Wii/Ps3/360 sales.

2ballscrewball said:
you have to compare sales of consoles in numbers. It does not matter that people spent a billion dollars on ps3 and a billion dollars on the Wii. If that billion Dollars is 5 million Wii's and 2.5 million PS3's, the Wii is ahead. When you release a game, you cant sell 4 million copies if you only have 2.5 million consoles out there.

The money is made on the games, most companies lose money selling the consoles.

Agreed, I have no clue why someone would count dollars spent vs units sold.
If you sell 1 millions Wii's at $100, and 1 PS3 at 100 Million dollars, the dollars spent are the same, but who is going to be selling more games and accessories?

Nintendo is aiming at a totally different segment of the market... and its working! They truely brought the videoconsole to the livingroom.

http://nexgenwars.com/

An easy and straight foreward graph of sales for the 3 systems. BTW the Wii's sales for the first month were 1.2mil units. XBox360 was 1.2mil for the first 3 months. Wii's gonna catch up quickly. PS3? Well.. Yes many people were swayed away from all the commotion at launch, and for the fact that it really doesn't have many worthwhile games to justify that high pricatag.

vagrant said:
You are using a couple dozen people posting in a thread on a wii forum...as proof that just because a console isn't available doesn't mean people stop wanting it? I didn't prove your point at all. Because this forum is a pure concentration of wii fans, thus it hardly represents the general public. And I'll let you look for the article.

see below.

http://nexgenwars.com/

An easy and straight foreward graph of sales for the 3 systems. BTW the Wii's sales for the first month were 1.2mil units. XBox360 was 1.2mil for the first 3 months. Wii's gonna catch up quickly.

Ohh yes, lack of consoles definately effect things.

"few dozen people" eh?

Seeing as there's 210 pages or so, and an average of 3-5 new posters every page....I'd venture to say that's more than just a few dozen people.

Seeing as the general public has decided to buy 1.2 million consoles in the first month, and 1/3 of the consoles that the 360 sold (without competition) in half the time.....all despite lack of availability.....

And since when is it the opposition's job to gather evidence for the other side?

This isn't that hard a concept to get ahold of. I've already made it quite clear that I agree that lack of availability can have an effect, but it's small, and not nearly enough of an effect to sway a console war. I'm sorry, but if you look over this forum, over the threads and threads of people discussing their reasons for buying or not buying a PS3....number 1 certainly wasn't "lack of consoles at launch", it's either "Cost" or "Lack of titles". Just a thought.

RyanD said:

Nice article...

I nearly fell out of my chair reading this part

It will take time for the market to decide which company will dominate, but Sony was quick to toot its own horn about its performance during the holiday season.

“You can declare us a winner right now,” Peter Dille, senior vice president for marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, said in an interview. He said he was basing his declaration on the performance not just of the PlayStation 3 but on continued sales of software for the older PlayStation 2.

and

Mr. Dille of Sony countered that the company was selling out all of the PlayStation consoles that it could supply, price notwithstanding.

“We never saw any resistance to the price point,” he said.

TheMix said:
see below.

Ohh yes, lack of consoles definately effect things.

"few dozen people" eh?

Seeing as there's 210 pages or so, and an average of 3-5 new posters every page....I'd venture to say that's more than just a few dozen people.

Seeing as the general public has decided to buy 1.2 million consoles in the first month, and 1/3 of the consoles that the 360 sold (without competition) in half the time.....all despite lack of availability.....

And since when is it the opposition's job to gather evidence for the other side?

This isn't that hard a concept to get ahold of. I've already made it quite clear that I agree that lack of availability can have an effect, but it's small, and not nearly enough of an effect to sway a console war. I'm sorry, but if you look over this forum, over the threads and threads of people discussing their reasons for buying or not buying a PS3....number 1 certainly wasn't "lack of consoles at launch", it's either "Cost" or "Lack of titles". Just a thought.

Exactly what I've been saying. PS3 is too expensive, and doesn't have the games it promised. My computer has better graphics, and cost $200 less than the PS3, and has a library of over 1 million games. Skip the PS3. Save your money is what I say.

TheMix said:
It will take time for the market to decide which company will dominate, but Sony was quick to toot its own horn about its performance during the holiday season.

“You can declare us a winner right now,” Peter Dille, senior vice president for marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, said in an interview. He said he was basing his declaration on the performance not just of the PlayStation 3 but on continued sales of software for the older PlayStation 2.

Shall we say, winter was a success for SONY, not for the PS3.

Last edited:
musselwii said:
you cannot compare 360/ps3 to wii
not because the Wii is the almighty system, as some would say.
because Nintendo said , we are not part of the "Next Gen".

Its like comparing apples to oranges , sure they have some things in common both are good! both are fruits! both are shiny colours! the list goes on but they taste different and have different qualities.
Just because Nintendo and Sony launched there respective systems at the same time does not mean that they are to be compared to , they took oppposite roads in the same direction .
To give different people different systems , different games , different types of fun
Please stop comparing the Two (Two meaning Next Gen , and Wii)
They are not meant to be

Nintendo, and you can say that all you want. Though the Wii might not be next-gen, it is most definately competeing with them, thus people compare the 3. They are all competitors with each other. Therefore I and other people will continue to compare these 3 systems.

2ballscrewball said:
you have to compare sales of consoles in numbers. It does not matter that people spent a billion dollars on ps3 and a billion dollars on the Wii. If that billion Dollars is 5 million Wii's and 2.5 million PS3's, the Wii is ahead. When you release a game, you cant sell 4 million copies if you only have 2.5 million consoles out there.

The money is made on the games, most companies lose money selling the consoles.

I do agree with you 100% but the topic creator was talking about console sales thats why i mentioned consumer spending on... console sales.

I did also mention this at the end of my post: "This doesnt translate into net gain though unfortunatly for Sony." Which was my short version of your post.

sony has been keeping up with their estimates and statistics say that roughly 1.5 million ps3s have been sold. i am sure that the wii will continue to sell, but will lose steam in the second half of 2007 while the ps3 will continue to have steady sales, especially after the uk launch in march.

I look at the Wii sales and go "WOW", considering it has sold more in it's first month than the 360 did (just barely, but it did)!

It's long but please read it
First of all Nintendo sells 3 millions Wii in less than 3 months without online , Mario, Metroid, Brain training games, Pokemon and SuperSmash.And it's not available everywhere

Nintendo sells 3.8 million New Super Mario DS in 7 months & Nintendo sells millions of Brain train games,
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl for the DS sold over 1 million copies per game during the first few hours it went on sale. and now sold over 4.3 million copies in Japan only. and don't forget Metroid what will happen if these games com to Wii?
Increase the sales of the Wii.
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection gets over 260,000 daily users (www.joystic.com)
Nintendo's wifi gaming service looks to be doing well according to a Revogaming report. From the article: "Launched last November, the Nintendo WiFi Connection service, which offers free online multiplayer for a host of Nintendo DS games, has amassed over a million unique users in less than four months. The service's no-charge business plan and easy-to-use interface has propelled its' success, which could well surpass Microsoft's own Xbox Live service in its userbase." and this number just for the DS

What will happen if the online comes to the Wii? Same answer
Do you think the sales will slow in the future (I don't think so)
Don't forget SuperSmash, Resident Evil, Battalion Wars 2, Mario Party 8, Final fantasy, Dragon quest, Medal of honor, Fire Emblem and SSX Blur Etc.

Back