The Official Pokemon Challenge Thread

... Oh. derp

Sandslash

- Sand Tomb
- Dig
- Sandstorm
- Earthquake

Guess what I just didn't teach Sandslash... Sand Tomb lol. Well back to the last safe :/

Internet went down, so this post went up way later than planed...

Pokemon Black 2 No Item/Scramble/Moveset Challenge, Update 2
After defeating this professor guy I spent a long time to find the "10%" encounter rate Sandshrew and named it Sonic (just the usual creativity with my nicknames) and went straight to Nimbassa City after that. The gym was really easy even though I was really underleveled, because I had to ground pokemon to play with. Zebstrika sadly got both of them down, but Karp (man I love him) managed to survive 1 Volt Switch and took finished the last part of the HP bar. Later after running through Dritfveil City I caught a Deerling (wanted a winter one, but I can't change the season -.- It looks cool as long as it's not evolved though) and named it Rudolph. (never mind the season thing. I just found out that it doesn't stay the same all the time... makes more sense that way. While trying to get my team on lvl 30 I decided to head a little bit back for easier grinding and meat a Gothita... Totally forgot about her. I couldn't think of a name so it stays the same.

Team

Karp (Crobat) lvl 31 with Brave nature and Inner Focus
-Confuse Ray
-Bite
-Fly (replacing Astonish because it feels cheat to use it instead of Wing Attack)
-Wing Attack

Schnappi (Krokorok) lvl 30 with Bashful nature and Moxie
-Bite
-Swagger
-Crunch
-Sand Tomb

Sonic (Sandslash) lvl 30 with Modest nature and Sand Veil
-Crush Claw
-Dig
-Magnitude
-Fury Swipes
Rudolph (Deerling) lvl 30 with Mild nature and Sap Sipper
-Jump Kick
-Leech Seed
-Faint Attack
-Aromatherapy

Gothita (Gothita) lvl 30 with Hardy nature and Frisk
-Flatter
-Psyshock
-Psybeam
-Embargo

Pokemon Black 2 No Item/Scramble/Moveset Challenge, Update 3
For now this will just be the next gym. After I trained every Pokemon to lvl 30 I challenged Clay. I started with Sonic and used Crush Claw 2 times and luckily I got 2 defense drops, so I could take Krokorok out with Fury Swipes (pretty much the least smartest thing to do). For the Sandslash I switched to Rudolph to get a Leech Seed off before swithing to Schnappi to really fight it. Sadly Schnappi lost, but it was able to take Sandslash low enough so that Karp can take it out with one Wing Attack and the Leech Seed. For Excadrill I sent in Rudolph again for the Leech Seed, but it was too slow and got taken out by Metal Claw. Sonic only got in one Magnitude before it got taken out by a Rock Slide flinch and Metal Claw which raised Excadrills attack (I hate that thing... It's almost as bad as Whitney's Miltank). I sent in Karp and confused it, but it hit 2 times in a row and took out Karp with Rock Slide and Gothita with just a Bulldoze...
Most awesome and most random fight EVER!!! (well maybe that's
exaggerated) So I started the same way as on my first attempt, but I didn't get any stat drops, so he healed and Sonic lost, but managed to get one final drop and Rudolph was able to get a revenge kill. For Sandslash I switched in Rudolph to Leech Seed and used then used Karp. With some luck on confusion and avoiding a few attacks with Fly and the Leech Seed I defeated it and barely lost HP, but that was kinda irrelevant, because Excadrill took only hit itself once and then took out Karp with a Rock Slide. I used Rudolph to Leech Seed it again, before it took that out without taking any extra damage thanks to another flinch and it snapped out of confusion. Then Schnappi's Swagger missed once and it got taken out. Somehow Gothita survived a Slash and Flatter made Excadrill hit itself twice, which together with some weak Psybeams finally killed it... Clay must hate me now, but the luck was two sided.

