Abortion: Right or Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is why I'm fine with the morning after pill.

Yes, that is a much more preferable method. But you really have to understand the sheer stupidity of some people, they still wont use it.

Isn't using the morning after pill technically murdering an unborn baby. Occurding to you it doesn't matter if the baby if born or unborn, so why would it matter whether the baby is one or two cells or a month along.

I mean when does the baby become a human? At contriception, at birth, when?

Isn't using the morning after pill technically murdering an unborn baby. Occurding to you it doesn't matter if the baby if born or unborn, so why would it matter whether the baby is one or two cells or a month along.

I believe you mean conception. :p

And yes, I believe a baby is alive at conception, and I believe that the morning after pill is murder.

I'd rather not have murder be publicly funded, which some countries with universal health care provide.

You may live in an area where it is relatively easy to obtain an NHS abortion. Or you may live in an area that has poor NHS facilities.

Haha, because all facilities that refuse you are automatically poor.

Anyway, I'd rather not hear about it. It's cheaper in the countries that make you pay for abortions. (If it's legal, start taxing the hell out of it. Installment plans excepted).

In Canada today, abortion is available and publicly funded at any stage of pregnancy, for any reason. That’s our tax dollars providing free and timely elective surgery, in spite of the waiting lists and chronic resource shortages that plague our health care system in many other areas.

Awh, Canada too?

Hypothetical question. Say you wanted a child and your wife got pregnant and was killed. Would you consider that fetus as a loss as well?

Last edited:

I would define it as the time when the brain fully develops, since this is presumably when a person first becomes conscious.

I would define it as the time when the brain develops, since this is presumably when a person first becomes conscious.

Then you get the lovely debates of what "develops" means, and if the existence of a brain actually implies consciousness. ;)

As 24 weeks is when a fetus can live off a machine after being taken out of the womb, that is when abortion becomes illegal.

I don't understand the definition though. If being able to live off a machine is the definition of life... then why can't being able to live off a mother be considered life?

Hypothetical question. Say you wanted a child and your wife got pregnant and was killed. Would you consider that fetus as a loss as well?

Well I guess I would have to say yes, but you have to consider that the means of having another child are destroyed after that.

I have to admit, that question got me thinkin'.

Then you get the lovely debates of what "develops" means, and if the existence of a brain actually implies consciousness. ;)
Well no, the mere existence of a brain doesn't imply consciousness. A recently dead person usually has a brain, and they certainly aren't conscious.

Lmao, Adam, abortion isn't used as contraception. I highly doubt you'll find anyone who'll take an abortion over wearing a condom. Mistakes happen, and when they do, the woman has a right to her life, and to make her own life choices. The fetus doesn't have this right, and as it barely exists, mommy has every right to abort the sucker.

Besides, abortions will also open up new doors in the fields of stem cell research. A future life may be sacrificed, but it could save many more lives.

One pretty much doesn't have a heartbeat anyway.
But life is life, no living biological traits deny that right. The essence of life (or under popular belief and reasoning) lies in the DNA of those embryonic stem cells. The moment one of 20,000 genetic codes are programmed to a certain function for the body, life begins. Which of course is the moment the first stem cell is conceived in an egg.

None of that crap that masturbation is murder though.

However a week-old embryo is certainly not capable of thought.
I think you misunderstand, abortion is essentially a fancy name of termination. Termination is the taking of a human's life. Not destroying something capable of thought. A similar example is the termination of a brain-dead patient.

A fetus cannot think, at all, and a new born baby ( what does newborn mean, anyway? Is there a limit of time when it ceases to be newborn?) is an actual human being.

I lold.

Why does everything in life these days have to be consequence-free?
I completely agree with the fact that people these days always take the easy road and avoid the full effect of their actions. This observation is not in the topic of abortion, but it pisses me off. I'm not denying Abortion, but some people fail to realize the gravity of their actions.

I'd put a personal experience in here, but I'm so not in the mood for religious flaMMAge.

I think you misunderstand, abortion is essentially a fancy name of termination. Termination is the taking of a human's life. Not destroying something capable of thought. A similar example is the termination of a brain-dead patient.
But there's no point in keeping a brain-dead patient alive. Mainly because they're already dead.

So if you want to get rid of it because you weren't financially stable you would want to slap them with a hefty bill? Pff, people should be paying for women to keep the baby then.

Lmao, Adam, abortion isn't used as contraception. I highly doubt you'll find anyone who'll take an abortion over wearing a condom. Mistakes happen, and when they do, the woman has a right to her life, and to make her own life choices. The fetus doesn't have this right, and as it barely exists, mommy has every right to abort the sucker.

Did you read the stats I posted? 40-odd % of pregnanies in that study were because of lack of any contraception at all...

I'd rather pay my taxes towards orphanages and giving kids a chance to live their life as they choose than paying for the deaths of millions of babies. Because even though they are only foetuses at abortion stage, they are going to grow up to become adults and in so nobody has the right to end their life before they are even born. Most people would believe that killing a day old baby is wrong - how is a foetus any different?

AndThen said:
Mistakes happen, and when they do, the woman has a right to her life, and to make her own life choices. The fetus doesn't have this right, and as it barely exists, mommy has every right to abort the sucker.

Why does a newborn baby have a right to life but the foetus doesn't? Neither of them can think. Why is it murder if the baby is killed at birth but legal (and even moral) if she/he is killed in the womb?

What I said about growing up to become a healthy human, I wasn't putting any emphasis on "healthy". Sure, some babies will be born with an illness, but does that automatically make their life unliveable and is it anybody else's choice to make?

While orphanages are a good thing for completely incapable parents (e.g. drug addicts), I think both the mother AND father have a responsibilty to care for the child that they brought into the world. Every action has a consequence and murder is never the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back