Which Religion are you?

I am raised as a Catholic and my mother makes me go to church everyday but I don't really feel I am part of a religion. I believe in Love and if you just love you'll live a good life. Love=GOD

I thought this thread was locked?
meh.
Whats everyone think about about Salman Rushdie getting a knighthood? - And basically igniting fury throughout the middle east..?

I have nothing against any religion but personally I'm against organised religion because there are too many atrocities through out history that have been committed in the name of Gods and different religious beliefs. I also believe that religion is needed though, as everyone from time to time needs a moral compass and spiritual guidance.

I would consider myself agnostic because even though I do believe in a higher being, live a clean life, and treat others fairly and equally. I just have never found a religion that feels right for me and I've had to many hardships put on to my family and I which has left questioning my spirtual beliefs.

I suppose it's a case of following your religion but without allowing others to force their ideas on you. Everyone knows the difference from right and wrong so as long as you lead a good life and follow the basis of your religion then it shows your a good person.

On the topic of religion, I found this article quite interesting, it's about one of the Columbine High School Massacre victims, and how she is considered a Christian martyr (she was shot in the leg, then asked if she still believes in God, then upon replying with "You know I do" she provokes a second fatal shot to her head). Fascinating in a morbid way

Haywire said:
I have nothing against any religion but personally I'm against organised religion because there are too many atrocities through out history that have been committed in the name of Gods and different religious beliefs.
Although to be fair though, it the people who follow the religion that are at fault there. Hence you should have a distrust of the people following the religions, rather than the religions themselves. You'll often find that there's many disagreements in interpretation of Holy books, some using it as a personal guide, others using it as a weapon against others.

I also believe that religion is needed though, as everyone from time to time needs a moral compass and spiritual guidance.
Whilst morality stems from religion (in a way), it's not neccessary to have religion to be moralistic. There's codes that should be adhered to that would help society progress or make society a better place, but it's not tied to religion, it's tied to indocrination (i.e. parent's tell me that's wrong/bad, so I don't do it).

I would consider myself agnostic because even though I do believe in a higher being, live a clean life, and treat others fairly and equally. I just have never found a religion that feels right for me and I've had to many hardships put on to my family and I which has left questioning my spirtual beliefs.
What do you mean by "Higher Being"? Do you mean a creator of sorts? Or a form of life-manipulator (i.e. Didn't create us, but helps us along our lives)?

ezekiel86 said:
On the topic of religion, I found this article quite interesting, it's about one of the Columbine High School Massacre victims, and how she is considered a Christian martyr (she was shot in the leg, then asked if she still believes in God, then upon replying with "You know I do" she provokes a second fatal shot to her head). Fascinating in a morbid way
A pure faith in one's own beliefs does not guarantee that they are true. There's many groups of people who die and have died that fully believe in their cause, even in the face of death.

What I find interesting is how this bit of information is being manipulated for the purposes of perpetuating Christian values. It's no more, no less important than any other person who has died for their beliefs.

Also, there's other interpretations of how it could be read. Perhaps the killer was seeking proof of a non-existent God, and found that no divine intervention was incurred. This leads me to one more thing:

Either 1. There is no creator, and there was no way to stop the girl from being shot.
2. There is a creator, but s/he allowed the girl to be shot, furthermore it was part of God's plan. However, if it were part of God's plan, how could we condemn the instument of God (the killer)?
3. God blinked and missed it...

Back