my views towards the wii

powpowpow said:
I don't think you are clued up enough to be deciding how nintendo should be running their company.
Nintendo are clearly winning the "console wars" right now with all the casual gamers/non gamers they have brought in.
Online play is best on the PC.. I don't think that will really ever change. If you bought ur 360 solely for online play, I think that was a big mistake.

Well its a good thing for you that I AM clued into whats going on with nintendos company. Are familiar with the shift in authority since CEO H. Yamauchi retired? Did you know that Myamoto was practically stripped of his power within nintendo? These are the problems nintendo is facing. The fateful step was taken when nintendo broke contract with sony and went to work with a non-japanese compnay known as Phillips. There was a chain reaction you see from this one move, and nintendo lost a lot of third party support and support from fell japanese companies. If you recall correctly, the nes and the snes were huge with third party games. Nintendo was raking in enough money to push for the top of the line systems. However they lost that third party support, that popularity with outside developers and within their own country.
Serves them right, they made a very bad business move and its effects are still seen today. This caused Yamauchi to pass on the torch.

But to who? No not Myamoto, the one responsible for much of nintendo's success. It went to someone else, someone who turned Nintendo into a marketing tool aimed at mass profit rather than the best gaming has to offer. Myamoto has no power, he is a figure head, an icon, treated more like a celebrity than a developer. He had many plans, many project, and all but most shot down for no apparent reason. Power struggle is what it came down to, and Myamoto lost his benefactor, Yamauchi.

So now you have the Wii. A rehash of the Game Cube. No it really is a Game Cube, in fact the key to the wii lay in the smaller size and gimmick remote. A gimmick isnt a bad thing, but nintendo sold their console off of three main things, none of which have to do with good gaming.
Those things? 1. Nintendo franchise (mario, zelda, metriod), 2. Size (slim consoles have shown there is a market for it, so they went out to make the smallest one yet) and 3. a gimmicky controller. None of this relies on good solid games, or hardware. The current head of nintendo, who restructured the entire company, took one look at what was popular (PS slim) (mario name, not game) and knew they had to get something to attract a lot of attention. The Wiimote.

The wiimote was actually designed by Myamoto who got the idea from using a tv remote, one of the few things nintendo let him continue doing is create the controllers. Out of the many prototypes they picked the remote and modeled it after a similar patented device (which nintendo is actually being sued for). Now if Myamoto was able to at least influence the controller, what would happen if he actually had more control over the company? We would see quality in the games and product. We would tilt back towards the pattern used in the snes days. Thats not gonna happen, its only a matter of time before myamoto retires and washes his hands clean of the New nintendo.

These games are not quality anymore. There is no real potential in the wii at all. Its simple, its fun, but you have seen the limits of its capabilities already. It runs of a very very very minimalistic old school system (700mhz cpu), 4.5 gig dvds, and its goal is only to make money where the game cube lost out. It literally is a gamecube with a make over, try number two. Nothing much has changed. Nintendo didnt take the effort to make a next gen system, it merely wants money, money that was lost with the game cube. The inhouse developers are limited by budget, by power and by options because of the route the current nintendo has gone.

The wii has no real future. It is a quick fix, a quick buck, but it has no real substance and unfortunately it did not even try to keep up to date with the other consoles. The result? The wii has the most piracy out of all current gen systems. You think people are paying for crap games? No. Nintendo expected this a little bit, by actually making a profit off of the console rather than the games. The fact that games are so easily pirated, shows that the wii has no future. Myamoto has practically no creative controll. The company is completely restructured, its different. Same name, different soul.

If you go out to get a hamburger (gaming console) and you stop at a McDonalds (Wii) dont expect the hamburger to look or taste like a quality restaraunt style burger (360/ps3). As long as you know you are buying a cheap product for cheap thrills you will be fine. Otherwise, be realistic. Nintendo isnt the same nintendo that make it a success to begin with. It is a cold hearted business now. I have no problems with that, but I do have problems with people who believe blindly that nintendo is still the same. Fanboys really need to think for once. Times change and so people have to change. Dont ally with a company, just go where the quality goes. Sadly that is not nintendo. not anymore.

Gimmick is pure opinion. I almost fully agree with you shiftfallout about Nintendo recuporating from the Gamecube's loss with the Wii though. It makes sense. The Wii is a very promising system, I honestly do not want to sound like a fanboy but the Wii is estimated to be twice as powerful as the Gamecube, all is not lost. New games are coming and people should be happy. I think you are putting Microsoft and Sony too high on a pedestal. Companies practically just gave birth to this new wave of 3D gaming, there is no say in what's going to happen. I think that Nintendo saw a flaw in the future of gaming and decided to take a leap of faith with the Wii. BTW, I think Nintendo has covered the Gamecube's losses with sales from the DS...over and over again.

