Any one else feel a little ripped off by VC?

Jan 31, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here's my perspective.....now, of course 20 of you are going to waste all of our time saying "quit your bitching, nintendo doesnt owe you anything".

1), I have been totally pissed hearing all of you talk about how if the console goes, the games go......I mean, that right there is bad enough.

2), when they were hyping up their product before its release, they said that you will be able to download from the NES library......that is hardly the case. most of the games are for other systems.....now, I having been around the video game block dont think this is an entirely bad thing, and I have downloaded the games from other systems......but Ive had my Wii for a year now, and there is not one game available that I would have put on a wish list when I bought the damned thing in '06. ok, I have Metroid, that would be one....and so would punchout (which is basicly broken......the delay is about 1 second, making that game nearly impossible). When I say NES, I really mean SNES, and 64 too. The releases might as well be a handfull of shareware from the early 90's........Wolfenstein for windows 3.1 = 300 wii points............Police Quest for Tandy 1000 = 200 wii points.

3) you know, if you release a series of games, and you release them in the order from worst to best, like Contra III, Super C.....or how about.....SFII Champion, then Turbo a month later, ok ok how about the way they are releasing mario games, of course starting with Mario Bros., then I think you are just really ****ing with us, and I will have to use my capitalistic voice by not buying the VC games anymore. Yes they make more money giving us crap, until they lose me as a customer all together, then they make NO money from me,.....

4) anywho, these issues have scared/pissed me off to where I havent bought a VC game since, I dont know, Ninja Gaiden......online VC games were never an expectation of mine or anything, just a decent selection, and the hopes of the $200 in VC games still being there in 5 years. I am a douche bag though, because honestly, the VC was the biggest reason for getting the wii, and now I rarely even touch it. Metroid Prime and Super PAper mario were ok, but I havent even finished them, I just kinda quit playing them.

Yes, this IS basicly aimless bitching, and its all been said already, but I just feel raped after all the money i invested, to play bad games for TG-16 while I wait with no garauntee, for games I hope, MAY come out??????? Someone call me a whambulance (and I dont meen for crying, I want the band W.H.A.M. to jump out of the back of an ambulance playing Jitterbug)......

I just got hold of the emulator because I was sick of not having any of the games I actually wanted to play.

well there really was no guarantee of what games would be on there....u might've been better off waiting to get the wii until the games you wanted were on VC...especially if thats one of the only reasons you got it

I agree. Quit complaining, and go get an emulator to pass the time. I personally feel there's enough content for the average person to spend money on. Unless you dumped a hundred dollars on VC you shouldn't be complaining.

The VC stuff is a novelty, but definitely a rip-off. There's no way I can justify paying $5-$10 for an emulated version of a game over 20 years old. You can get the same game on eBay for $1, and that's the real thing.

They should just make them free. Probably the only reason they aren't is that they can't keep up with current demand for the Wii as it is.

I think Conan makes a valid point.

Dare I say that Nintendo's business model for the Virtual Console places too much emphasis on the profitablity of product that is, in some cases, more than 20 years old.

NES games. 500 Wii points. Five American Dollars. Five bucks for the same "paks" that were state of the art for their time, and then went on to flood the market to such a degree as to litter pawn shops and second hand outlets by the hundreds! The paks strewn everywhere in every living room, replacing the legs of endtables. Games that are now so archaic that they serve better as gaming footnotes than viable gameplay options when given the choice. Some were gems though. Some hold a high degree of nostalgic and sentimental value to us, and yes, some were wildly fun!

Five bucks is too much though when you're talking about a game library that numbers in the hundreds. Even if only a fraction of that is made available on the VC, that is still too lofty an investment for someone who's interested in excessive NES downloads.

Yeah, it was not written in stone which games would come......I just assumed and you know what happens when you assume....I just had faith in Nintendo.

Yes I have spent about $100 dollars......should I name the games?

See? No retort about the games dying with your console.

I am the emulator master......I have as many roms as the best of collectors......I just enjoy playing with my friends on a big screen.

I guess I just wish nintendo would kind of throw me a bone.....give me some classics (not like DK math classic, like contra classic). Its time isnt it?

