SSB not that fun?

wenied

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2006
I rented SSBB yesterday and played for a few hours. The game has above average wii graphics and good gameplay, but I just found it boring.

I've already returned it, because I just didn't wanna play any more. I read all the reviews and everone seems to be amazed by it. Am I the only one who doesn't like it?

Pretty much. You probably are missing a chromosome or something :lol: :lol:

It is acctually kind of an Odd game, Im kinda suprised it has as much mass appeal as it does. My wife doesn['t get it eaither and only will play on occasion.
It's unique and fun but I could see how some might not like it.
Really without other people to play with it's not great. You need the multi player to understand its greatness, as with alot of Nintendo's big title games.

I'm sure you're not the only one, but you'd have to be in the minority. :lol: Just out of curiosity, have you played any of the previous games?

I am already thinking about sending this back to Gamefly too. Pick a character and fight; win or lose what does it matter? Nothing online gives me credit for the win or loss for that matter. It is just kind of repetitive online with some characters seeming to have many advantages over others. This would be a cheaper way of buying as gamefly only wants $40 for me to keep it and I got this sent out on launch so I know it is brand new. Another reason to rent before I buy. Glad others are enjoying it though.

I have never played a smash Bros. game before this one.

The people who didn't like SSBB probably have not played the other two. This game was EXTREMELY anticipated by those who had played the series before, so maybe the game's greatness came from the anticipation/satisfaction?

Pantalaimn said:
Thus proving my theory somewhat.

Last edited:
Im sure youre not the only one, my Wii is broke i need to send it off cause it wont pull in and eject discs on its own and i postponed that a few days just to play SSBB i think the game is great whether or not its single player or multi player but ive played SSB since N64

Thats kind of the point, Win or loose it doesn't matter its just about the Fun of fighting with characters that normally wouldn't. All though they have greatly improved the single player modes. And the more you play the more you unlock! The more you Win the More you unlock! Charcters,Stages,Classic games,trophies,ect. ect. ect.

It's a game of random non-sense that awards you with even more random non-sense the more you play. Because of its setup it's truly a universal game Casual,Hardcore even grandma usaully will enjoy playing a few rounds of SSB because it's more funny then violent. It's pick upa nd play appeal will just varry person to person.
Will it keep you comming back for more hours on end? Depends how bad you want to unlock everything and if you have anyone else to play with.

It doesn't ever really get old, you just eventually unlock everything and the game is turned into a Multi player only game like alot of other fighting games today.

I always thought Smash brothers was overrated to be honest. I never really saw what the appeal was both my mates play it religiously and they are always going to to me come on have a game.

I'm like meh this game sucks lol I never have liked smash bros from the first game to me it's just a average beat em up only hyped up because of the Nintendo connection.

Give me Soul caliber any day of the week that's what I would call a true beat em up experience.

I think it is getting boring because I usually win and I played everything on it.

I feel vindicated.

I've been saying for a long time that SSBB is being overhyped and doesn't have the universal appeal that the fanatic fanboys claim it does. "No, it's not a fighting game!" "You just don't understand!" Whatever.

A friend of mine got it recently so I'm going to check it out this coming weekend, but so far the reaction from the people I know has been "meh".

Exactly underneath the glitz of the nintendo characters it is a pretty average beat em up at best.

I wouldnt nessecarily call it a bad game but I wouldn't call it a essentail franchise either.

Pantalaimn said:
I am already thinking about sending this back to Gamefly too. Pick a character and fight; win or lose what does it matter? Nothing online gives me credit for the win or loss for that matter. It is just kind of repetitive online with some characters seeming to have many advantages over others. This would be a cheaper way of buying as gamefly only wants $40 for me to keep it and I got this sent out on launch so I know it is brand new. Another reason to rent before I buy. Glad others are enjoying it though.

i've never even played online yet, and i think this is, by far, the greatest game i have ever played

I really can't see how anyone can not like this game, unless they suck at it and no longer want to play it

this game is just so packed with tons everything, how can you not like a single aspect of it?

ally_uk said:
Exactly underneath the glitz of the nintendo characters it is a pretty average beat em up at best.

I wouldnt nessecarily call it a bad game but I wouldn't call it a essentail franchise either.

Seriously, you should re-think that. Smash bros series has unique fighting gameplay. In what other fighting game do you have to keep hitting an opponent until their percentage raises up, and then knock them out of the stage. I could go on and on how unique smash bros is as a series, but there would be too much to say.

read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_bros#Gameplay

Smash Bros.'s play controls are greatly simplified in comparison to other fighting games. While traditional fighting games such as Street Fighter or Soul Calibur require the player to memorize button-input combinations (sometimes lengthy and complicated, and often specific to a character), Smash Bros uses the same one-attack-button, one-control-stick-direction combinations to access all moves for all characters. Characters are not limited to constantly facing their opponent, but may run around freely. Smash Bros. also implements blocking and dodging mechanics, which can be used both on the ground and in the air. Grabbing and throwing other characters are also possible, allowing for a large variety of ways to attack.

that's just one paragraph...read the whole link

Last edited:
wenied said:
I rented SSBB yesterday and played for a few hours. The game has above average wii graphics and good gameplay, but I just found it boring.

I've already returned it, because I just didn't wanna play any more. I read all the reviews and everone seems to be amazed by it. Am I the only one who doesn't like it?

No, you're definitely not the only one.

*shakes fist at SSBB in anger*

Smash Bros.'s play controls are greatly simplified in comparison to other fighting games. While traditional fighting games such as Street Fighter or Soul Calibur require the player to memorize button-input combinations (sometimes lengthy and complicated, and often specific to a character), Smash Bros uses the same one-attack-button, one-control-stick-direction combinations to access all moves for all characters.

So this is how all matches go pretty much?

1. Spawn
2. Start pressing the "one" button
3. Win if you press it faster than your opponent

It may not be completely accurate (you'll have to go left and right and jump a few times), but that sounds pretty close with respect to pressing one button, yes?

Last edited:
The first time i played smash bros was at my friend's house seven years ago. the only reason i wanted the game was because it had Link in it.(I'm a Zelda fanatic)
Then, I realized the greatness of the multiplayer gameplay.
I loved the chaos going on in each stage.

Back