Don't pretend you know the intentions of Nintendo or whats going on within the company just because you read a few articles on the internet.

Gimmick is not opinion. Its like a box of cereal, one is just a box while the other has a prize inside. The one using the gimmick, a prize, will attract more people.

Either way, Nintendo isnt the same. Since the N64 and even more apparent on the GC, games have been just pushed out. Once the GC started failing they stopped making games for it, thats nice, not like the games were that good anyways.

All I hear is the quality of Nintendo's games. If they were so good then the PS would have been knocked out round one, right? Well the quality Sony and the devs for PS was much higher then Nintendo's three gens in a row. Im counting the Wii cause they are just putting games on it now, they dont really care about the quality of them.

ciper said:
Just wait until all the teenagers come to the thread and take what you say as an attack directed solely at them. "OMG YU R A RETARD"

Hey c'mon now, that's stereotypical. I'm a teen and I respect the opinions of others. I don't do that crap...

Anyway, I like to try to find challenges with my games. Heck, I have 2 Wii games and one VC game, and I've been actively playing my Wii since the day I got it (April 1st). Like right now, I'm going for Platinum medals on all Wii Sports training events (I already have all gold). Also, I'm trying to get a last gold medal on Wii Play. Now this is with "casual" games, if I had an adventure game such as Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, or Red Steel, I believe I'd get quite a bit of enjoyment out of my Wii. Well, that's what I feel anyway.

Well, I love the Wii personally. Can hardly wait to turn it on each day, and see the possibilities as endless for Nintendo. Alot of interesting points have been made on this thread, both informative and opinions alike. However, as consoles keep flying off the shelves before they get a chance to see the light of day, what reason is there for them to rush games or anything else? Sure this obviously disappoints hardcore gamers, and has undoubtedly turned many away (atleast for the meantime), but its business and business is business. For this particular company, it's very good at this point.

Last edited:
CantGetAWii said:
"OMG YU R A RETARD"
Is a stereotype for teenagers?
That's more of the preteen kids that come on here, those damn 11 year olds that talk like that. One's that can't spell yet.

And this here is the list for the dreamcast launch.
Sega Dreamcast
U.S. launch: September 9, 1999

Airforce Delta
Blue Stinger
Expendable
Flag to Flag
House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
Monaco Grand Prix
Mortal Kombat Gold
NFL 2K
NFL Blitz 2000
Pen Pen Tri-Icelon
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
TNN Motorsports Hardcore Heat
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
TrickStyle
"...damn 11 year olds that talk like that."
It's "...damn 11-year-olds who talk like that."
"One's that can't spell yet."
It's "Ones", no apostrophe. Ironic, eh?

Anyway, I repped the thread-starter's post because he expressed better what others try to say. I think Nintendo is doing the right thing, except they should've given us a "Resistance". What I mean is, PS3 owners have pretty much the same selection as Wii owners (in numbers), but PS3 owners had one thing from the start that kept them playing the PS3. I know that's not the situation for everyone, but I think this is how PS3 owners reacted to Resistance, "Hey, this is...a solid game. It's no Metal Gear Solid or GTA, but I could play this for a while."
We got Zelda.
Yea, it's a great game, but it's still just a Gamecube port. And Resistance had online play, so PS3 owners had no doubt that there would be online games in the future.

Last edited:
Tails McCloud~ said:
In my opinion, Mario is dead. The only good game that Nintendo has, is their trump card, Super Smash Bros. Thats the only game that would get a 10 from me. Star Fox was another good one, but not anymore.

idn....you guys sure are poking stabs at mario, a lot of game critics that played galaxy said it's a revolution for him, just like the prime series was for metroid

i say we wait to play the game before we decide what is dead, because mario galaxy will probably be in the top 20 of this gen's console war's software sales

Last edited:
Well, I hope so, but im starting to think that Nintendos going to pull a SEGA on us, but this time, Nintendo wont bounce-back like SEGA did with software...Sonic games have broken my heart recently, I hate to see him go down like this, but if you ask me, Mario has been doing the same thing. The same tacky party and sports games... Mario Galaxy looks like it might deliver this time, but the way all Nintendo series but Zelda have been going, methinks no.

The fact that Wii is just a money cover for the gc failure is obvious, but its not like its a completely useless system, no the games make it that. Methinks thats what all the extra crap is for (VC, internet channel, etc.) to try and keep our attention and give the fanboys something to be happy about.

Guess Shiftallout didnt watch the video on Miyamoto on gamehead, in one of my other posts.

Miyamoto is more than just a "figurehead", he is a HUGE factor in just about everything that goes on at Nintendo.

