The Official Pokemon Challenge Thread - Black/White Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, that is an interesting Challenge concept... an incredibly simple, singular limitation that utterly changes how you play the game; and naturally, also increases difficulty. I quite like this idea Monek, good on ya for thinkin' it up. :D Not only is it the kind'a Challenge you can't autopilot (Rule #2 means ya can't play through mindlessly, lest you lose good moves), but it heavily encourages larger teams and to an extent team diversity. This ruleset'a yours is gonna be officialized some way, shape or form. That I can promise ya. I definitely plan t' test run it once I'm done with my two N Challenge playthroughs... and speakin' of, I s'pose I should get movin' on them but quickly.

There's definitely some tweakin' to be done, 'course. Main thing I can see would be the specific Combined Challenge rules. For example, perhaps with Monomove/Moveset, a rule limiting Support moves to only one per moveset would be wise.

And the special rule for Monomove/Monotype, I don't like. IMO the defining characteristic of a Monotype Challenge team is how the Pokes differentiate themselves from their teammates. Abilities and dual-typing are important, but I feel what's most important is non-STAB coverage moves. So yeah, that particular rule probably won't see the light of Sunny Day.

Hello internet!

I just (yesterday) started a Nuzlocke on Pokemon Heartgold and I was wondering if it would be accepted because I followed all the rules and haven't beta Falkner just yet, I've just been grinding up my team...

I'm gonna do an update just because I need to do one per gym so:

I booted up my game, then created a character and named her Gold. I got all my options and stuff, and I set the text speed to fast and the frame to purple. I then went over to Elm's and got a Cyndaquil (m), which I named Tambora, after the volcano in Indonesia. I went to Mr. Pokemon's and back, and all that good stuff, when Elm called and Elm called and apparently Silver stole some Pokemon. I ran into him in Cherrygrove city and KOed his Totodile with ease. After thta, I named him, told my mom to save my money, and then Ethan showed me how catch a Rattata.

With that, I ste out on my journey. Encounter on Route 29: Hoohoot. I caught it and name it Cosmic (m). (Ya know, for the cosmic owl?) I then went up to Route 40 and caught a Geodude (f). I named it Zuma for Zuma rock in Nigeria. (It was the only "monolithe" thta sounded the slightest bit female.) I continued to Route 30, where I encountered a Rattata, Remmy, whom I caught. On Route 31, another Rattata apperaed, and I KOed it. I got my encounter fr Dark Cave, a Zubat (f), whom I named Bella. I got to violet city, (after receiving a VS. Recorder from Ethan) and I trained at the Sprout tower, and after beating that sidequest, beta the the two gym trainers in the gym, before going to grind my team up to lvl. 14. (I haven't finished yet.)

Calm Cyndaquil, Tambora lvl. 11 (m)
Brave Hootoot, Cosmic lvl. 11 (m)
Modest Zubat, Bella lvl. 7 (f)
Serious Geodude, Zuma, lvl. 9 (f)
Sassy Rattata, Remmy, lvl. 14 (m) (And may I mention hes the top %?)

Quick update on my (Unofficial) Heartgold Nuzlocke.

After I didn't save after training up Bella (my Zubat) I re-did that, and I began to train Zuma, (my Geodude) but she sustained serious damage from a Belsprout, so I moved my training to Dark Cave.

After reaching level 12, partially out of laziness and partially out of realization, I decided that Zuma would probably level up after she sweeped the gym.

I started the battle with Falkner, and after KOing his Pidgey, he sent out his Pidgeotto, and it used gust. Zuma almost fainted because of Zuma's lack of Sp.Def.. I sent in Remmy. I then switched out to Cosmic. I used Hypnosis, and it hit. Then I used UPROAR. I had forgot that it woke up the opponent. Then...

... Pidgeotto

...killed

...Cosmic.

After that, Bella finished the Pidgeotto off and I recieved TM51 and the Zephyr Badge.

Another update on my Unofficial Heartgold Nuzlocke!

After the murder at the Violet City Gym, I left the gym and got a call from prof. Elm. He told me to pick up the Monek egg from the Violet City Pokemart. I went there and got the egg (along with a super potion from my Mom). After that, I went back down to Route 31, encountered a Zubat/Rattata (I can't remember) and killed it. I scolded myself before remembering that that was the same route that I had already grinded on. I continued down the path and went the dock way, since I had no interest in Bullet Seed and wanted to fight the Fishermen.

