Final smashes over hyped? *SPOILERS*

Extra Life Mushroom said:
Lugia:Nice meme. did you make it yourself or get it from 4chan?

Sovieto: You seem afraid of final smashes, and I don't understand your logic. Sure it will allow for KSing, and sure there will be tons of upsets in the "pro" leagues but I still think they deserve more respect than they are being given.

At least the smash balls were intended to be in the game, you can;t say that for l-canceling,shffl,wavedash,ect.. But as you said they were there so they're going to be abused regardless.

All I'm saying is since they weren't intended to be there in the first place, why should they be allowed to be abused? especially by a "professional" player.

Shouldn't a "professional" have the skills necessary to win without exploiting the game? I would think someone calling themselves a pro would at least be capable of winning a match, by playing it as the game was intended. But what do I know right?
i like to play games with the least amount of luck possible to maximize skill required. saying im afraid of final smashes is an inaccurate word to use and sounds like youre trying to flame me softly, which wouldnt be a surprise.

Last edited:
[sarcasm]yep, that's right I'm sending you subliminal flames...you caught me there Skippy.[/sarcasm]

And if I'm misdiagnosing you're aversion to final smashes as fear then by all means correct me; if it's not fear then what is it?

(not trying to sound offensive just want to know why you're so dead-set against the only big innovation Brawl has to set it apart from Melee.)

I mean yeah it may be a thing of luck, but it adds a level of stress to the game and should make it more intense. Why not try working with the idea of smash balls instead of working around it?
Is the change that threatening to you?

But if you want to play conspiracy theorist then be my guest and label me whatever you will. If you want to go and say I'm subliminally besmirching you then what can I say to stop you? You've already made up your opinion of me so nothing I can say or do will change that.

smash balls are cool and yeah make it really fun crazy when you're playing with friends for fun, but for competitive play they shouldn't there be there at all since being killed by one can leave you feeling cheated, cause you were.

I understand that.

but do you also understand the same applies to manipulating glitches? Even though "everybody does it" doesn't make it right. I have no doubt that I will have my head handed to my thousands of times online but I will not stoop so low as to exploiting a game to do something it wasn't intended to.

Winning isn't that important to me. It's better to die with honor then to win by cheating. But that's just the way I see it.

But anyway, if you think final smashes are over hyped then just don't play with them. No need to call them over hyped.
you are SO funny. hahahahah after going off topic in his thread you make it sound like our opinions arent wanted and he shouldnt even be asking the question. you are so out of touch with reality that arguing with you is a waste of my time and i usually like to argue.

Bowserizer said:
I completely agree with extra life mushroom. and final smashs add a whole new dimension. why not just accept them as a new part of the game and turn em off if you dont like em? personally i think final smashs are a nice addition because it helps people of a lesser skill level compete even slightly more than they would have before. one last thing........spiff, you gotta calm down and stop calling names...and GigaRidley, i agree with everything you said but switch spiff and extra life in your point about whose bein mean and attacking. spiff is bein rude. but w/e lets just be nicer. c'mon its a game, lets enjoy it...or waiting for it.
how was i being rude? haha anyways man i already said a million times i like them in the game i just personaly think they're over hyped a little and think its stupid to hope or think they'll be used in major tourneys... that was my whole arguement lol no need to jump all over my back because i'm defending the truth...whether you want to believe it or not it'll never be used in a tourney. but once again. they ARE a good addition to the game

Sovieto said:
i like to play games with the least amount of luck possible to maximize skill required. saying im afraid of final smashes is an inaccurate word to use and sounds like youre trying to flame me softly, which wouldnt be a surprise.
i dont understand this 'fear' of fsa's comment that keeps coming up man... taking chance/luck away from intense battles doesnt seem to me like its afraid... more restoring skill as the main combattant... and to mushroom... even if exploiting melee glitches were cheating... the glitches have been fixed for brawl... so i dont see how were still 'cheating' by not using fsa's...

So then we're in agreement that arguing over this is pointless?

Alright then maybe we should drop it and move on. (wow what a concept:yikes:)

and if you're trying to instigate a flame war (certainly seems like it to me) then you are wasting your time.

The fact that I don't support exploitation of a game (especially when it's during a competition amongst self-proclaimed "professionals")
is hardly reason to attack me, but you do as you like.

As Bowserier said: I'm not the one trying to be being rude here. Just making a point that the double standards concerning the exploitation of smash balls vs the exploitation of "advanced techs" (glitches) is rather stupid. Both could be considered "cheating" in a sense.

Advanced techniques (glitch mastery) although they can be learned and mastered y anyone with time and practice, are still exploits that were not intended for in-game use. Be that as it may, I'm away of the standpoint of most of the board "if it's there why not use it?".
My rebuttal to that is: "Just because it's there doesn't mean it's right to use it." , since it would give you an edge over those who decided not to maser glitches.
To which I'm sure the response will be:
"It's their fault for being noobs and not using them like the rest of us." Or something to that affect.

Smash balls on the other hand bestow whichever character who gets them either a temporary transformation with godly abilities or one extremely powerful move capable of either one near sure-fire ko, or ksing the map if given the right conditions.

Granted smash balls don't require any skill or training to acquire and use, but they at least give the more casual players a fighting chance against the seasoned veterans.

I myself would fall under the more casual player category since I have a full-time job, spouse, and social life, I can't really devote too much of my life to gaming, as I did in my youth.
The reason I argue that Final Smashes are a acceptable addition to the game and should be welcomed more than they have been, it because the "pros" have long had an edge over the rest of the "mere mortal" population. This would allow the rest of us who don't devote the majority of our existence to finding and exploiting loopholes to gain the ever-so-slight edge.

i'm cool dropping it lol all the best to you

I understand that.

but do you also understand the same applies to manipulating glitches? Even though "everybody does it" doesn't make it right. I have no doubt that I will have my head handed to my thousands of times online but I will not stoop so low as to exploiting a game to do something it wasn't intended to.

Winning isn't that important to me. It's better to die with honor then to win by cheating. But that's just the way I see it.
there you said it, winning isnt that important to you meaning you dont do competitive play where winning is everything.
oh and you dont have much of a right to take this DEBATE to a "mature" level after a post like this
I can post where I please kid, :lol:

you two can go back to fellating each other's egos if you'd like, but the fact remains; smash balls will eventually be included in tournaments and people like you who are trying so hard to cling to your melee traditions will be left behind.
what a post to just pour oil on the thread.....

YET.

theres nothing to drop, this is a fine conversation going on and whats the point of forums if everyone agrees on the same thing....

Last edited:
Sovieto said:
there you said it, winning isnt that important to you meaning you dont do competitive play where winning is everything.
oh and you dont have much of a right to take this DEBATE to a "mature" level after a post like this

what a post to just pour oil on the thread.....
haha oh man. did you hit any tourneys in your melee days?

yea same here, i only played w/ friends but did well. in melee i mained capt. falcon. and about FSs, i doubt they will be used in tourneys unless the tourney is advertised as a smash ball tourney. whats everybodies position on assist trophies. y'think those will be in tourneys?

Bowserizer said:
yea same here, i only played w/ friends but did well. in melee i mained capt. falcon. and about FSs, i doubt they will be used in tourneys unless the tourney is advertised as a smash ball tourney. whats everybodies position on assist trophies. y'think those will be in tourneys?
When did you start maining c. falcon? I remember you playing as him last time we played, but I though you still mained jigglypuff.
As for assist trophies, most tournaments don't use any items at all so no ATs.

Back