Turning point for Nintendo?

Irtaza9993

Wii Gamer
Oct 13, 2007
Generally Nintendo consoles have been looked at as the technologically inferior console.

5th gen
N64 vs PS
PS2 - winner
Playstation was clearly the teachnologically superior console with better graphics, and superior game media. PLaystation had better sales as well. Die hard gamers switched over to the PS as it had games with better graphics while Nintendo game out with more cartoony graphic games such as the Mario series. The only thing that saved Nintendo in this era was the strength of their 1st party games

6th gen
GC vs PS2 vs Xbox
Winner - PS2 (sales)
THe PS2 had a great combination of Graphics, gameplay, functionality, titles and peripherals. It topped out with the most sales and even when the next gen consoles came out titles for the PS2 were still being made. The Xbox didnt win the wars but it showed superior graphics and set itself up to be the console for die hard gamers. The loser of the pack was the Gamecube and Nintendo went downhill at this point, mainly holding on to some of their fanboys with a few 1st gen titles. At this point Nintendo consoles became the joke of the community

7th gen
Wii vs PS3 vs Xbox360
Winner - they were all winners in some way?
Really all of these consoles won in some way, the 360 and PS3 were both very functional and had great sales and great titles. the Wii had the greatest sales but mostly to a non-gamer audience.

Slowly the trend is that Nintendo has been attracting less and less true games and more of the causal audience. I would say they hit rock bottom with the Wii. They had very few good 1st party titles. There have been less and less T and M games on Nintendo consoles every generation

My question is: Will the Wii U bring back the hard core gamers? the trend is just the opposite, what do you guys think?

unlikely. The Wii U, as all the other nintendo consoles, is usually targeted toward the casual audience. That doesn't mean that we have to settle for less, as games like zelda and metroid have shown.

Problem - You state the PlayStation was more powerful than the Nintendo 64. It wasn't. The Nintendo 64 was more powerful.

... The 360 loses. It just does. /hates microsoft

Slowly the trend is that Nintendo has been attracting less and less true games and more of the causal audience. I would say they hit rock bottom with the Wii. They had very few good 1st party titles. There have been less and less T and M games on Nintendo consoles every generation

My question is: Will the Wii U bring back the hard core gamers? the trend is just the opposite, what do you guys think?

... "Rock Bottom" with the Wii? If you're not a blind 360 or PS3 fanboy, for shame on your lack of gamer knowledge. =( And if you are a console fanboy, for shame for being one.

Console war bigotry aside, Nintendo has everyone in their hands, y'know. The casual audience, people who've never been gamers, and hardcore gamers alike. The bloody, gory, over-the-top Madworld isn't a hardcore game to you because it's the most violent of cartoony games? Alright then. What about Twilight Princess? It's a first party? What, a game's hardcore status is determined by whether it's 1st party or 3rd party? Then what about Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn? Oh, that's not M rated... right, can't be a fantastic game if there's no gore, or language not suited for kids. I'm sure No More Heroes would satisfy you, then.

Hopefully the above paragraph expresses my (douche bag) stance on the Nintendo's situation with hardcore games. :p

I can't agree with the fact Nintendo is getting less T to M rated games at all, as pointless as that matters. Resident Evil has been seeing some spotlight on the Wii, as well as many other "horror" games like House of the Dead and Silent Hill. The previously mentioned No More Heroes series and Madworld can definitely be added to this list, too. Red Steel 2 goes into the rated T category, and like many other T-rated Wii games (ohai Brawl), it's a great game. Add on even more already-announced games for the WiiU such as Darksider 2, and Nintendo is in no way getting more and more kiddy; although they're getting more and more shovelware... Oh, poor Nintendo.

My guess would go towards Nintendo is getting MORE T rated and over games nowadays. They aren't stupid; the average gamer's age is turning to 35. Nintendo is the most profitable gaming company for good reason; great games, the widest and largest audience/consumer range, and their experience in the business for all these years in general.

the only thing that will have the wii U is with the popularity on the other ninteno franchises cause people will still buy that wii U because its a family type of game.Nintendo has been one of the best company for rated T or E companies and parents will still buy that new wii sports for their children. You dont see many M games on nintendo like RE4 and no more heroes.Those type of games are played solo only but games on the wii have been played for enjoyment with bug groups of people.

A note on the console war: Really, to most hardcore gamers, the Wii really isn't what their looking for. Xbox and Playstation deliver a lot more in that area. However, the Wii U presents a huge opportunity for Nintendo to reach out to those hardcore gamers and improve in that area. Other than that, the Wii U is just going to catch up to the other systems in areas like graphics. Which is why Sony and Microsoft don't have a need to come out with new systems. Please note that I'm not saying the Wii U is going to be bad, as I am very excited about it.

My take? I think debates on which of the 3 consoles are 'better' is largely a waste of time. People will make their own preferences which explains why they all sell well. I've never been a big PC Game, RPG fan - so the Wii really appealed to me. It will be interesting what the next Wii offers.

the only thing that will have the wii U is with the popularity on the other ninteno franchises cause people will still buy that wii U because its a family type of game.Nintendo has been one of the best company for rated T or E companies and parents will still buy that new wii sports for their children. You dont see many M games on nintendo like RE4 and no more heroes.Those type of games are played solo only but games on the wii have been played for enjoyment with bug groups of people.

A note on the console war: Really, to most hardcore gamers, the Wii really isn't what their looking for. Xbox and Playstation deliver a lot more in that area. However, the Wii U presents a huge opportunity for Nintendo to reach out to those hardcore gamers and improve in that area. Other than that, the Wii U is just going to catch up to the other systems in areas like graphics. Which is why Sony and Microsoft don't have a need to come out with new systems. Please note that I'm not saying the Wii U is going to be bad, as I am very excited about it.

You two didn't read my above post, did ya... .-.

My take? I think debates on which of the 3 consoles are 'better' is largely a waste of time.

'Nuff said. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, opinions are not facts, etc. etc.

WHAT DID I TELL YOU?! Infinite loop of stupidity.

Words hardly have much relevance to anything unless used in a cognitive fashion, yeah? I wouldn't call a post that said "Nintendo has awesome video games" to be of much relevance to this thread eh?

In fact, it'd have just as much relevance to the thread as this very post! =D

I'm done now. :3

Back