Is PS3 worth it?

GazSmith

WiiChat Member
Jun 5, 2010
Southhampton UK
Ok, so my birthday is June 8th, and my mates and my girlfriend are talking about chipping in to buy me a PS3 (Since my Xbox recently got RROD... Stupid Microsoft...) This summer I finally head off to college to get my Masters in game design :D So they wanted to get me a PS since I'm huge Sony fanboy. I want to know, though, is it worth it? I mean should I cancel my Xbox live account, kick my Xbox out the window, and welcome in PSN? Kids and obnoxious people have ruined Xbox Live for me, and Wii multiplayer is total bollocks, so to me PSN sounds good. I'd appreciate your input!

Geoff "Gaz" Smith

Ok, so my birthday is June 8th, and my mates and my girlfriend are talking about chipping in to buy me a PS3 (Since my Xbox recently got RROD... Stupid Microsoft...) This summer I finally head off to college to get my Masters in game design :D So they wanted to get me a PS since I'm huge Sony fanboy. I want to know, though, is it worth it? I mean should I cancel my Xbox live account, kick my Xbox out the window, and welcome in PSN? Kids and obnoxious people have ruined Xbox Live for me, and Wii multiplayer is total bollocks, so to me PSN sounds good. I'd appreciate your input!

Geoff "Gaz" Smith

The famous Shiftwhowhat has come back from years of agonizing absence to tell you ...

Yes, the PS3 is worth it. Sony has some surprises coming up which will only make the PS3 even better than it already is. From my experience at GDC, I was very impressed with the funky 80's super wand..er I mean Playstation Move.

Honestly, why would you go for a masters in Game Design? It is completely unnecessary. You should be spending time writing GDDs, having some basic environment art and level designs in a portfolio.

Yes, it is worth it. There are now a good amount of exclusive AAA games, the PSN has grown a lot, and while it's nothing like the M$ Live service it's still free.

Honestly, why would you go for a masters in Game Design? It is completely unnecessary. You should be spending time writing GDDs, having some basic environment art and level designs in a portfolio.

Well, things are quite different here in the UK... You have to have a degree to do anything, no matter what you pursue. Even little companies that only make small MMOs require Bachelors, and bigger firms require a Masters to even consider you. While in the US you need experience first, here a Masters is a fasttrack to a job.

I say it is. Especially now that inFAMOUS 2 is coming out. To me, it's the best series. And you can get thousands of other games. The consol rocks and if you have a GameStop or EBGames near you (preferrably GameStop), your PS3 gaming needs are fulfilled.

May the gods of gaming give you great success in God of War and other PlayStation exclusives. (Bows)

yea im doing the same thing so I gotta go all through that

it all depends on your own personal preference...
whether or not its worth it is up to you.. :papermario:

Geoff "Gaz" Smith
No the ps3 isn't worth at all. I used to own a ps3 and a ps3 slim. the exclusives are really not that great. (haze, modnation racers, gow 3[overrated, nothing special], lbp, resistance, etc are all lame games. and sony's characters died. What I mean is all the series are dead like god of war, mgs, etc. modnation racers was a terrible game. Big rip off of mario kart. You can make your own stuff, but it's not like people look at it. dont get me started with Little big planet, talk about boring. ps3 takes long on some games for online play, especially with mgs 4 and modnation racers. the loading times are terrible. I just sold my ps3, and I don't miss it. ps3 is the last thing I will ever buy from sony. If you want a blu ray player buy one. Don't even get me started with the lame ps store!

Ps3 is worth it's WAY better than x-box 360 I got my ps3 slim because of the videos I could hook up my external hard drive and bam I could watch anything I want that's in avi or mp4 video format and also the games are hella sick

Wii - Not even worth the mention.
Xbox - Not TOO expensive, and really good graphics, along with well known titles.
PS3 - Graphics are as great as Xbox, just more expensive. Overpriced Blu ray system.

Wii - Not even worth the mention.
Xbox - Not TOO expensive, and really good graphics, along with well known titles.
PS3 - Graphics are as great as Xbox, just more expensive. Overpriced Blu ray system.

Bumped thread is bumped, but...

Overpriced Blu-ray? They cost half of the slim otherwise, and when comparing the slim to the new arcade model, the $100 difference is made up for in two years thanks to Xbox Live's costs, so in two years you got a Blu Ray player instead of a bill, and you're saving money starting year 3... Not to mention you won't be getting RRoD on a PS3. They share a rediculous amount of eachother's good games as well, and it seems that the PS3 is getting more and more exclusive content (Assassin's Creed Brotherhood multiplayer beta, Solomon's folly in Red Dead, etc.).

That's my view on it, which has definatly changed over the years. Microsoft dropped the ball they were barely gripping better than Sony, and they stole it without hesitation. I regret buying a 360 over a PS3 nowadays. =/

Well well my friends I see that you all have your own opinions and you really like to attack each other...

is the ps3 worth it? the answer is: DEPENDS

If you don't have any of this generation home consoles then yes it is worth it since you have access to loads and loads of multiplatform games + some good exclusives + free online multiplayer + blue ray player + PS Move. So if you have the money right now and you dont want to pay annualy 60$ for online multiplayer, you have a good internet connection and a nice TV then go for it.

BUT if you want a console that is a little bit cheaper and you can pay 60$ a year for a better online experience, you are ok with DVD in 1080i and you want the BEST versions of the multiplatform games + a great variety of exclusives games then go for an Xbox 360 but you will miss the PS Move because Kinect is not worth it at all I really mean it.

If you want a pretty cheap console with crappy but also free online multiplayer, you already own a DVD or a blueray player or you are ok with just netflix, you don't care about HD graphics (go component video!) with just few decent multiplatform games but the BEST exclusives ever and a very very very nice motion based system ... go for the Wii. (i guess you already own this one)

If you already own a Wii you should go for one of the other two because depending on what you want both are worth it to own.

I own the 3 of them and I have to admit that right now Im giving more use to my Wii and Xbox 360 since Xbox 360 has better graphics in multiplatform games and even if the PS3 has got better graphics in the exclusives games, the Xbox 360 has more exclusives that are actually good. So yeah I have more games on my 360 than on my PS3. BUT now PS3 is growing a lot and it looks like Sony prepared the PS3 for a longterm success because of the PS Move and Blueray disc based system, it will be capable of having better graphics than the 360, in less discs because of the blue ray and it will have 3D games again thanks to the blue ray plus you will enjoy hardcore games with the PS Move (better motion than Wii and better graphics than Wii) and with Kinect you will just have the option to play some casual games.

If you CAN, go get the Wii, the PS3 and the 360, if you can't afford it... take your decision in what I have said here.

Back