the ~Ask Anyone Anything~ thread

I have a question for all of you that are in college/university and beyond.

When did you know what you wanted to do with your life, and what events/information helped you come to that conclusion?

I will never understand the people that say they 'just knew' what they wanted to major in. I have no idea what I want to do and it's getting to the point where I shouldn't be saying "No worries, that's a long way off" anymore. Because I'm in a Post-Secondary program, I pretty much need to know what I'm going into before my first year of college, because I'll already have most of my generic classes done with. I generally enjoy the social sciences more than most other subjects, but I just don't see those as being reliable jobs. I also like writing, but I'm not educated enough in a specific topic to write books, and I also don't like the idea of getting payed according to my performance as a writer and not through a reliable rate, which scares me. I don't know, I guess I'm just worried because my cousin is in the exact same situation I am except he's going to college next year, and I don't want that to be me.

Well I'm a second year in college right now but... I still don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Really just try and find out a job that you can find yourself having some interest in. Don't put money as a priority, as you'll a spend ton of your time working anyways.

Seven inda house (other than me, 'course)
- Brawny
- Frogger
- Celeste
- Bliss
- Napalmbrain
- ROB64
- Gikoku

All interesting characters...

All the australians, except for gpole, plus AT?.

Dave, you need to come over. You haven't been at my house for what....8 years?

Yeaah. Your house gets too boring after a while.

Why have people ignored this question? :/

When did you know what you wanted to do with your life, and what events/information helped you come to that conclusion?

I will never understand the people that say they 'just knew' what they wanted to major in. I have no idea what I want to do and it's getting to the point where I shouldn't be saying "No worries, that's a long way off" anymore. Because I'm in a Post-Secondary program, I pretty much need to know what I'm going into before my first year of college, because I'll already have most of my generic classes done with. I generally enjoy the social sciences more than most other subjects, but I just don't see those as being reliable jobs. I also like writing, but I'm not educated enough in a specific topic to write books, and I also don't like the idea of getting payed according to my performance as a writer and not through a reliable rate, which scares me. I don't know, I guess I'm just worried because my cousin is in the exact same situation I am except he's going to college next year, and I don't want that to be me.

I've never been good at anything that can be involved in a routine, if I do get a job in art, I'll most likely not get paid on a consistent basis. I hate that. Another thing I hate is that I'm not good enough to draw on a one off and get paid a crap load of money. So, with that, I really don't know what I'm going to end up doing. I know how to draw, but I'm not experienced in everything enough, like I'm just starting to draw in Photoshop.

People have thrown illustrator, graphics designer, ARTIST (which is the worst and most vague term you could ever use), fashion designer and teacher at me, but I don't excel in ANY of those requirements. I'm sure I could do if I was dedicated to one of them, but I don't want to be. I just want to draw. SO, I've disregarded that as my career choice, but I'm still chasing some make believe dream by taking an art course in university. I haven't figured out which though. I probably should, seeing as I'm doing a foundation degree next year. I hate universities around here, none of them are assed with art either.

I'll end up taking every job that I'm given. My aunty was in the same situation, but she dropped out at college and went for the inspiring career of a secretary in an opticians. Eventually they gave her a course in it, and now she's an actual optician. She has a nice car too. Maybe I'll strike lucky somehow.

I think I'm going to university because I'm bored and it's the thing to do.

I still dont know exactly what i want to do with my life. i want to be out of this country by the time i am 30. and have a stable job and family. other than that. i dont know

After I had trudged through the first 4yrs of highschool unsure of what to do, each of my art teachers opened my eyes to two things... One introduced me to Photoshop, the other photography.

From then I wanted to find out if a career could be made from these two interests, as I had no idea of what else to do when I finished school. After investigating, I found some courses, and then discovered a place that would let me get the full degree in half the time that other places offered, not enjoying school that much I took this option, and have been happy ever since.

Where will the future take me? I'm not quite sure yet, at the end of this year I hope I can find a solid job, or start my own business.

And I'd still like to travel a bit.....Japan is looking good atm.

Keen to get an old place on the edge of the city and do it all up awesome cool like....thats a bit of a dream...or an apartment IN the city and do the same thing.

-7 female members
*Cough*
Frogger, Celeste, surfinrach90, hiMe, WiiWouldLike2Play, WiiGirl2006, wii_girliefairie.

Lewi T, Frogger, Celeste, surfinrach90, hiMe, WiiWouldLike2Play, WiiGirl2006, wii_girliefairie.

Here's my story. Maths was easy, somewhat interesting, and I did well, therefore I chose to do maths at uni. That decision was pretty much made at GCSE (err, end of high school, age 16), but I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do after uni. So I did maths at uni, and now, in my third (and possibly final) year, I still have no idea what I want to do. So in answer to your original question, I've never known what I wanted to do with my life, and I still don't, so I can't actually answer your question. Sorry.

Here's my story. Maths was easy, somewhat interesting, and I did well, therefore I chose to do maths at uni. That decision was pretty much made at GCSE (err, end of high school, age 16), but I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do after uni. So I did maths at uni, and now, in my third (and possibly final) year, I still have no idea what I want to do. So in answer to your original question, I've never known what I wanted to do with my life, and I still don't, so I can't actually answer your question. Sorry.
Same story here, except I'm out of uni and I'm still not sure what to do.

LevesqueIsKing said:

About a year ago, I wanted to get in the graphics design career.. Unfortunately I'm more than capable for the job, but I lack the history of taking any courses for it.. so nobody has taken me yet. I find it a waste of my time and money to take a course that would be a walk in the park for me. An amateur who has taken courses will get the job, while someone at a higher level (that hasn't taken any courses) does not.

Same with my line-drawing talents.. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places for the job.

About a year ago, I wanted to get in the graphics design career.. Unfortunately I'm more than capable for the job, but I lack the history of taking any courses for it.. so nobody has taken me yet. I find it a waste of my time and money to take a course that would be a walk in the park for me. An amateur who has taken courses will get the job, while someone at a higher level (that hasn't taken any courses) does not.

Same with my line-drawing talents.. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places for the job.

Sorry bud, but thats not true. The graphic design field is a very complicated one. The kid comin out of college is definitely not gettin that job, most companies want at least 2-4 years experience in the field. Thats why a lot of graphic designers join the Freelancers Union to get that experience. But honestly unless you have the clientele or know people, you should start lookin else where. But keep graphics on the side.

As for me, I went to college for graphic design, only for a year as i had to leave due to financial issues. Group of friends and I got together and tried Freelance work, but even in the union its hard to find work if you are new to the 'group'. So i left that worked retail just to pay the bills. Then my friend calls me up saying "I know u have no accounting experience but check this company out." So i go on the interview and COMPLETELY bullshit my way to the job. Ofcourse once i had it i had to work double time just to learn everything, but now its all a cake walk.
Still i am not officially happy, and honestly i dont think anyone ever should be. You should always want to be in a better position. But accounting isnt for me, its far to boring and i cant sit at a desk my entire life.

Last edited:
Back