Sony: Wii is a "sub-element" of PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness to Sony, Nintendo took the opening volly in this war doing a little trash talking on the PS3 AND the 360. No biggie, I happen to agree. On the other hand, Sony is last to the table with an inflated price tag BUT with the built in massive core audience of the PS/PS2. Time will tell, but the initial lack of supply at the outset is going to drive a lot of gamers to Nintendo...those who waited for PS3s at the outset, got shut out but are itching for the latest now that it looks worse and worse for short term PS3 stocks [Even though they are going for understated word of mouth marketing and few ads, they would have been better off to soak the market right about the time the whole PS3 supply debacle started].

On the flip side, Nintendo is going to have to take the criticism until they have their first bona-fide non-Zelda smash (face it, Zelda is off the chart great, but it would have been a financial "smash" from the built in core audience from the get go even it had turned out to be a turd).

So Nintendo needs to put out something that pushes the graphical limit of the system soon with at least decent game play to break through and show it off. It doesn't need to be Gears of War calibre GFX, but something shows without a doubt that it's more advanced than the GameCube at least. Right now, other than the innovative game play nothing at all shows that this system is one iota better in power or performance than the GameCube.

...and I make these comments as a realist. I had been setting aside cash for months to hit a launch PS3 or back up and upgrade to the 360 (sitting on XB1 and a GC at the time), but as soon as I started to see the vids and pre-launch info this summer my son and I both agreed to chuck all of that many towards the Wii investment first (and he had been jonesing BAD for the 360...a couple of the early Wii gameplay videos alone made him basically drop it all to tell me that the Wii should come first).

Last edited:
I agree, no one is strong in every aspects. The reasons I didn't get Gamecube are just those you mentioned: the games lean toward kiddie's stuff and less powerful than Xbox or PS2. Even though Sony has massive fans but I heard that the majority of people waiting in lines for days for the PS3 are those that want to make quick bucks on eBay. Wii has better gameplay but same graphics, PS3 has better graphics but same old gameplay. And for me, I would pick gameplay over graphics (not even to mention that everything is cheaper from console itself to controlers and especially games) AND... if I want better graphics, I spend a little bit more and I have something of both worlds: $650 for BOTH Xbox360 AND Wii vs. $600 for PS3 (not to mention that Xbox360 has better online support not only for games but also media, like iTunes, real soon! And even though Xbox360 is less powerful but it's not like night & day and I can live with that. Look at Gears of War, some even like it more than Resistance! How's about Halo 3 not that far from now!)

man im sick of sony and there bluray bluray BLURAY crap i mean look at the psp and the umd movies the umd movies didnt even last a year! could the bluray have the same fait??

I think most of you need to take some time and compare gamecube graphics to wii graphics, too many of you are saying its the same, when in fact its not. The wii graphics I seen so far are far better than the older GC.

Remax has made plenty of true and valid arguements through his endless spam in this thread, especially when he could of put every message he had into one post rather than posting one after another.

Blue diodes are expensive, it has more to do with Sonys production speed and supply availiability than how many they have sold. The best arguement I've seen was the recycle and reinnovate arguement.

5% of US households have HDTV, Nintendo was smart in not taking the HD route just yet. Blu-ray will fail, why? Because it doesn't have the backing of microsoft (they are supporting HD-DVD). Granted its true more space means more game storage. However 50 some whatever GB is an insane amount of space right now.

Its true, very few companies out there today truly reinnovate/innovate new technology. A few being Apple and Nintendo for example. Ever noticed that Apple and Nintendo follow the same business practices? Makes you wonder why they are hugely successful companies, and rated number one in customer service in their respective industries.

DX10 just plain outright owns any console system right now. Don't believe it? Check out Crysis.

Computer games aren't for computer geeks. Don't stereotype, it only makes you appear like your talking out of your ass.

Last point, if you think your wii is losing its appeal, why you continue to come here evades me. Sell it, there are tons out there who would love to have it.

I don't want to sound like a Sony lover or a Wii hater, but the sony rep. made a valid and true point.

