are correct, based upon the novel by Mr.King.

The Shining is an excellent film, it can spook people but it is a great film.

JerryC said:
Anything but religious horror for me(Exorcist, Sixth Sense, etc) Idk.. I think I traumatized myself when I watched "Signs of God" when I was 5

If you ever want to see a movie in the sub-genre, check out 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' - while it has some focus on the courtroom drama (which is really well done), there are a couple of really chilling moments (the exorcism moment in the barn, "I am ...." with the perfect light effects for those that have seen it).

Have you seen 'The Sixth Sense'? Beautiful piece of film making (even with the "horror" overtones) - the highpoint in Shamalamadingdong's career.

Back