The Official Pokemon Challenge Thread

The most difficult Challenge would be a Nuzlocke Combined with pretty much every ruleset splashed in.

heh splash

Nuzlocke aside, the Challenge ya listed is really up there in difficulty with that custom rule. Maybe downright-impossible. It's accepted if you're down for those parameters; don't forget you can scrap that custom rule at any time, as it's not an official rule. Truth be told, I believe the Challenge would be nigh-unbeatable if ya stuck to it. Unevolved Challenges are immaculately difficult without overleveling to compensate for lower stats... throw in extra Challenge rulesets, and it's a recipe for one hell of a difficult time.

Sounds really hard if you're not even able to get the right moves to make up for the level gap, which itself is really tough.

X MUSS UPDATE

Trying not to gain too many levels on the way, I started heading towards Lumiose City again, this time to battle the gym, stopping off at the Power Plant on route 13 since some dodgy stuff was going on in there. I wanted to skip as many Flare grunts as possible, but it turns out you have to battle all of the grunts in the Power Plant, which was super easy.
Once the Power Plant was back to normal and the power was back on in Lumiose City, I continued on my way to the 5th gym. The quizzes were super easy so I got to Clemont really quickly.
At the start of the battle, I used Hone Claws, not for the attack boost, but for the accuracy boost. Then it was just a simple matter of using Fury Cutter 'til victory as Anorith was able to outspeed everything.
I managed to avoid every trainer on the way to Laverre City so healing wasn't necessary as I healed after Clemont. So I went straight to the gym to get another badge. It was at this point that I decided to do a pseudo-no item challenge where I limit the number of items allowed to 3 per battle.
On the way to Valerie, I managed to hit every single one of the Furisode Girls and consequently, Anorith was at level 52 at the start of the gym battle. Her lead pokemon was Mawile and since Anorith didn't have any moves that weren't resisted, I went for a Hone Claws as Mawile used Iron Defence. So instead of trying to match its stat boosts, I started building up the power of Fury Cutter. It took ages to get rid of the Mawile, and it was necessary to heal about halfway through, but eventually the Mawile was gone and everything else was OHKOed with Fury Cutter.

With 6 badges under my belt, I was required at the Pokeball factory to heal deal with the pesky Team Flare, which wasn't too bad. Serena alwas actually helpful in the double battle, flinching the Manectric with Fake Out while Anorith took out Liepard, allowing Anorith to take out Manectric next turn without taking any damage at all :)

Anorith Lv.54 @Eviolite
Adamant
Battle Armour
- Return
- Fury Cutter
- Knock Off
- Hone Claws
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31

I'm kinda busy playing Pokemon FireRed (gba4ios <3) and Diablo, so I'll write this short update before I forget it
Right after the gym I turned off the op share and just stuck to the traditional way of training Pokemon. After fighting the really weak Team Flare members I actually had quite a hard time in the Mirror Cave before finally reaching Shalour City. The first thing I did was catching a Heracross as my next team member and trained it in the rival fight and the gym trainers before challenging Korrina. Only Machoke could hurt Shedinja, so I took it out with Heracross and Vivillon before winning this pretty easy fight. Then in the next fight with her Mega Lucario you actually had to break the rules, but I guess it's not really punishable. After that I got a Scyther egg from the mighty Karp and started training it a bit before taking a break from this game for a while,

Vivillon lvl 34 with quirky nature and Compound Eyes holding Silver Powder

-Draining Kiss
-Psybeam
-Stun Spore
-Struggle Bug

Shedinja lvl 31 with hardy nature and Wonder Guard

-Scratch
-Sand Attack
-Shadow Claw
-Confuse Ray

Dwebble lvl 33 with relaxed nature and Shell Armor

-Rock Slide
-Bug Bite
-Stealth Rock
-[STRIKE]Faint[/STRIKE]Feint Attack

Heracross lvl 28 with calm nature and Swarm
-Aerial Ace
-Chip Away
-Counter
-Brick Break

Scyther lvl 12 with naughty nature and Swarm
-Vacuum Wave
-Quick Attack
-Focus Energy
-Night Slash

Once I finish my current challenge, I want to do a Harmonia / Nuzlocke on X, but I just thought of a few problems this combination causes:
For the first gym you'll only NEED your starter (Harmonia rules) but could you catch pokemon in the first route and use it for the second gym (etc...)? If not I feel like there'll be a huge pokemon shortage later on when there aren't 3 new routes between gyms.
The 'catching a pokemon' rules clash if you fail to catch said pokemon. Which takes priority? If Nuzlocke, again I feel like there could be a shortage of 'mons if you get bad luck

Last edited:
Ahh, you're very right in your observations 'bout the difficulty of a Harmonia Challenge in XY. The "keep one Pokemon from your previous team" rule would go far in circumventin' the issue. I'll have to forge a proper rule for it soon.