Afterwards, I went through Union Cave and accidentally KOed the Zubat I encountered. The same thing happened with the route that you go on before you get to Azalea Town. I went and did the Slowpoke Well, (WHERE I ACCIDENTALLY KOED MY FIRST ENCOUNTER AGAIN) and defeated the Rocket Grunts with ease.

I then went to the PokeCenter and healed up and went to grind/try to hatch the Monek egg. After grinding Remmy to level 20 and Tambora to level 18, the Monek egg hatched! I nicknamed it Monek even though it was male, wasn't quiet nature, and didn't have Serene Grace as its ability. (I've decided to rename it Monek II once I get to Goldenrod). Because Monek hatched, I decided to do something eventful and go fight/Destroy Silver. I opened with Monek, to see what he would lead with and to get Monek XP. I then went in with Bella, who took 20 damage from curse. A quick Astonish and it was down. I switched in Monek to get XP, but it sent out Crocanaw, and the only Pokemon that werent weak to water/weak were Bella and Remmy. I didn't want to send in Remmy because he had already been trained and Bella was only lvl. 16, (but remeber, she had taken 20 damage). A hasty attack and Bella fell... And died.

I finished the battle with Remmy and then went but Bella in the RIP box. (RIP boxes are OK, right? Or do I have to release them?) I then went back to grinding. (which I'm doing now)

ANOTHER (I'm sorry! I have a lot of time during the summer!) Heartgold Nuzlocke Update

***Quick note: I interpreted rule 3 as: you can let Monek die whenever you want to! and also, after reading the rules on the Official Nuzlocke thread, apparently Duplicates clause is on! But I decided that I'm gonna have it off anyways because I don't want to go back though all those routes... OK! ON TO NUZLOCKIN'!

OK, I should probably point out that the reason I didn't take an encounter in Ilex was caue I wanted to headbutt a tree and possibly get a Butterfree/Cosmic II. So anyways, I went on and trained Tambora to level 20, and Zuma to 18 (I figured that Zuma would get XP as it swept the gym.)

I went thru the gym with no problem, and got the badge plus U-Turn. Afterwards I went thru Ilex and after I taught Headbutt to Monek, I headbutted the tree and got... A metapod. A metapod. A fcking metapod. A FCKING METAPOD!

After raging for a considerable amount of time, I went back to the game and KOed my encounter for the new route, a Pokemon I was kinda xcited for. (Drowzee). I then arrived in Goldenrod.

About the Monomove:
Yay! My first likes!

And the special rule for Monomove/Monotype, I don't like. IMO the defining characteristic of a Monotype Challenge team is how the Pokes differentiate themselves from their teammates. Abilities and dual-typing are important, but I feel what's most important is non-STAB coverage moves. So yeah, that particular rule probably won't see the light of Sunny Day.

Yeah, I was a bit iffy on it, but I thought I'd try to do something special for combined, and obviously it didn't work lol... But you're definitely right, and when I thought of it, I wasn't to keen on putting it down.

Heartgold Nuzlocke:
After arriving in Goldenrod, I went straight for the game corner, with this link in hand. 12,100 coins later, Puff the Timid Dratini was added to the team, and Tambora got Flamethrower. After getting Puff, I grinded for a bit (got him to level 21), and then decided to take an encounter on the Route north of Goldenrod. (42?). I got a Pidgey lvl. 14, Lax nature. I wasn't to happy about it, considering Whitney's Miltank has Rollout, plus my other 2 flying types (Cosmic and Bella, RIP!), plus my flying-type-to-be, Monek II, (RIP!) have all been killed, and no one else.
I named him Pidge, for lack of a better famous Bird. I went to the gym and went straight to Whitney, because I had already grinded on the other beauties in the gym :)cool:). I sent in Pidge to take a thunder wave, (metronome), then sent in Tambora and Flamethrowered the Clefairy. When she sent in her Miltank, I sent in Zuma, who used two defense curls, and beat Whitney with her own attack. (Rollout).

Afterwards, I advanced to today IRL: I decided to do the Bug Contest, and my encounter was: SCYTHER. (I named it Bishop, 'cause it was a praying mantis, right? Right?)