Team

Karp (Crobat) lvl 32 with Brave nature and Inner Focus
-Confuse Ray
-Bite
-Fly (replacing Astonish because it feels cheat to use it instead of Wing Attack)
-Wing Attack

Schnappi (Krokorok) lvl 30 with Bashful nature and Moxie
-Bite
-Swagger
-Crunch
-Sand Tomb

Sonic (Sandslash) lvl 30 with Modest nature and Sand Veil
-Crush Claw
-Dig
-Magnitude
-Fury Swipes
Rudolph (Deerling) lvl 30 with Mild nature and Sap Sipper
-Jump Kick
-Leech Seed
-Faint Attack
-Aromatherapy

Gothita (Gothita) lvl 30 with Hardy nature and Frisk
-Flatter
-Psyshock
-Psybeam
-Embargo

White Outs:1

Last edited:
If I want to do a speed challenge do I still have to make updates? It seems unreasonable to make 3 updates for something that can be done in an afternoon.

A valid point. If someone were to complete a Speed Challenge in just one or two sessions, I wouldn't want anyone t' disrupt their momentum solely to post an update. That said, ya should still post an update if you don't slam through the Challenge all at once. Surely some Challengers would be interested in hearin' about what speed runnin' tactics you're utilizing; case in point, myself.

I made a segmented one and I saved and made a short update after every gym. It only were oneliners, so you can fit them in one post and everybody also had an idea how you did it and you have a safe point in case something goes horribly wrong

I'd like to sign up for a speed run of FireRed. I've done it a few times before, but I'd like to see if I can beat my previous times. Wish me luck!

Challenge accepted. Good luck on improvin' your best time; what time would that be, anyways?

Finished a yellow speedrun in 0:00 in game time...

Is there any sort of random value when calculating the damage an attack does? It sometimes feels like the enemy survives the same attack twice even though the first one put him into orange. Not sure if that is just some weird interaction with uneven numbers or actually random

Last edited:
Is there any sort of random value when calculating the damage an attack does? It sometimes feels like the enemy survives the same attack twice even though the first one put him into orange. Not sure if that is just some weird interaction with uneven numbers or actually random

My understanding is that there is a range of damage you can do and the number is just randomly picked by the game.

I just went to a damage calculator and this is the default calulation there:
252+ SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 178-211 (46.3 - 54.9%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO
(178, 181, 183, 186, 187, 189, 192, 193, 196, 198, 199, 202, 204, 207, 208, 211)

I believe those numbers in the brackets are the different damages you can deal and the game picks one randomly

It's very possible that I'm wrong, so if anyone knows better than me, don't hesitate to show me how wrong I am :)

Last edited:
My understanding is that there is a range of damage you can do and the number is just randomly picked by the game.

I just went to a damage calculator and this is the default calulation there:
252+ SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 178-211 (46.3 - 54.9%) -- 65.6% chance to 2HKO
(178, 181, 183, 186, 187, 189, 192, 193, 196, 198, 199, 202, 204, 207, 208, 211)

I believe those numbers in the brackets are the different damages you can deal and the game picks one randomly

qft

Indeed, Pokemon is a game literally built on RNG. Secondary effects, capture chance, generating a Pokemon's unique traits (IVs, shininess, nature, etc.)... damage output is no exception.

That makes it all so much less calculatable for challenges... Well thanks for clearing that for me. Had no idea what I should have googled :D

No, the randomness of damage output is still perfectly calculable. Damage calculators always list the possible range of damage. It's just that ya can't count on a consistent, static number.

In my wedlocke the enemy survived with orange hp and I stayed in and didn't defeat it, so I lost one of my Pokes :( Felt cheated

Sorry for not posting in a while, but mid terms and what not. I've also decided to not finish my challenge until I beat my personal record of 2:41:36. I didn't run it in a while, so I'm practicing when I have time to catch up to where I was.

Eh, don't worry about it too much
The Karp Mod has been offline for a while now
Probably internet trouble

Back