PS3 and Wii are not the same thing!

He did say the "Wii is a core gaming device. It's a more fun, intuitive sort of product to pick up" Now, notice how he said "more fun" MORE FUN!!!! That's what the Wii is all about right their!!!

Now, don't bash PS3. It's true that it' the gadget right now that comes the closest to being an all entertainment center. I personally always wanted such a device. Actually, I always wished for a device as good as a PC in versatility but that would be small and easily accessible through my TV and sofa while I eat. That's what the dude said the PS3 was all about: "a broader entertainment solution"

You people need to stop being biased, the PR actually stated valid facts.

Blu-ray stinks!
My friend says he wants a PS3, and I say "why?". He says that the "GFX are more important to him". So I say "fair enough, but you dont have the proper TV to enjoy the full experince of the PS3".

I'd say about 1/4 of PS3 owners arent experincing the full potentail of the PS3....

sagema said:
Sony needs to focus on Microsoft, and at least aim for #2 in 2007. How did Sony gain so much ego? Their current PR staff needs to be fired if this is all they can come up with.

Oh the guy definitely not a PR staff, he is a general manager who responsible to manage everything but since he got nothing to do, that's right no PS3 to sell in his region due to production delay, quality problem etc, he has becoming nosey to other's ppl business.

Anyway, why do I need a multimedia console as I can do most of the stuff on the PC apart from playing PS3 games in a much convenient fashion. I can just buy a blu-ray drive or even writer and leave the gaming bit to Wii.

didibus said:
I don't want to sound like a Sony lover or a Wii hater, but the sony rep. made a valid and true point.

PS3 and Wii are not the same thing!

He did say the "Wii is a core gaming device. It's a more fun, intuitive sort of product to pick up" Now, notice how he said "more fun" MORE FUN!!!! That's what the Wii is all about right their!!!

Now, don't bash PS3. It's true that it' the gadget right now that comes the closest to being an all entertainment center. I personally always wanted such a device. Actually, I always wished for a device as good as a PC in versatility but that would be small and easily accessible through my TV and sofa while I eat. That's what the dude said the PS3 was all about: "a broader entertainment solution"

You people need to stop being biased, the PR actually stated valid facts.

Actually thats right. The Wii offers fun. The PS3 offers GFX and other Entertainment. Such as Music or DVD's. Im suprised that Wii can't play DVD's. I'd like that since I don't have a DVD player in my room. And the one from my PS2 is broken lol. But this PS3 guy is right In a way

Seibar said:
how many wiis have sold now? over 1mil? and none of them have a bluray, or even a dvd player.

how many ps3s would have sold if it didnt have bluray? not nearly as many, or at least as quickly.
and sony says nintendo has sub elements...

Actually, I think Sony would have done well to skip the Blu-Ray player.

The PS3 would have been cheaper, and I, for one, hope to see the Blu-Ray format fail soon.

So, for me, the Blu-Ray is a turn off.

Remax Realtor said:
Sounds like somebody is scared that a superior system is gonna use the wii's only good selling point and make it better with superior graphics, sound, and a broader range of games.

Sounds like someone's got their feelings hurt because Sony's new system is crap.

Here's some food for thought:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162560.html

Oh, and feel free to do that "typo correction" thing you do somewhere else.

Remax Realtor said:
If you actually read my posts, you would understand that I could care less. I dont buy movies. Blue ray is there for better graphics and bigger games. Isnt it bedtime for you?

Honestly its gonna come down to

hd dvd or blue ray

In a year or two, both players will be about the same price. Blu ray has more potential from larger disks, which do you think will win?

If one format is to win, I think it will be HD DVD. If history has taught us nothing else, it has taught us that Sony's proprietary formats have a short lifespan.

I seriously hope that the trends keeps up and Blu-Ray goes the way of the dodo.

You do realize that optical output on your media equipment is for audio, right?

