Obama to lift ban on stem cell research soon

Syntax

That Canucks Fan
Dec 27, 2006
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0001
Obama to lift ban on stem cell research soon: aide

WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Barack Obama will soon issue an executive order lifting an eight-year ban embryonic stem cell research imposed by his predecessor, President George W. Bush, a senior adviser said on Sunday.

"We're going to be doing something on that soon, I think. The president is considering that right now," Obama adviser David Axelrod said on "Fox News Sunday."

In 2001, Bush limited federal funding for stem cell research only to human embryonic stem cell lines that already existed. It was a gesture to his conservative Christian supporters who regard embryonic stem cell research as destroying potential life, because the cells must be extracted from human embryos.

Embryonic stem cells are the most basic human cells which can develop into any type of cell in the body.

Scientists believe the research could eventually produce cures for a variety of diseases, including Parkinson's disease, diabetes, heart disease and spinal cord injuries.

Obama vowed to reverse Bush's ban during his presidential campaign and in his inaugural address last month promised to return science to its proper place in the United States.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration last month cleared the way for the first trial to see if human embryonic stem cells could treat people safely.

The trial will try to use stem cells from already existing lines to regrow nerve tissue in patients with crushed spinal cords.

Stem cells are the body's master cells, giving rise to all the tissues, organs and blood. Embryonic stem cells are considered the most powerful kinds of stem cells, as they have the potential to give rise to any type of tissue.

Link to the article: www.Canada.com

Agreed.
Now, I wonder how long it takes until people come here to condemn it and anyone that agrees with it?

Yeah I to think it's a good move. Stem cell research is long over due in the US, this could change the lives of so many people.

If one embryo can save thousands of lives, it can be no bad thing.

There was never a ban on stem cell research.

The only restriction was that if you wanted money from the government, you were restricted to the existing stem cell lines. If you had private funding, there were no restrictions.

Great news, hope it leads to some amazing scientific advances.

Very good news, I'm happy this is being put into affect. Not everyone is gonna like it though. Tough luck for them.

Fantastic news, indeed. Hopefully these recent tests will have positive results.

Sort of shooting yourselves in the foot if you're foreign in here.

Saying that British or Canadian or Australian scientists are too stupid to find the cure for diseases with their own embryos?

Back