I caught it on the 18th Sport ball, and guess what? It had a JOLLY NATURE! My lucky day, right? (nope- shh! I haven't gotten there yet!) I taught it Roost and U-Turn. Then I went to the Suicune thing. I KOed his Ghastly easily, with... (I dont remember). Then, when his Crocanaw came out, Pursuit did about 0 damage. So I decided to utilize U-turn, remembering how much it did with Bugsy's level 18 Scyther. I switched out, and sent Pidge in. One Ice Fang, and Pidge joins tghe cast of Flying types in Bird Pokemon heaven. *sigh*

The battle is finished by my amazing Dratini. Then, right after I begin to grind with the old ladies at Morty's gym, Scyther was cursed to death. And thats for this update.

MY HEARTGOLD TEAM, IN-DETAIL

Active:

Serious Geodude, Zuma (f): none
Sturdy, level 23+, (I haven't grinded him yet)
-Magnitude
-Defense Curl
-Rollout
-Rock Polish
Calm Quilava, Tambora (m): Charcoal
Blaze, level 23+
-Quick Attack
-Flame Wheel
-Smokescreen
-Flamethrower

Timid Dratini, Puff, (m): none
Shed Skin, level 23+
-Slam
-Thunder Wave
-Twister
-Dragon Rage

Sassy Raticate, Remmy
Guts, level 23+
-Hyper Fang
-Sucker Punch
-Quick Attack
-Pursuit

HM Slave, Slave
-HM
-HM
-HM
-Scratch

THE FALLEN:

Modest Zubat, Bella (would've changed to Belle when it evolved)(f)
Brave Hoothoot, Cosmic (m)
Jolly Scyther, Bishop (m)
Lax Pidgeotto, Pidge (m)

I've been too lazy t' learn the ins and outs of tic tac toe, none the less [STRIKE]Minesweeper[/STRIKE] Voltorb Flip. I 'preciate that there link. :lol:

Puff the Timid Dratini

I had already grinded on the other beauties in the gym :)cool:)

lol'd twice

Well, after having lost only my flying types, and my almost flyingt types, Puff fell to a Raticate on the way to OLivine.

Afterwards, I grinded and Zuma evolved.

I took an encounter via fishing, and got Julia Corsola.

After beating the lighthouse, and on the way to Cianwood, Julia ran out of PP in both her attacking moves, and spammed healing moves until a critical bubblebeam. Goodbye, Julia.

And Zuma.

And Tambora.

So, with only Remmy (and a poorly named Shuckle) up against Chuck, I decided I needed to grind like hell. I started with the Suicune event. Goodbye, Remmy.

And I caught a HM slave to swim back to go everywhere I hadn't taken an encounter:

Cherrygrove

Whirl Islands

Ecruteak

And after going back to Ilex to get heabutt:

Cosmic II killed. "Shuckie" before we could catch it.

I had a good run.

And with that, I'll need 6 Pokemon for a Scramble for White 2. And I don't want too use any Pokemon (except my starter) that I'd be able to find in-game.

I can trade, but not with myself.

Last edited:
Well, that's the typical ending for one's first try at a Nuzlocke... good effort. I'm sure ya learned quite a bit from takin' a shot at it, so it's doubtless you'll win your next one.

And I don't want too use any Pokemon (except my starter) that I'd be able to find in-game.

That's what I like t' hear. :D

I'll give ya Omastar and [STRIKE]Mewtwo[/STRIKE] Honchkrow. RNG was rather generous this time, I'd say.

Well, that's the typical ending for one's first try at a Nuzlocke... good effort. I'm sure ya learned quite a bit from takin' a shot at it, so it's doubtless you'll win your next one.

That's what I like t' hear. :D

I'll give ya Omastar and [STRIKE]Mewtwo[/STRIKE] Honchkrow. RNG was rather generous this time, I'd say.

Oooh! I've never used either of those before! Omastar looks interesting (dat 125 base Special Attack), although I'm not sure I want to evolve him, considering he learns Hydro Pump at some ridiculous level, and Honchcorw looks good, another I don't think I would've used.

But on the topic of that Scramble, I was wondering if I had to use my starter, because I think it would be cool to have a team of random Pokes...

And, (although this isn't necessarily related to the thread), I'm doing another Nuzlocke! (I was inspired by reading the comics after Shuckie died). I won't be posting on this site, but I will be posting on serebii, (if I can find a good thread).

Nope, no Challenge requires you t' use your starter. Truth be told, I'm actually against usin' starters since they evolve quickly; and even prior to evolution, they're better than anythin' you can find wild. That, and as I implied, a Challenge is most fun when usin' Pokes ya don't normally have access to (IMO). You always have access to a starter, so... yeah.