As for the clash of rules with a Harmonia/Nuzlocke, Nuzlocke would have to win out. Generally, I would want Nuzlocke to overrule the other Challenges in a Combined, 'less it outright breaks the Challenge. I'll have t' type up a specific clause for that.

All'a your thinkin' on the ruleset is much appreciated. ♪

So the Nuzlocke rule is the one to follow in terms of catching 'mons?
What would happen if you just get a crazy amount of bad luck and fail to catch every encounter in new routes? You wouldn't be able to get a team of 3

It's kinda like the dupes clause used in normal Nuzlockes, so if you already caught that Pokemon you can count it as not an encounter

Yeah I know that. Dupes clause is kinda compulsory due to the Harmonia rules. I was just talking about if you accidentally KO it while trying to weaken it. The Nuzlocke rules say that you don't get a new 'mon for that route, whereas the Harmonia rules say you have to hunt that pokemon down and catch it

What would happen if you just get a crazy amount of bad luck and fail to catch every encounter in new routes? You wouldn't be able to get a team of 3

Ya might recall Harmonia's first rule.

1. After obtaining each badge, you MUST catch an entirely new team of Pokemon equal to or greater than the number of badges you have. If that many new species can't be caught, catch as many as possible. You are never required to catch more than three Pokemon, even after obtaining four or more badges. You must release your current team as soon as you catch the first Pokemon for your new team. HM slaves may be boxed.

If ya end up knockin' Pokemon out instead'a catchin' 'em, and can't catch as many Pokemon as needed, you default to the bolded part'a the rule and merely catch as many as ya could.

While on this topic, might as well mention Nuzlocke will overrule Harmonia rule #2.

2. The first Pokemon encountered when it's time to catch a new team MUST be caught and used. If you fail to catch that Pokemon, you MUST find another of the same species and catch it for your team prior to catching any other Pokemon.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that part of the rule. I guess that clears most of it up.

While on this topic, might as well mention Nuzlocke will overrule Harmonia rule #2.

2. The first Pokemon encountered when it's time to catch a new team MUST be caught and used. If you fail to catch that Pokemon, you MUST find another of the same species and catch it for your team prior to catching any other Pokemon.

So does that rule get overruled?

Last edited:
I've had this part done for a while, I just never got around to writing it.

