The Official Pokemon Challenge Thread

Well ain't that somethin'... wonder how much of a boost it is, and whether or not it works in conjunction with Experience gained via Exp. Share.

Grinding is so frustrating... One critical and I have a good chance of blacking out. It's a bit better with 2 Pokés, but still no fun. I'm looking forward to having the new exp share that would make the Harmonia Challenge more fun

Begin the Pokemon X Monotype challenge (Audience cheers in the background)

Got woken up by a Fletchling so wonder what is up
Wander downstairs
Get told to get dressed (Evil Mother)
Wanted to go out in my pajamas today
Get dressed
Go downstairs
Go outside
Meet neighbors
Go to Aquacorde Town
Obtain Kurama (Male Fennekin)
Burn a Chespin
Go home, deliver letter to Mother
Travel through Santalune forest, burning everything in my path
Catch a Pikachu for my other self in an alternate dimension
Reach Santalune City
Obtain Roller Skates!
Beat Gym Trainers
Beat Gym Leader with no problems (That critical hit from bubble was NOT cool Viola.) Ok one problem, used a potion and KO'ed everything using a combination of howl and scratch on the Surskit timed until Water Sport ran out (5 turns) and burned the living christ outta Vivillon
Obtained Bug Badge - Current team - Kurama (15)
Toddled onto Route 4
Ko'ed pokemon for half an hour
Evolved Kurama
Found Male Ralts!
Killed Male Ralts
Facepalmed hard
Found Female Ralts!
Caught Female Ralts (named Grace)
20 mins later.......
Found Male Ralts!
Caught Male Ralts (named Shruikan)

Current team:
Kurama (Male Braixen) - Fire - 18
Shruikan (Male Ralts) - Psychic/Fairy - 9
Grace (Female Ralts) - Psychic/Fairy - 9

XU UPDATE

I wasn't really paying attention when I was playing this section as I was watching Marriland's X playthrough (I'm quite behind with that. I'm only up to episode 36 out of 73), so this update will be a bit vague

Once everyone had gained a few levels, I battled Grant again and somehow managed to beat him using only Amaura.
I caught a Woobat in Reflection Cave on my way to Shalour City, completing my team (I think. I might make changes to it later on). I also picked up the Eviolite while I was in Shalour as it'll probably be useful later on. I trained Woobat up so it'll be of some use in the next gym battle and then battled the gym.
I beat all the trainers before needing to go back and heal. Against Korrina, Woobat beat Mienfoo, Fennekin beat Machoke, and Woobat beat Hawlucha.
Nothing interesting happened on the way to Coumarine City.
Beat Ramos and got my fourth badge using mainly Woobat and Fennekin.

Last edited:
XU UPDATE

Never underestimate the power of Pokemon Amie

I made my way to the Kalos Power Plant to stop Team Flare from stealing power and was successful. So to celebrate, I went to Lumiose City for a gym battle. It was a really easy battle thanks to Sandile, who single-hanededly took on the whole gym.
I then went back to route 6 to get Venoshock to teach to Bulbasaur to help against the gym that was coming up, Fairy. I made it to the gym easily but got lost with all the teleporter things, so it took me a while to find the leader. When I found her, I was met with a Mawile which was immune to Venoshock -_-. I switched out to Fennekin and took it out. Mr. Mime was next so I switched Bulbasaur in, totally forgetting about Mr. Mime's Psychic typing (not sure how that happened) I got 1 Venoshock off before being OHKOed by Psychic. I finished it off with Woobat. Sylveon wasn't very difficult for Woobat and I got my 6th badge.
I sped through everything until the next gym and went to battle it immediately. Amaura took out Sigilyph with a Take Down, which was an ice-type move due to Refrigerate. Bulbasaur beat Slowking with 2 Seed Bombs. Meowstic was easily the most difficult and it took quite a few of my pokemon to beat it, but I eventually got it.
After I had healed, I spent some time using Pokemon Amie so that Panpour would be getting boosted experience as well as all the other pokemon in my team (not sure why I didn't do this earlier).

I flew back to Lumiose City to take on Team Flare's base. As I entered, I was met by Lysandre who destroyed me wth his Pyroar. So naturally, I went back immediately to challenge him again. It got down to one pokemon each; his Pyroar with full health against my Panpour with half health. At this point I thought I had lost again and was a bit sad that I had to do some grinding. Pyroar used Hyper Voice and 'PANPOUR TOUGHED IT OUT TO SHOW ITS BEST SIDE TO JORDAN'!!!!! Panpour survived with 1 HP and then got a critical hit with Surf!
I was so happy with this turn of events that I had to stop to savour the fact that Pokemon Amie saved my ass in that battle.