Last edited:
Remax Realtor said:
Rightttttt. Ps2 sold the most consoles or any system on the planet. Ps3 will follow suit. Enjoy playing rayman, excite truck, or crappy red steel, with sub par graphics/sound. Wii sports gets boring after a little while, and wii play will be the same way. All the wii has is zelda. I agree that half of the ps2 titles suck. Im very picky with video games. I could honestly say I only like maybe 5% of games.

Computer games are for geeks. End of discussion.

Dont worry my ps3 wont burn up. However I have heard of alot of wii's crapping out.

I SERIOUSLY doubt PS3 will ever outsell Wii or 360.

Did you join this forum just to bash the Wii, or what?

Last time I checked, you had to be at least 18 to get a real estate license. How'd you get yours?

Remax Realtor said:
anybody who likes star wars is guaranteed never to get a woman.

Listen to all of you little guys. Saved up all of your hard earned allowances just to buy a nintendo wii. I cant blame you. If I had to save all of my money to buy system that cant display peoples legs, real words, or capable of graphics above gamecube, I would defend it too. From the last few replys, im guessing most kids in here are under 12 years old which is what the wii is targeted towards. I will stick with my ps3 which is targeted towards adults. Maybe when you guys grow up, you can have a big boy system too :thumbsup:

That's funny... I love Star Wars, I'm married, and we have a kid!

Riddle me this: Why is it that I can't get anything above retail price for my unopened PS3 on eBay, but Wii's are selling like made for $100+ above retail on eBay?

Here's my last auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEUS:IT&viewitem=&item=290057467735&rd=1&rd=1

I think it's because too many people figured out that PS3's are junk. Forget WalMart in a box; they're crap in a box.

wii_kid88 said:
My god people is there any debate for true gamers, wii rocks,ps3 sucks.
End of story
:thumbsup: haha

I love internet wars! They are so much fun to watch. Microsoft has tried multiple times with the whole taking over my living room deal and has failed. Face it, a game machine is a game machine. People who want media centers will build mythTV or mediaportal boxes which have much more flexibility and can be had for much less than the cost of a ps3. I'll still probably get a ps3 sometime next year for FFXIII :)

Johndoe01 said:
I agree, no one is strong in every aspects. The reasons I didn't get Gamecube are just those you mentioned: the games lean toward kiddie's stuff and less powerful than Xbox or PS2. Even though Sony has massive fans but I heard that the majority of people waiting in lines for days for the PS3 are those that want to make quick bucks on eBay. Wii has better gameplay but same graphics, PS3 has better graphics but same old gameplay. And for me, I would pick gameplay over graphics (not even to mention that everything is cheaper from console itself to controlers and especially games) AND... if I want better graphics, I spend a little bit more and I have something of both worlds: $650 for BOTH Xbox360 AND Wii vs. $600 for PS3 (not to mention that Xbox360 has better online support not only for games but also media, like iTunes, real soon! And even though Xbox360 is less powerful but it's not like night & day and I can live with that. Look at Gears of War, some even like it more than Resistance! How's about Halo 3 not that far from now!)
Dude, about the wohle gamecube = bad graphics deal.... There were some games with really good graphics. Look at the resident evil games! (with the exception of RE2 and Re3 Nemesis). They had Damn good graphics. I thought they were way better than anything that xbox or playstatin had to offer. I think that the main reason people are dissapointed with system graphics is that nintendo's main focus of the launch was innovation, not graphic competition. If you think about, the Wii's graphics do not compare to the Playstation or the xbox's.....BUT, this also gives nintendo an excuse to release their Innovative games to showcase controller versatility whilst still developing their smash hits. In doing this, they will be able to showcase the graphical Improvement of the system once the better games actually come out. We are still running primarily off of launch games for the wii, so I think we have only gotten a small taste of the systems power. Although the graphical capabilities will not be AS good as it's competitors, it will still be a LOT better than the consoles before it. Just look at the screens for super smash brothers! total video game awesomeness. the only reason that games like metroid are not going to showcase uber load of graphical improvement is because they are running off of the same game engine as the game cube. I think once they start to make NEW titles, then we shall see the true power of the wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back