In that case, I'm definitely not using a starter, just because I've used all the gen 5 starters about a couple more trillion times then the rest of them, playing through each game with each starter...

Yup

Harmonia-White Update

With my second badge in hand, I made my way off t' Pinwheel Forest to catch my new team's first Poke. Ended up findin' a Naive Petilil; definitely not what I'm lookin' for to take on Burgh... 'Least it knows Sleep Powder. I hastily returned to Pinwheel Forest's outer area t' catch my second Poke, a Hasty Tympole. I really dislike Tympole (it's uglier than sin...), but I really needed a second Poke ASAP. More importantly, a Water-type would come in handy later.

With two Pokes, I returned to the innards of the forest t' search for my final team member in a ground-shaking spot; a Pansear. I found two Panpour and, as one would expect, a passel of Audino. Great experience for my two Pokes, but my patience was wearin' thin after more than half an hour of searchin'. =/ One final Audino t' round out my Pokes' levels at 20 and I gave up my search.

... 'Cept that last Audino turned out t' be a Lax Pansear instead. :D Lady luck havin' mercy on me, ain't that a rarity. Now that I caught my proper team, the ol' Fire-Water-Grass core classic, I went on with trouncin' Plasma and makin' my way to Castelia, in which moar Plasma pwnin' took place. After fightin' a few trainers 'round the city for some much needed experience, I finally got to takin' on Burgh. His gym is far cooler in BW2.

Naturally, I evolved Pansear with a Fire Stone after it learned Flame Burst. Tympole evolved after beatin' the last Gym trainer. Time for the Leader himself. At the beginnin' of the battle, Palpitoad's Bubblebeam eradicated Venipede in one crit. Naturally, Burgh sent out Leavanny, prompting me t' switch to Simisear. One Flame Burst felled it, as expected. With only his Dwebble left conscious, it's obvious it wasn't gonna beat Palpitoad, or even Petilil. Two Flame Bursts finished the rather easy match; Insect Badge get! Time for a new team. Definitely gonna get a Sandile t' troll Elesa.

... Also, I figured out ya could catch a Darumaka without needin' to get the Insect Badge first. All that searchin' for a Pansear was a tad pointless. ._.;

The team is as follows:

Petilil @ Miracle Seed, Lv. 22
Naive

Magical Leaf
Leech Seed
Sleep Powder
Mega Drain

I wish I could keep you... ;_;

Palpitoad @ Eviolite, Lv. 25
Hasty

Mud Shot
Aqua Ring
Uproar
Bubblebeam

Simisear @ Scope Lens, Lv. 23
Lax

Yawn
Bite
Flame Burst
Rock Smash

nothin new lawl

It's gettin' obvious to me that my rule change of team size = badges <5 was a good idea, as I would've been underleveled had I not faced all those Audino, catchin' Pansear or not. Level grindin' was once again necessary early-game, which is somethin' I don't really want.

Also, I'm thinkin' 'bout killin' the evolution line rule. Haven't encountered a point where said rule's been relevant yet, but I remember someone doin' a Combined Nuzlocke Challenge askin' if they could catch a wild Steelix since their Onix had perished in battle. If it's allowed in a Nuzlocke, why shouldn't I allow it in the Harmonia Challenge? It'd also give you reason t' not evolve your Pokes if ya can catch it's evolved form later in the game, givin' challengers another strategical thing t' think about in the long term.

Welcome t' Wiichat, amigo. =) Your Challenge is accepted. Hope ya have fun with it.

Harmonia-White Update

Soon as I booted up my DS, I made a mad-dash for the Desert Resort t' find my first new team member. Now, I tend t' get mighty crafty with Repels. Petilil just so happened t' be Lv. 22, so I took full advantage of the coincidence to go catch either a level 22 Sandile or Dwebble up in the Resort. I was bein' so picky 'bout the location since I in particular wanted a Sandile t' trash Elesa with, and Dwebble is the only other Poke in the Desert Resort that can be Lv. 22; with only a 10% encounter rate t' boot, whereas Sandile has a hefty 40%.

