Why we should fear Wii Fit

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Nintendo’s Wii Fit was recently released in Japan just in time for the holidays at around $80. Online retailers such as play-asia have it on stock for $189.90. As I heard this news, I couldn’t help but flashback to this years E3. Specifically, when Miyamato’s next big game was revealed, Wii Fit. At this point, I believe a deafening silence swept Nintendo fan-boys everywhere. The same Nintendo faithful, that stood by Nintendo through the N64 and Gamecube era, were seemingly shafted for the casual market. In years past, we were treated to things like Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess, franchises that were symbolic of the Nintendo brand, but instead we got what was effectively an interactive weighing scale. With that announcement, it became clear that Nintendo’s approach to gaming was in a new direction, “Audience Expansion”.

Wii Fit will be, comparably, the second coming of Wii Sports. It will be at the forefront of Nintendo’s campaign to draw-in people that don’t play games to buy the Wii. With a name like Wii Fit, it is obviously targeted to the older and more health conscious demographic. With activities such as yoga, aerobics, stretching and “games”, Nintendo will be earning a lot of positive attention from mainstream media. This is why traditional hard-core gamers need to be cautious about the kind of success that Wii Fit will have. Mario Galaxy, the 2nd highest reviewed game in history (according to Game Rankings), did not sell as well as expected in Japan, compared to New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. If, in the next few months, Wii Fit goes on to outsell Mario Galaxy in Japan and in other major regions, say goodbye.

In all likely-hood, Wii Fit will outsell Mario Galaxy. The Japanese market will eat this thing up, it will be like the Wii launch all over again. A few months after, Wii Fit will come out in the U.S. market starting all sorts of media mayhem. I can imagine seeing this thing on Oprahs favorite things list, the Today Show, Good Morning America and making #1 on Times invention of the year. When that time comes, Nintendo will have even less incentive to pour development efforts into franchises like Mario or Zelda, that require so much more money and will not sell as well. Miyamoto might even be ‘expected’ to come out at next years E3 with his next ‘casual gaming gem’ instead of an actual game.

Sure there is always the argument that any money going into casual games is good for the industry as a whole, but as the Wiis line-up of games has shown, that is not the case, and the forth-coming Wii Fit will cement this argument as a good or bad thing for the traditional gamer.

Source:
http://phgamer.wordpress.com/2007/12/01/why-we-shoud-fear-wii-fit/

I felt this thing would sell well right from the outset.
If it sells really well however remains to be seen, I know I will be checking this one out, I just feel you can't pass up something like this.

Oh please, this sounds like an insecure "hardcore" gamer.

The same Nintendo faithful, that stood by Nintendo through the N64 and Gamecube era, were seemingly shafted for the casual market.

I pretty much stopped taking the article seriously there. I have only seen a few "Nintendo fans" say that so generalizing like that is just completely idiotic and presumptuous. The kind of logic used by the author is nothing new even though it's unfounded. Nintendogs and Brain Age have done quite well on the DS yet we're not drowning in a sea of mini-games and non-games. Then there's the fact that Nintendo doesn't have an incentive to keep making Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars, F-Zero, or maybe even Metroid but it keeps making games for those franchises (idk about F-Zero but it's coming).

Nintendo is moving more and more into the casual market. While that's not necessarily a good thing for 'hardcore gamers', I agree with RedProdigy - it doesn't mean from now on the only games we'll ever see are microgames.

I agree Red! Dude if you don't want it don't buy it. Who cares who the system is designed for you got it for your own reasons just like the rest of us did.

if nintendo seriously stops making their good hXc games then i'll just buy another system, prolly 360. not that big of a deal especially since it will never happen.

the price dosent put me off i followed nintendo al my life if u dont want dont get it simple as tht

I for one am really looking forward to Wiifit. I think it will have some of the same appeal that WiiSports had and will increase the sales numbers even further. As others have said if you don't like it don't buy it. There are games for different tastes. No More Heroes for example will not be bought by me. Live and let live.:cool:

"In years past, we were treated to things like Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess, franchises that were symbolic of the Nintendo brand, but instead we got what was effectively an interactive weighing scale."

hahahahah. Oh yeah. Years past, oh so long ago. I'm having problems remembering the greatness of those days.

Im Looking Forward To Wii Fit. Itll Be Cool And Itll Be A Change To Zelda, Mario, Etc. Not Saying I Dont Like Zelda Games Or Enythin But It Would Be A Nice Change!

man you people are so insecure about this. nintendo isnt stupid they know that the majority of wii owners are hardcore gamers. no matter how well casual games do, they will never beat sales of the hardcore games nintendo makes.

RedProdigy said:
Oh please, this sounds like an insecure "hardcore" gamer.

The same Nintendo faithful, that stood by Nintendo through the N64 and Gamecube era, were seemingly shafted for the casual market.

I pretty much stopped taking the article seriously there. I have only seen a few "Nintendo fans" say that so generalizing like that is just completely idiotic and presumptuous. The kind of logic used by the author is nothing new even though it's unfounded. Nintendogs and Brain Age have done quite well on the DS yet we're not drowning in a sea of mini-games and non-games. Then there's the fact that Nintendo doesn't have an incentive to keep making Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars, F-Zero, or maybe even Metroid but it keeps making games for those franchises (idk about F-Zero but it's coming).
I agree, the DS is an excellent reference point to prove that Nintendo will not forget about the Hardcore Gamer. I believe we should just stop finding **** to complain about and just sit back and enjoy the Wii.

How many people are going to buy this "Wii Fit"

I first heard about it on youtube, some guy posted the trailer or commercial. I swear I could have died laughing. I dont get how this can sell, except to maybe fat people who like very very casual kiddy games. I dont mean to flame, but it truly is wierd. What happened to the times when the most kiddy game nintendo had was Mario?

Also, I dont really see the hardcore market in Wii, only a small handful. I read an interview of Wii's marketing guy or something. He really seems content with Wii Fit as if its revolutionary.

Where's Starfox?! Why are they ruining the great 2d platformer of Donkey Kong into a stupid racing game? See contra 4 on DS? Please, make one with a great storyline on Wii, graphics isnt everything, they can make it work. I wish to god they make a new Punch Out on Wii, but if they do, they need to think about it and make it actually work right. Alot of Wii games are getting bad reviews because the motion controls are very ****ed up on Wii. WWE 08 got either 3.5 or 4.5 on Wii. NBA Live 08 was worse. Sorry im ranting.

lol sounds a bit like Slippery Slope guy.

i don't think it's gonna be that extreme, don't worry ppl, until it's time to worry.

Back