Did the wii live up to your expectations?

I just got a Wii and honestly I'm a little let down but I still like the system. Every game has originality thanks to the controls but at the same time they all feel mediocre. For example I see great potential with FPS games for the system but talented developers need to improve both the controls and graphics and add in multiplayer (looking at COD3), just look at Red Steel its fun game but bland graphics and sloppy controls really dropped the core on it.

The other problem I'm having with the wii is minigames its going to get old fast I have Warioware, Wii Play (bought for the extra controller), Wii Sports, and Rayman Raving Rabbids so I definetly don't want Mario Party or any other party styled mingame collections anytime soon.

Virtual Console is kind of a bust emulation has been out so long the only thing I would ever download would N64 titles. I think if Nintendo wanted to really blow gamers away add wiimote controls into some classic games heck I would pay a little bit more money for Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, and so on if I could control it like Red Steel (example).

I think the Wii has an extreme amount of potential but developers reaaly need to step up to the plate to make the games feel substantial or the console will turn into a giant media fad failure.

So far it's lived up to my expectations. I'm not using it much at the moment, but I guess that's to be expected if you get a system as soon as it launches. It'll probably be about a year until I can give a more precise opinion, since most of the promising games aren't out yet.

Yeah guys I want to be able to pick up games and play them straight off Some of the games on the WII have made this a impossible and frustrating task

seriously when playing Red Steel i just thought to myself why can't i sit down and just play the bloody thing with a pad

I've only played Zelda & Wii Sports, but thus far, I'm happy with it...

With Twilight Princess being one of the best in the zelda series made (I'm a hardcore Link to the Past fan.) I was extremely happy with, as someone else put, the 'subtle' controls that worked amazingly well for the game.

I've put a lot of time into wii sports, particularly boxing... being someone who used to box in real life, it's not the same, but it's just as fun (and doesn't hurt after haha.)

I really wanna play Trauma Center & Wario Ware, as well as Wii Play..s
There's a handful of titles I absolutley cannot wait for (Smash Bros. Brawl)

As far as titles currently released... I agree with Aylwin..
Wii is the only one of the current 3 consoles that ANYONE can pick up and enjoy... first you bring out the easy stuff that might be fun, but not fill a regular gamer's desires, but overall, it will increase the number of gamers in existance... do you really think that 30+ year old couple who really had no interest in today's gaming would pick up the new COD, or some other type of 'hardcore' game like halo, a final fantasy game, or anything else that would take effort for them to play, if they would get frusterated on figuring out the 98279874 button controller?

Sure in general, a lot of the people on this board won't have a problem with it, I've gamed all my life, and can handle whatever the industry wants to toss at me, but looking at Wii as more than a toy, it's Nintendo's investment, you gotta respect them putting down a platform that will succeed, not come close to failing for the company as previous attempts almost had.

There bloody horrible way to sensitive for my liking

It didn't live up to my expectations for 4 reasons:

-No online multiplayer games
-No Super Mario Galaxy at launch
-Zelda TP, a beautiful game, oozes gamecube graphics in every way.
-For allowing Ubi to release their crappy ports and Rayman.

With that said, I still love it.

Last edited:
you might cry cause its hard to play.. but thats just cause you arnt good at the controlls yet... its a "GAME" it isnt suppose to be easy... you may have worked hard with your thumb eye cordination getting a calius playing in your dark basement apartment.. your just pissed cause your grandma can whip you at bowling cause she has better form..lol poor gamers everythings new everyone has to start from scratch and use real abillity to play instead of the speed of your thumb... you can cry and get left in the dust playing the same games till your dead.. or just get use to the fact that games are changing and fast.. sure they dont have online yet.. but it is comming. they might not have the best titles yet but it is a launch no one has good titles at launch.. its been selling what..3 months in the states and already has sold more than half of what 360 has in a 3rd the time...and cant stay on the shelf...

its hard to play.. my woman can beat me at half the games her mom kills me at bowling.. but thats the only reason i play it 8 hours a day to get better stop crying and start liking it..lol

So far the Wii has definitely lived up to my expectations. I would even say it has exceeded my expectations. It's easy to pick up and play for everyone, which was something I've been needing in a game system since starting a family. I no longer have the time to spend hours upon hours playing games. With the Wii I don't have to. I can pickup Wario or WiiSports and play 20 minutes here and 30 minutes there. My whole family can play these games. The virtual console is just icing on the cake. I grew up with the NES, Genisis and the SuperNintendo games and not being able to find my old systems and play my old games was killing me. Now I can play Super Mario World again and even tap into the N64 games that I never played since I didn't have the N64 system. The Wii is perfect for my family!!!

The Wii has lived up yo my expectations, i couldnt of really asked for more. The controls for redsteel and COD3 are superb. Most people just CANNOT use the wii remote well enough, so they blame the remote itself. My advice to you is...do not tell newer gamers or people who are thinking about buying the wii that the controlls are awful. this is very misleading as 8/10 people think differently.

I dont have much of a problem with my wii, its one of the best, if not THE best console ive ever had.

If you do have problems with red steal and COD I would recomend that you play "wii play" its really handy for learning the controls. Best done with 2 players for more enjoyment!

After playing "wii play" for a hour and completing all the levels I pretty much learnt how to use the controller.

ottoman said:
The Wii has lived up yo my expectations, i couldnt of really asked for more. The controls for redsteel and COD3 are superb. Most people just CANNOT use the wii remote well enough, so they blame the remote itself. My advice to you is...do not tell newer gamers or people who are thinking about buying the wii that the controlls are awful. this is very misleading as 8/10 people think differently.

I dont have much of a problem with my wii, its one of the best, if not THE best console ive ever had.

The controls in Red Steel and COD3 aren't superb IMO. Infact I think I remember IGN or Gamespot saying the FPS minigame in Super Monkey Ball BB works better than Red Steel which is really, really, really pathetic.

I'm not blaming the Wii, I'm blaming lazy developers. I expect Metroid Prime 3 to not fail us in controls.

Firstly, I haven't got a Wii yet... so feel free to slate me for what i'm about to say, but I think it's justified!

Reading through this thread, most of the comments have been about the games not living up to expectation. Sure, this is a valid point, but looking back over other Console launches, it has been incredible to see how over time, the hardware within the console has been pushed and pushed, and that later games far surpass those from the Consoles "early" life. This is evident with the Xbox, Gamecube, Playstation etc etc, and I can't understand why it is seen to be a problem.

At launch, companies aim to provide the public with accessible games that draw the user to make a purchase- I for one can't wait to get hold of my Wii as they offer a new and refreshing way to play games, and for sure, they aren't the most attractive that they can be at the moment but patience will provide games that are! :thumbsup:

The Wii Kicks Serious A**!

Sure Nintendo has some things to work out but all in all it is the best system out today. Every other system out pushed the graphics envelope and left game play the same. I for one am glad that someone had the nads to try something new and exciting. Who cares if the graphics aren't realistic? If realism is important to you I suggest you stick with the xbox and their long list of lame WWII games.

Back