Wouldn't ya know it, after 'bout five minutes of searchin' (and four bloody Super Repels), I found a Dwebble instead'a Sandile... ._.; I'd be worse off with a Scraggy or Maractus, but was a tad irked since I wanted a Whirlipede as my third Poke. After releasin' the old team, I nabbed a Sandile and Darumaka back in the Resort and got to level grindin' on all the trainers. Still surprises me how hard a Hustle-boosted Fire Punch from Darumaka hits. OHKO'd a Tranquil the same level as itself.

Once I got to Nimbasa, I headed straight t' the gym to take on Elesa. The gym trainers were a joke between Sandile's STAB Dig and Rock Tomb for the Emolga. Elesa didn't fare much better; Dwebble's Stealth Rock ensured Sandile's Rock Tomb would KO prior to a boost from Moxie. Two KO'd electric rodents later, +2 Sandile OHKO'd her Zebstrika. Bolt Badge get! sandile so cheap loooooooool. Took a break here t' decide what I'll do to take on Clay.

The team is as follows:

Dwebble @ Amulet Coin, Lv. 25
Shell Armor
Rash (as if it wasn't frail enough to Special attacks)

Bug Bite
Stealth Rock
Smack Down
Dig

Sandile @ Eviolite, Lv. 29
Moxie
Naive

Rock Tomb
Crunch
Retaliate
Dig

Darumaka @ Scope Lens, Lv. 25
Hustle
Naive (... that's my fourth Poke with a Naive nature)

Fire Fang
Fire Punch
Dig
Facade

I believe my thoughts on the evolutionary line rule and Harmonia's team size rule are of merit. IMO one'a the key points of Harmonia Challenges is t' make sure you're never overleveled and are actually forced to fight more Pokemon than ya might normally, or compensate accordingly with sharper strategy and heavier item usage. However, the main complaint of the Challenge (reciprocated by everyone) is that there's still too much grindin'. I agree, so team size is officially capped at 3.

Furthermore, General Rules #4 (no usage of multiple Pokes in the same evolution line, bar split evolutions) has been tweaked. Now, you can't use multiple Pokes of the same line simultaneously. The new wording is mainly in regards to the Harmonia Challenge so that y'all can catch (pre)evolutions of Pokes ya caught earlier, but left unevolved.

Updated Harmonia Challenge Ruleset

Changes are listed in bold.​

1. After obtaining each badge, you MUST catch an entirely new team of Pokemon equal to or greater than the number of badges you have. If that many new species can't be caught, catch as many as possible. You are never required to catch more than three Pokemon, even after obtaining four or more badges. You must release/permanently box your current team as soon as you catch the first Pokemon for your new team.

2. The first Pokemon encountered when it's time to catch a new team MUST be caught and used. If you fail to catch that Pokemon, you MUST find another of the same species and catch it for your team prior to catching any other Pokemon.

3. If you catch a full team of six, you may NOT catch any more Pokemon until you are required to make a new team.

4. After beating a gym leader, you may NOT catch Pokemon in ANY location you have traveled through prior to arriving at that gym's city for the first time.*

5. If you're playing a version which lets you battle Gym Leaders out of order, do NOT defeat them in the wrong order.

6. You may NOT obtain and/or hatch eggs. You may NOT conduct any trades, be it with another game or in-game.

7. Pokemon required to be boxed/released may NOT be kept and used as an HM slave. N does not approve of Pokemon slavery.

8. You may NOT use Revives in the middle of a battle. N would never repeatedly send his Pokemon to be knocked out.

9. The Harmonia Challenge may not be combined with the following for a Combined Challenge: Scramble, Single Monotype, or Moveset.

10. The following is a list of game-specific clauses.

Hoenn games: You may catch Pokemon in the desert area of Route 111 after defeating Flannery, despite already traveling through the non-desert part of the route.

Johto games: When traveling to Kanto for the first time, you will catch a new team one final time, and may catch a single Pokemon from an area you've already visited. After obtaining any Kanto badges, you are not required to catch a new team.

*In the case that Rule #4 cannot be followed because no locations are left to catch ANY Pokemon, you are to obtain a full team of Pokemon by catching the first, and only the first Pokemon encountered in any areas of your choice. You still may not capture any Pokemon you have already obtained.

If at any time you're forced to use this exception, please post why you believe it is required before advancing any further in your Challenge. This is both to ensure you aren't forgetting an area you can capture Pokemon at, or so a new clause may be created to solve the issue.

Can't say I do, t'is fine.

Harmonia-White Update

... Haven't started playin' yet, but I plan to later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back