Give the games time to come out. Nintendo will Triumph, just give it time.

Last edited:
Tails McCloud~ said:
Well, I hope so, but im starting to think that Nintendos going to pull a SEGA on us, but this time, Nintendo wont bounce-back like SEGA did with software...Sonic games have broken my heart recently, I hate to see him go down like this, but if you ask me, Mario has been doing the same thing. The same tacky party and sports games... Mario Galaxy looks like it might deliver this time, but the way all Nintendo series but Zelda have been going, methinks no.
Nintendo has always had side games featuring Mario, Bowling, Golf, . So I wouldn't be worried about the current crop of Mario related games. He'll be back to business when Paper Mario and Galaxy are offically launched!

sherwood3570 said:
It makes sense. The Wii is a very promising system, I honestly do not want to sound like a fanboy but the Wii is estimated to be twice as powerful as the Gamecube, all is not lost.
not even close to double the power actually. The game cube had a 500mhz cpu, the Wii has a 700hmz. A system cannot go beyond what it is capable of process no matter what you put into it. The Wii is perhaps 1/10th more powerful, which is not saying much. Again its just a game cube with a make over and a new input device.

New games are coming and people should be happy. I think you are putting Microsoft and Sony too high on a pedestal. Companies practically just gave birth to this new wave of 3D gaming, there is no say in what's going to happen. I think that Nintendo saw a flaw in the future of gaming and decided to take a leap of faith with the Wii. BTW, I think Nintendo has covered the Gamecube's losses with sales from the DS...over and over again.

Look, I dont hate nintendo, but I say it as it is. I like the Wii, for what the wii does. I do not expect more out of what it is capable of nor do I pretend its more than it really is, unlike some of these fanboys.

In comparison, I realise that Sony and Microsoft have a lot more influence and power than Nintendo. The big fish eats little fish. This battle between companies has just begun, and most likely over the course of 10-20 years we will see things that nintendo cannot keep up with unless they get bought out or merge with another company. Sony and Microsoft are corporations, they have a lot more going on for them and a lot more technologies at their disposal.

Sony I believe saw the future in gaming however. The future has for awhile now been found in two things. Online play and interconnectivity, and the second being user generated content. The Playstation brand has shifted into a compltely mod friendly system. It is the first open console system on the market, where you can run linux, make applications and games. It gives the power to the community and indy developers who do not have nor want a publisher. This is very different and very good.

Nintendo didnt take a chance with the Wii actually. How do I know this? because they are trying to make back their losses from the gamecube. The nintendo Wii is the only system that makes a profit off of the consoles that are sold. This is why it uses old technology, so that nintendo wouldnt lose money even if it flopped. Again, they reused the tech from the game cube, not much change at all actually, redesigned the shape and made it appealing by offering a differtent and eye catching controller.

Its like, serving the same sandwich to a child only this time cutting it triangle shapes rather than square shapes, and putting it on a flashy plate. Its still the same sandwich but it appears different, even though you are still eating the same thing. So in this case you are given a game cube v2.0 and you dont realize it because its shaped and marketed differently.

powpowpow said:
Don't pretend you know the intentions of Nintendo or whats going on within the company just because you read a few articles on the internet.

lol boy, dont assume you know what I know or how I know it. You are in denile fanboy, and unlike you I have been around since day one of nintendo's gaming success. I know very much more than you do. Facts are facts so, you can deny them all you want but it doesnt change anything lol.

Mr.Selfdestruct said:
Guess Shiftallout didnt watch the video on Miyamoto on gamehead, in one of my other posts.

Miyamoto is more than just a "figurehead", he is a HUGE factor in just about everything that goes on at Nintendo.

Give the games time to come out. Nintendo will Triumph, just give it time.

Congradulations, you just saw a video of what? thats right miyamoto as a sales man, as a celebrity as a figure head. Thanks for proving my point. And no champ, he does not have anywhere close to the power he used to have when H. Yamauchi was in charge of nintendo. Did you know he came up with the Mii idea back in the N64 days only it looked 100 times better and could do a lot more, including put your real face in a game. Nintendo laughed at him. Then he finds out that they let someone else take credit for his idea years later with the wii, only they made it ****. Now you have the wii's miis. Nintendo uses Miyamoto now as someone to advertise their product, to show it off, a figure head, but his creative control is **** compared to when he was making the nes, snes, game boy a success. I'm sorry you dont realize the facts. Maybe you and powpowpow can hold hands and start the denile club or something.

You really are a fanboy to the highest degree though, you do knwo that dont you?

Last edited:
Thats what Miyamoto said to me last night while we were playing Wii Sports. He was at your house too?

Back