2012 conspiracy

napalmbrain, just wondering about the gravity thing, where you talking about einsteins bowling ball theory? where if you drop a bowling ball onto a sheet, everything gets sucked into that spot and thats what creates gravity?

crazyman2 said:
Napalmbrain, that would be einsteins theories of relativity and crap. and by theories i mean none proven empirical facts. although what you said could be right when considering black holes. But since it is not believed a black hole has yet to be formed in the universe, it will be sometime before that can be proven. it is still generally accepted to be correct that gravity is caused by the attracting of 2 bodies of mass.

Take it from someone "in the biz": most scientists consider the theory of relativity to be true. It provides good explanations for the failures of Newtonian physics and has so far survived every test put to it.

Also, most scientists believe that plenty of black holes exist in the universe, and with good evidence. Take the centre of the Milky Way Galaxy for example. A bunch of stars there are moving around something with a mass of over a million times that of the Sun, and yet we cannot see it.

crazyman2 said:
napalmbrain, just wondering about the gravity thing, where you talking about einsteins bowling ball theory? where if you drop a bowling ball onto a sheet, everything gets sucked into that spot and thats what creates gravity?

Yep, that's the general theory of relativity.

Wait, this IS gonna happen. Seriously I'll off myself now to save the anxiety. So please tell me.

Heres what I think:

The calender just resets, but you people worry me.

OMG:
*December 21 — The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, notably used by the Maya civilization among others of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica, completes its thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle since the calendar's mythical starting point (equivalent to 3114 BC August 11 in the proleptic Gregorian calendar, according to the "GMT-correlation" JDN= 584283). The Long Count b'ak'tun date of this starting point (13.0.0.0.0) is repeated, for the first time in a span of approximately 5,125 solar years. The significance of this period-ending to the pre-Columbian Maya themselves is unclear, and there is an incomplete inscription (Tortuguero Stela 6) that records this date. It is also to be found carved on the walls of the Temple of Inscriptions in Palenque, where it functions as a base date from which other dates are computed. However, it is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next. The 2012 Winter Solstice will also occur on this day at 11:11:32 Greenwich Mean Time.

*December 23 — The alternative date for the completion of the thirteenth b'ak'tun cycle in the Maya calendar, using a version of the GMT-correlation based on a JDN of 584285 (a.k.a. the "Lounsbury correlation"), which is supported by a smaller number of Mayanist researchers.

*NASA predicts that the Sun will also reverse its own magnetic poles during 2012 as result of reaching the end of the current 11-year sunspot cycle.

*In 2012, asteroid 99942 Apophis comes into view again to recalculate odds of impact. The event is 2 on the Torino Scale.

*Charles Manson will be eligible for a parole hearing again.

Well, we are going to die. :(

Last edited:
The mayans or w/e they're called couldn't be bothered to finish off their calender, they had to stop somewhere..

Napalmbrain said:
Take it from someone "in the biz": most scientists consider the theory of relativity to be true. It provides good explanations for the failures of Newtonian physics and has so far survived every test put to it.

Also, most scientists believe that plenty of black holes exist in the universe, and with good evidence. Take the centre of the Milky Way Galaxy for example. A bunch of stars there are moving around something with a mass of over a million times that of the Sun, and yet we cannot see it.

Yep, that's the general theory of relativity.

in the biz? what do you do? sounds like a pretty sweet job haha. i could find my self in this area of studies. there are so many unanswered questions. anyways thanks for the discussion haha.

DRMARIO said:
How can black holes not be real. We have images from hubble..and it's widely believed that they're at the centre of all spiral galaxies.
What is a little odd, how ever, is that..you know the gravitational curve? The graph that shows velocity decreases when an object is orbiting from a larger distance?
Well that's true with solar systems..but not spiral galaxies. The outer part of the galaxy has the same velocity as the more inner parts.

Come to think of it..Isn't that why they came up with the the theory of dark matter, and dark energy? 4% Atoms, 21% Dark Matter, 75% Dark Energy.

What about antimatter? There has to be some percentage of that considering we know it to be true since we've actually made positrons before. And whats dark matter, is that like the theory behind having one universe being inside another or within another or something like that? and ive never heard of dark energy, but i suppose if it came into conact with energy, they would both be anilated like with matter and anti matter. whats produced then? sounds like cook sit, so wanna fill me in on what it is?

Happy said:
The mayans or w/e they're called couldn't be bothered to finish off their calender, they had to stop somewhere..

they prolly would've continued, if a certain group of spaniards didn't slay them all! :yikes:

if their calendar is supposed to tell us the end of our world, why didn't it tell them the end of theirs?

Astronomy is the only branch of science that I like (or love, rather). Very interesting to read the conversations going on here. Been reading every new post that comes up, just haven't posted till now.

[/offtopic]

DRMARIO said:
You're horribly confused.
I mentioned the gravitational curve?
Right, well, in our solar system, the velocity of the planet decreases when gravity is acting upon the planet more weakly than the closer planets. Sounds about right.

But when we look at spiral galaxies (Galaxies with solar systems orbiting a black hole) We see that the solar systems on the very outer part of the galaxy are travelling with the same velocity as the planets closer to the black hole.
Seems impossible..So they totted up how much matter would need to be in the galaxy in order for this to make sense (More matter, more gravity..so it'd sound right that outer objects would still travel with a high velocity) and it seemed that there just wasn't enough mass.
SO, they came up with the idea of dark matter. Basically, it's matter that theoretically exists..but we can't detect it.

Of course, not everybody believes this..but it's a commonly accepted theory.
There is one scientist who rewrote the laws of physics..so that 'variable gravity' existed..But no-one really takes him seriously.

ok ya thats sounds right, and i didnt know that that was the general theory behind dark matter so much appreciated. but then what i heard about the theory of other universes being intwined in another makes sence, and must just be a theory to describe how dark matter can be possible. at least thats where i think thats where that theory came from. Thats basically how my physics teacher described what dark matter is. ... and whats dark energy?

haha alright well i promise not to quote you. sounds like a pretty resonable theory to me tho. Except, dont most scientist believe that we live in a boom and bust universe, and eventually the universe is going to reach some endpoint, and start to bust everything will come into itself to eventually boom again. so like, does the universe reach this end point when dark energy runs out? haha

To prove his point he sites Wikipedia. :p (for the record, I believe you, I just had to make fun of Wiki)

I didn't even know Dark Matter/Energy ACTUALLY existed. Thought it was some science fiction hoax. Sounds awesome. :)

yes yes thats exactly what i meant by boom and bust. it has it "Big bang" then colapses back on itself and happens again, like a cycle, much like everything else natural in this universe, why couldnt it itself act the same way? so ya your not alone many believe in this theory.

And i know energy is constant, but is dark energy? haha i know im asking a question you cant answer cuz no one can, but if energy is pushing all matter outwards, where did that energy get come from, and it must be tranformed into something new eventually, what would that be? im not asking for the actual answer from you, just questions... endless questions haha

ya CRT's is right, chathode ray tubes. Hmm i dont exactly believe everything i hear on the internet, but ok ill give it a look see.

Back