X MUSS UPDATE

I decided to stop purposely avoiding trainers since I'm most definitely going to need a huge level advantage over Siebold, but at the same time, I'm not going to go out of my way to battle everyone. Anyway, Route 15 was mostly easy except for a Fairy Tail Girl who had a Klefki and Mawile (Fairy/Steel types resist all moves Anorith has/will have). They got close to KOing Anorith so I had to use a healing item, but apart from her, Route 15 was really nice to me and my Anorith that I've gotten so close to during this experience. Once at Anistar, Serena wanted another battle in front of the gym. I went into this battle expecting it to be easy (like the previous times I've battled her) and that Anorith would OHKO everything with Fury Cutter. Turns out her now fully evolved Delphox poses a slight problem if it comes out right after I one-hit her lead by not fainting to a single Fury Cutter (this might be better once I get the Rock Slide TM), but luckily it wasn't able to do too much damage and, consequently, the battle wasn't too hard. The gym was laugably easy with Fury Cutter (you may have noticed that this is more or less my main move now along with Return). The only thing that didn't get wrecked in one hit was Olympia's Sigilyph which only set up Reflect, but that didn't make any difference at all since I got a crit against her Slowking and OHKOed it because of that. Meowstic didn't stand a chance at all.
Right as I left the gym, Serena wanted to battle me again, probably expecting a different outcome to a few moments earlier. But we didn't get to battle 'cause freaking Lysandre announced to all trainers through the Holocaster that they were going to die (or something along those lines)! So, instead of battling, [strike]we[/strike] I went to Lumiose to try to find Lysandre and stop him. I found him behind a secret passage in his café and he promptly challenged me to a battle.
I took out his Mienfoo with a single Return which caused him to send his Gyarados out and utterly wreck Anorith. But I wouldn't give uo that easily. I tried again, but this time I used Hone Claws a few times before KOing Mienfoo so that Anorith would be able to OHKO Gyarados even after taking the Intimidate. From there it was simply just OHKO everything with Return. The rest of Lysandre Labs went pretty well with very little difficulty...except for all the way at the bottom with the scientist Xerosic. He was no problem to beat, but he insisted on activating the Ultimate Weapon even though Lysandre very clearly said I could choose whether to activate it or not (I chose no btw). So I had to go to Geosenge Town, to try and stop Team Flare yet again.
Their secret passage was easy to find and the battle with Lysandre went better than last time as I learnt that I won't OHKO Gyarados without setting up some Hone Claws due to Gyarados' Intimidate.
At this point I checked Anorith's level and found it to be 71... how did that happen? Ah well, whatever.
So with Serena finally helping out and not being useless for once, we went down the stairs, battling and beating all who got in our way. Halfway down, Shauna caught up to us and insisted on coming. Once at the bottom and at the source of the power for the ultimate weapon we were confronted by several Team Flare trying to stop us. Pfft, like that's gonna happen... no, wait Shauna! Come back! Not you too Serena! Damn it. Well, I guess I'm on my own now. So without the back up of my friends, I had to deal with the 4 Flare Grunts by myself which was no problem for my OP Anorith. Once I took them all out, I went back to the pokécentre and healed before getting into the battle with Xerneas. The battle with Xerneas was very anti-climactic as I just threw my Master Ball turn 1. And since I didn't have a team of 6 at the time, Xerneas was put in my team in slot 1 -_-. Immediately after the Xerneas "fight", Lysandre comes in and challenges me to do battle with him one last time. I accept.
As usual he leads with his Mienshao and since I'm leading with Xerneas, not by choice, I switch to Fletchling to get KOed so I could safely bring in Anorith (that's not breaking the rules right? Since I didn't have a choice of who I was leading with.) Anorith sets up 2 Hone Claws while Mienshao uses Swords Dance and Acrobatics in that order. Return does enough to OHKO Mienshao, Honchkrow and Pyroar before Gyarados comes out and gets an Intimidate off. Knowing that Gyarados is about to mega evolve and gain Dark typing, I used Fury Cutter, knowing that it'll do more damage than a max power Return due to STAB and super-effectiveness and OHKOed it even after the Intimidate.
After Lysandre's speech, the cool animation thing and the long conversation with my friends, I flew over to Anistar City and then walked to Couriway Town to do batte with the Professor.
Moving on quickly, I healed up and left town to get Waterfall from Shauna so I could get Rock Slide for Anorith. After beating my friends, Shauna gave me Waterfall, as expected, but also told me that I couldn't use until I had the badge from Snowbelle City :(. So with that in mind, Snowbelle was my next target.

Anorith Lv.77 @Eviolite
Adamant
Battle Armour
- Return
- Fury Cutter
- Knock Off
- Hone Claws
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Current stats:
HP: 188
Atk: 236
Def: 112
SpA: 77
SpD: 108
Spe: 177

karp almighty dat text wall

So does that rule get overruled?

Yep, no retries on catchin' a Pokemon if ya fail.

The battle with Xerneas was very anti-climactic as I just threw my Master Ball turn 1. And since I didn't have a team of 6 at the time, Xerneas was put in my team in slot 1 -_-. Immediately after the Xerneas "fight", Lysandre comes in and challenges me to do battle with him one last time. I accept.
As usual he leads with his Mienshao and since I'm leading with Xerneas, not by choice, I switch to Fletchling to get KOed so I could safely bring in Anorith (that's not breaking the rules right? Since I didn't have a choice of who I was leading with.)

Aye, that's a legal move. The game givin' you Xerneas inherently breaks the rules like Korrina givin' you Lucario, so ya can't be faulted for it. That "free" switch is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Back