Do you want to get married?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't gain anything through being married, really. It's just a nice thing.

I beg to differ.
Think about that financially first. What would happen if something were to happen to you and your 'girlfriend' or kids are now left with nothing cuz they technically mean nothing to you in a court of law.
Now i know this is not a reason to get married but if love someone, then you wouldnt want them to go through that.

i'm married to school. lol.

i'll be married. prolly when i'm 21-ish.
my boyfriend moved late last summer.. naturally don't expect it to last.

i'll have a few relationships over the next 4+ yrs.

;]

General consensus is pretty well everyone wants to get married at some point which is nice to see. Everyone tends to have the same reasons to get married and same things they want out of it too.

Lewi, you were married before? :lol:

I beg to differ.
Think about that financially first. What would happen if something were to happen to you and your 'girlfriend' or kids are now left with nothing cuz they technically mean nothing to you in a court of law.
Now i know this is not a reason to get married but if love someone, then you wouldnt want them to go through that.

That's a question of protection, not a question of love. Love isn't bound by the financial world... lol I'm so fruity.

First off I'm a guy. For the longest time, I could not see myself in marriage, or having kids. I had a Girlfriend for over 7 years, but couldn't see myself spending the rest of my life with her, or starting a family, which ultimately ended the relationship. Then, at age 25, I met the woman who in 7 months would become my wife. Things changed for me overnight. I found the right person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. We now have been married for 17 years, and have two kids (10 and 5) which I can't imagine life without. You can say you will never get married, but I honestly believe there is someone out there for each of us, the challenge is finding them, and being patient enough to let the others go until you do.

Aawwh. I like you.

Yes, I do. I want the expensive dress, cake and ring. But I also want it outside which isn't traditionally religious or something, apparently God changed his mind a few decades ago and it can happen. I'm so with that. Providing that England has reliable weather and it won't bucketlash down.

That's a question of protection, not a question of love. Love isn't bound by the financial world... lol I'm so fruity.

lol fruit cup =p

I know love isnt bound by the financial world, thats just an example i chose to give you.

One day yeah sure why not
I think I'd be worried that of might change things though, actually I dunno.. depends on the people. A lecturer at the college I used to go to has been with her partner for 20 years, and they have two kids together, but just don't feel the need to get married.
Funny this thread, Jay and I were talking about this last might in bed.
Rawr, I'm being called in, I'll finish his on my brake.

I'm not against the idea of getting married, but I don't care much about it either. Like AndThen, marriage doesn't hold any particular significance to me, but I'd be willing to do it for the right woman if she wanted it.

but I'd be willing to do it for the right woman if she wanted it.

And that right there is what it all boils down to. If you meet the right person, you'd know it and you'd bend over backwards for that person. Love is a very powerful thing.

I think I am right in thinking, that at least in England anyway, you do have a leg to stand on if you have been in a relationship for many years and it goes tits up. This is financially speaking, of course. We know that people choose to be 'life partners' and share everything that a married couple would do, and I'm pretty sure the law has been altered to cater for this. Can anyone confirm?

Also, Brandon...yep, but we don't go there.

I think I am right in thinking, that at least in England anyway, you do have a leg to stand on if you have been in a relationship for many years and it goes tits up. This is financially speaking, of course. We know that people choose to be 'life partners' and share everything that a married couple would do, and I'm pretty sure the law has been altered to cater for this. Can anyone confirm?

Also, Brandon...yep, but we don't go there.

Here in the States i believe it doesnt go that far. I think there is a lack the rights for 'life partners' compared to a married couple. But regardless the best thing to do is make a will or deed and put them in it.

Weddings don't have to be religious. I'm not a particularly religious person, so a church wedding was not important to me. My wife is Catholic, but was married once before, and divorced because of a cheating husband. Since she is catholic, a divorce is a sin that has a lot of crap tied to it to be accepted again in the church. Because of that, and the fact I'm not catholic, or a member of any church, a church wedding was not an option for us. We were married outside in a city park next to a waterfall and pond. The cost to have the ceremony was not much, and the scenery was spectacular. There is also a old school building we could have moved to had the weather not cooperated, but we lucked out and it was a beautiful day.

To me marriage has little to do with religion, but more of a personal commitment you are making to each other. And as I said earlier, we have been married for 17 years. I totally understand the young folks here not wanting marriage, and I was the same way. As you get older, and you finish school, or have you life established, that is the time things will start to change, and you will see things different. At least that was the case for me.

If you're referring to "common law marriage", no, we don't legally have that. I think we should though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back