And to the little prick that said, quit complaining.............you know, this was obviously intended to be a little humorous. I was just kind of bouncing my ideas off of you guys.......to tell me quit complaining after the way I made it clear that most of this was my fault, etc....I acknowledged in the first sentence that they dont owe me anything.....I stated that I know this is how they make money.........so your statement really makes you look like a little asshole.........you should shut your ****ing mouth, and not respond to ANYTHING I say unless I ring your little bell. You just chimed in to let everyone know what a little asshole you are didnt you? Dont tell me what to do.
------------------------------------
Money spent on wii =

Wii with 6 games package= about $650
Controllers, rechargable bats, controller skins, nunchucks, wii organizer with baseball cap LOL= about $150
VC games, I dont feel like turning my wii on, but I have a screen of NES, and the next screen the other consoles, so about 20 VC games, assorted.= lets just low ball $100.........
42" LCD (I had to splurge a little) $1500 (I had a 25", but thought since I got the system, I might as well upgrade).......
TV stand (what? you have to blow money on furniture when you get a TV?)= $300

With all this money spent, and my wii not doing ****, Im kinda wondering what Halo 3 is like right about now......not to mention I traded these titles in for my new games.
COD3 sucked
Marvel game sucked
Madden 07 Sucked so hard
Red Steel looked like an N64 game

Thus, I feel a little ripped off since for half of the money i could be playing Halo 3,
so I will complain if i feel like it.........now some idiot is gonna say how the wii didnt force me to buy a new tv, so no ****, idiot who is about to say that.

Last edited:
I'm divided on this issue, on one hand I like alot of the games that have been made available, and I'm okay with having to wait for some of my favorite titles (though I would like a ballpark of *when* I can expect them.)

Your post was a little selfish, your wish list isn't what every body would want. My wishlist would have included Final Fight and the street fighter games, and they've released them. With 5 years of life left in the system, it's a little early to ***** about them not releasing all the games you want.

On the other hand, the price is way to high. I don't know how they justify charging 5 bucks for an old NES game, when the going rate on a cartridge is 89 cents.

Tairusu said:
I'm divided on this issue, on one hand I like alot of the games that have been made available, and I'm okay with having to wait for some of my favorite titles (though I would like a ballpark of *when* I can expect them.)

Your post was a little selfish, your wish list isn't what every body would want. My wishlist would have included Final Fight and the street fighter games, and they've released them. With 5 years of life left in the system, it's a little early to ***** about them not releasing all the games you want.

On the other hand, the price is way to high. I don't know how they justify charging 5 bucks for an old NES game, when the going rate on a cartridge is 89 cents.

sigh....cmon man, noone said it has to be my wishlist......so you like street fighter, me too, i downloaded it......are you one of the ones that got championship edition a week before they released turbo? If you were, do you maybe see what im talking about now......did you not read where i said i include SNES and 64 as what i wanted? You people are hard headed, and need to read before you start running your mouths, insulting me when i state an opinion.......part of the entire rant was that i dont like the VC games living and dying with your system. Never mind, im not explaining myself anymore........I never even bitched about the price, the only thing you guys keep saying you agree with me on......I will pay a decent price for something that isnt feces like TG-16.......

I bought a nintendo product, thinking i could download nintendo games, not the dreggs of video game history.....NINTENDO GAMES

Last edited:
VC is definitely overpriced, but the selection so far has been fairly decent. Though I do wish they would release more games each week (five would be a nice number).

"...nintendo doesnt owe you anything."

I disagree with this notion. They most certianly do owe us, everything.
I understand that in free enterprise, the goal is to make as much profit as possible. However, there is an integrity that should be maintained in the relationship of buyer/seller. They have a responsibilty to provide a service that satisfies the customer and fulfills the promises of the seller without implementing a streamlined money-grab approach that is insulting to the buyer. There seems to be a marketing mentality that upholds the idea that it's completely ok and advisable to exploit a solid loyal customer base for all their worth. We see this in other products too, like DVD releases. How many times have you gone out to grab your fav flick for the moment on DVD, only to find the same movie released as a "director's cut," "special edition," or "extended version" later on. How many times as consumers are we going to buy virtually the same product. Like when George Lucas magically CGI's in a huge floating turd in the dianoga scene in A New Hope, and all of a sudden there's a new boxed set at the modest price of $69.99. Anyone who would uphold such practices, or retort with, "Well you don't have to buy it, there guy" would achieve the same statement by simply saying, "baa-aa-aa-aaa."

Last edited:
You gotta look at it from Nintendo's point of view.

They put out the games.
They charge those 5 or 10 dollars.
People buy them.
They're making money.

They're just following the, "Don't change the feed of a winning horse" saying.
As long as enough people buy their VC games, they're gonna keep charging the same as they have been.

Back