is religion real ?

Dawkins really needs to chill out and go and get laid. However typical of a theist that may sound, it's true. It's like the man has devoted his entire life to destroying religion- I personally think it's sad and desperate. The God Dillusion was fine (although not itself wthout flaws), but now the guy is starting to come off as a bit of a fundamentalist. He's entitled to his opinion, but his opinion comes across as both arrogant and ignorant.
I used to think the same thing, but I have since changed my mind. His arguments are generally reasoned. I can also see why he responds the way he does, looking at some of the things religion has done and some of the things religious people have said in ignorance of science. While it's not without it's flaws, it is actually logical and if you can follow it, it provides a perspective that celebrates science.

The thing is, is that it doesn't provide all the answers, but then it accepts that. It simply provides reasonable explanations for why things are the way they are as a rational alternative, rather than on equal footing (and whatever anybody says, Christianity is not the default if science cannot explain things straight away).

Fundamentalist? No, he doesn't bomb anyone, slaughter anyone, the worst thing he does is make people look foolish, specifically people who try to convert him or say "what if you're wrong?".

I used to think the same thing, but I have since changed my mind. His arguments are generally reasoned. I can also see why he responds the way he does, looking at some of the things religion has done and some of the things religious people have said in ignorance of science. While it's not without it's flaws, it is actually logical and if you can follow it, it provides a perspective that celebrates science.

The thing is, is that it doesn't provide all the answers, but then it accepts that. It simply provides reasonable explanations for why things are the way they are as a rational alternative, rather than on equal footing (and whatever anybody says, Christianity is not the default if science cannot explain things straight away).

Fundamentalist? No, he doesn't bomb anyone, slaughter anyone, the worst thing he does is make people look foolish, specifically people who try to convert him or say "what if you're wrong?".

Yes, but Dawkins is under the 'dillusion' (excuse the pun) that you cannot be a theist and celebrate science. And another thing, I never stated Christianity was the default if science cannot provide an immediate explanation.

Yes, but Dawkins is under the 'dillusion' (excuse the pun) that you cannot be a theist and celebrate science. And another thing, I never stated Christianity was the default if science cannot provide an immediate explanation.

One thing I've noticed is that many theists will tack on "God did it" to proper Science. For example, " Evolution is real, but God created Evolution"

I'm not saying all Theists do this, but it seems odd to me. A simple explanation to stay a Theist and attain salvation, but follow the norm of Science.

Yes, but Dawkins is under the 'dillusion' (excuse the pun) that you cannot be a theist and celebrate science.
No. He's not under that delusion. What he does believe is that religion and such spiritualism are complete rubbish. One can be indocrinated into the religious systems without lacking intelligence for science.

The scientists that do believe in religion aren't looking to put it as a definate reason for anything.

Besides, there's a difference between those that believe in 'something' and those that believe in the whole creation 6000 years ago, lack of evolution and Jesus as the son of God.

And another thing, I never stated Christianity was the default if science cannot provide an immediate explanation.
No, but others have implied this (not neccessarily anyone in this thread, but others have in the past), percieving any pseudo-win in an argument against evolution (though they never truely do) as a win in favour of the Christian origin story.

Last edited:
well first let me say one thing, thank you RPGmaster, i thank you for not only reading the post's before you spoke but understanding what i was trying to get across and making this thread peaceful again.
also i would like to these people have extremely good arguments going on and although i have not read all the post's yet(mostly the last 4 or 5 posts) i will and dive right back into this debate.
here are the one good argumentee's

squall7, navarre, the storm and bits of boethiah.
i will state one thing though so i can contribute to this thread.

one big major problem i have with Christianity(i am saying christainity as my main example for obvious reasons.) is that they according to the bible this world has only been in existence for about 12,000 years. also one thing to add is christrains according to the ones that stick to the bible don't believe in evolution boethiah.

one big major problem i have with Christianity(i am saying christainity as my main example for obvious reasons.) is that they according to the bible this world has only been in existence for about 12,000 years. also one thing to add is christrains according to the ones that stick to the bible don't believe in evolution boethiah.

There are many variations of Christianity, we don't all follow the same string. Actually, we have quite a bit of freedom. I don't think following God is a burden at all. However, I haven't been to church routinely for over a decade. God isn't forcing me to go.

There aren't many creationists out there, but most of them are really fricking old. There are A LOT of Christians that accept the theory of evolution. Hell, I was taught about it in my Catholic school.

Intelligent design would be one. Also Christianity isn't the only religion out there.
And to the war thing, religion is something that may separate one another but than again anything that people hold as dear to them can cause a major boundary between two groups of people. It teaches people to share and be tolerant, some people just do not listen.

I think its funny how so many people force themselves to go to church when the bible says nothing about church.

Really it says you are supposed to relax on the sabath day, so if you hate going to church the more christian-like thing to do is to not go.

I think if you want to believe in a religion then you shouldn't only listen to what other people preach about it. You should read the bible. Interpret it for yourself. Chances are your beliefs won't fully follow that of any of the variations of the religion.

I think its funny how so many people force themselves to go to church when the bible says nothing about church.

Really it says you are supposed to relax on the sabath day, so if you hate going to church the more christian-like thing to do is to not go.

its even funnier when people talk as if they know more than those who actually do.
the bible does talk about going to church. church isnt a building, nor is it a sunday morning service. Church is a community of people, who come together to learn and fellowship together. it isnt limited to a sermon sunday morning, or a youth group on friday nights. The bible tells christians to associate with one another, and to congregate to refresh and relax together. Not going to church isn't 'more christian-like', and is actually not a good thing. if you dont like the church you attend, find another, or investigate why you don't like it.

when the bible speaks of a sabbath day, it is meaning it as a day of rest from the labours of your week. if the bible speaks of congregating with other christians, what day would it make the most sense to meet? the day of rest of course.

YOu speak of someone who is ignorant of, but chooses to cross-believe what the Bible speaks.

also, a discussion on is religion real, is pointless. noone can prove faith to someone who doesnt want to believe. and someone who says 'ill believe when i am shown proof', will always find a 'logical' reason for their disbelief.

a reliegion thread should be stickied, closed, and left to die. nothing but hurt feelings will come of it.

Last edited:
that's true but based on what we do know i am 100 percent sure that religion is completely fabricated and until someone can prove otherwise i will continue to think that.

It will never be proved by the logic of man. It's just a matter of whether you believe or not. If you have a Bible, try reading I Corinthians 1:18-25. I g2g sleep now. -_-

Thats what i think, Humans have an incredibly high brain capacity. Does that equal unlimited knowledge? I don't believe that man, as a whole will be able to figure out everything. We've made a lot of advances and i'm sure it will continue to grow higher but it will eventually level out someday.

I think of all things, one's own being will be impossible to understand or figure out. Its simple yet I think it will be impossible understand.

Religions are lies.
Every religion is a hoax.
There is no God or Gods

through my own life expeience and upbringing i came to the above conclusions, even though my parents tried to raise a nice, respectful, christian child

I believe everyone is entitled their own opinion about religion. We don't know if religion is true or if there isn't a God or not.

But, wouldn't you rather believe in God and find out he isn't real, or not believe in God and find out he is real?

Back