People are idiots.

kissoff182

Comp Sci's Smurfette
Jan 11, 2007
Rohnert Park, CA
Wii Online Code
3101-2661-0950-9186
Who the hell says, "Times it by {some number here}."

What the hell? "Times it?" MULTIPLY IT. You know how much of an ignorant f.u.c.k. you sound like when you say "Times it?" Just wondering.

I am posting this because some whore in my combinatorics class today before class started was talking about the homework and she was like, "YEAH DO THIS THEN TIMES IT BY 2." I wanted to be smack her.

Ugh. Stupid whore.

kissoff182 said:
Who the hell says, "Times it by {some number here}."

What the hell? "Times it?" MULTIPLY IT. You know how much of an ignorant f.u.c.k. you sound like when you say "Times it?" Just wondering.

I am posting this because some whore in my combinatorics class today before class started was talking about the homework and she was like, "YEAH DO THIS THEN TIMES IT BY 2." I wanted to be smack her.

Ugh. Stupid whore.

Taking combinatorics she should know better... It's only proper when used "it's going to be 3 times hotter today than it was yesterday". Perhaps she's skilled in math, and not vocabulary.

What are you taking combinatorics courses for?

Boo hoo. Everyone understands what it means to "times" something, so what's the problem? If you want real abuse of the English language, I've known people to use "lol" in speech.

fistpittingnork said:
Taking combinatorics she should know better... It's only proper when used "it's going to be 3 times hotter today than it was yesterday". Perhaps she's skilled in math, and not vocabulary.

What are you taking combinatorics courses for?

Math minor. I had to take a Discrete Structures I and II and there was combinatorics in II, so I figured I should just take this course because I already know a thing or two about it. =P

Napalmbrain said:
Boo hoo. Everyone understands what it means to "times" something, so what's the problem? If you want real abuse of the English language, I've known people to use "lol" in speech.

I think it's due to laziness. "Multiply" has two more syllables than "times." No one says, "Plus a to b" because "add" and "plus" are both one syllable. No one says, "minus a from b" because "subtract" and "minus" both have two syllables. It seems like they're only willing to use proper English when it doesn't require their mouths to burn two extra calories.

Last edited:
i agree with what your saying, if you cant explain how dumb they look when they say it...heres a clue.

100,000,000,000. times it by 100,000 and your not even close...

Interesting. There are many words in the English language that mean the same thing as another word. Why should "times" be incorrect? Is there a difference in "transparent" and "see-through"? Is one incorrect, while another is correct? All language is dependent on those that use it. It's all codes which need to be deciphered, and in the end, your ability to understand the meaning behind it is not hampered - in effect, the language is understandable - it works and is therefore not "incorrect".

Also, it depends on how you were taught. I got taught "times by" rather than multiply (it sounds more upper-middle/upperclass anyway), as I went to a state school. In the UK, I think it is more of a class issue.

Who cares? Honestly it's not that big of a deal. Get over it.

I have to agree with the original poster although in not such harsh words. Grammar does matter, even it is understandable. Maybe the difference between multiply and times is not that great, but if you let up on those, then the language will just keep getting murdered.

Why stop double posting? People can still read it just fine. (just an example)

Brawny said:
I have to agree with the original poster although in not such harsh words. Grammar does matter, even it is understandable. Maybe the difference between multiply and times is not that great, but if you let up on those, then the language will just keep getting murdered.

Why stop double posting? People can still read it just fine. (just an example)

The English language is just a murdering of every other language in the world, pretty much, so you can't make it much worse.

yes yes, my mother always and still says that whoever invented the English language must have been drunk haha!! and yes when I cam to the USA (I'm from México) I entered into Algebra K class and then I heard it "times 2 and then times 5" and I was like what the hell? times? the correct way would be multiply or by..times is just stupuid

I have said this before and will say it again. It's really not that big of a deal and I honestly can't see why you people are getting worked up over one word. You people need to get over it already.

you could of spared your humiliation of creating a thread about this by just posting this in the Whats your biggest pet peeve? thread

Back