Last edited:
Pokemon Soulsilver Harmonia Challenge
I ran arround all the trainers and got me a Swinup at the icy cave. It was really hard to train it at the beginning, so I lost a lot of money. Then I caught a Poliwag to make training a little easier and then got the idea to evolve it into Politoed as which it could help me a lot with Blizzard and a decent special attack stat, so I trained it, too. At lvl 25 I finally went to the next town and got me Jynx. Then I continued grinding until Pilosswine and Poliwhirl were lvl 38 and Jynx lvl 35 (got bored at this point even though I was doing something else while running arround). I also caught a Teddiursa, so that something could take Gyrados intimidate and then basicly just faint (not Harmonia like but I gotta do what I gotta do). Sadly I couldn't evolve Poliwhirl, because I don't have my 3DS atm, but I taught Jynx Shadowball. I gave Piloswine Never Melt Ice and Jynx got the Choice Specs. I lost this fight 3 times before that, so I knew more about how she will react. I started the fight with Teddiursa and sadly it got defeated by one Dragonpulse of Gyrados. I sent in Piloswine, used Avalanche and for some reason Gyrados only decided to use Dragon Rage (good 8th gym leader right there...) I tried to finish it with Ice Shard, but it survived with 1HP :zzz: (big surprise there, game). Luckily I got a critical on the next Avalanch while she healed, so I used Ice Shard and took out Gyrados (for some reason it worked this time, I would still have had 4HP after the next Dragon Rage and it didn't actually influence the fight). I sent in Poliwhirl for Kingdra to use Hypnosis, but it missed, so she took me out with 2 Dragon Pulses. Jynx lowered Kingdra's special defense on the first hit and Hydropump missed the first time, so Jynx almost took it out already after the second Shadow Ball. I then used 2 Hyper Potions until it missed another Hydrod Pump (got pretty lucky there) and then took attacked once more. For the first Dragonair I switched in Piloswine and attacked with Ice Shard, but it wasn't enough, so Piloswine also got defeated. Just in case I healed Jynx and then ended the battle with a Powder Snow and a critical on the second Dragonair. Then my mother send me a choice scarf which could become really useful later
(Dragonite vs Dragonite ftw)
I turned Poliwhirl into my HM slave for the Dragon's Den and got my 8th badge

Old Pokemon:
Piloswine lvl 38 with Oblivious and Adamant nature(NeverMelt Ice)
-Avalanche
-Ice Shard
-Strenght
-Mud Bomb

Poliwhirl (pre HM slave) lvl 38 with Damp and Sassy nature (King's Rock)
-Hypnosis
-Swahher
-Waterfall
-Blizzard (that's where I wasted my money on, so that I can't get it for Jynx...)

Jynx lvl 37 with Oblivious and Modest nature (Choice Specs) (I planned on using it as a set up Pokemon at first, so there are 2 oves that don't work with Choice Specs)
-Powder Snow
-Reflect
-Shadow Ball
-Hail

Teddiursa lvl 20 with Pickup and Rash nature (Amulet Coin)
-Lick
-Fake Tears
-Fury Swipes
-Faint Attack

New Pokemon:

Dratini with Shed Skin and Jolly nature
-(attacks will change a lot anyways)

Magikarp with Swift Swim and Lonely nature...
-Splash
-Tackle

These are grind heavy Pokemon again, but I'll be fine (and I don't have another choice anymore)

Feedback: I still really like this challenge. It can be really tough if you can't revive in battle and it also forces you to use a wide range of Pokemon which was the reason for my first challenge here. It also involves planing ahead. From the first badge I was thinking what Pokemon I want to use and if I didn't do that I'd have to do a Dratini Single run for a while

Are HM Pokemon allowed for the challenge? Running around isn't that much fun

Last edited:
Yep, HM slaves are allowed. Doesn't fit with the Harmonia Challenge's theme, but a rule against 'em in any way just results in annoyance. And a rule that's just-plain annoyin' without good reason has no place in my Challenge rulesets.

XU UPDATE

Never underestimate the power of Pokemon Amie

... Oh, I forgot 'bout that. Amie is 100% banned in all Challenges. My fault for not makin' a rule sooner, so keep on with your Challenge. Just don't abuse Amie any more.

The rules have been updated!​

The following rulesets have been modified: General Rules

Rules changed: None

Rules added: #4

Please read any and all rule adjustments/additions, regardless of whether or not they pertain to any current Challenge(s) you're playing or planning.

... Oh, I forgot 'bout that. Amie is 100% banned in all Challenges. My fault for not makin' a rule sooner, so keep on with your Challenge. Just don't abuse Amie any more.
Well that kinda sucks. I've spent a while on Amie using almost every one of my pokemon (poor Sandile missed out) but I won't do any more

Oh, I just thought of something. Super Training? Yay or nay?
And X/Y challenges end when you beat AZ right?

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a problem. It is an easier way to get ev, which weren't forbidden so far... I want to know that too though

Are legendairies allowed in Harmonia? It would save me from more grinding or a devastating defeat in the E4.

A new type of challenge is here:
Though I will probably not do it ever
JflISIt.jpg

Not a bad idea for a Scramble off-shoot, but it has a few issues... namely boosted Exp. for traded Pokes, and the fact Wonder Trade is volatile, what with it bein' mostly worthless early-game Pokes up for grabs. Or you can get a retardedly powerful team of end-game Pokes. It'd essentially be a (much) less enjoyable Scramble Challenge, and would add to the problem of low value Pokes bein' distributed on Wonder Trade. RNG > WT

Since ya can't trade over PokeRus nor items for EV trainin', the difficult Challenges that call for it are painfully boring in the beginning. As such, I've never considered any rules limiting/banning Super Training. Like the Exp. Share, it just makes grinding quicker. Convenience can make for a more fun Challenge, 'specially the harder ones. Oh, and also Dusk Stones.

And X/Y challenges end when you beat AZ right?

Yep.

Are legendairies allowed in Harmonia? It would save me from more grinding or a devastating defeat in the E4.

'Course. They ain't banned in any other Challenges, wouldn't make sense to ban 'em in Harmonia. 'Sides, legendaries with a catch rate of 3 ain't a walk in the park to capture with a ragtag team of underleveled Pokes with lackluster movesets. 'Specially if we're talkin' 'bout legendaries with recovery moves.

'Course. They ain't banned in any other Challenges, wouldn't make sense to ban 'em in Harmonia. 'Sides, legendaries with a catch rate of 3 ain't a walk in the park to capture with a ragtag team of underleveled Pokes with lackluster movesets. 'Specially if we're talkin' 'bout legendaries with recovery moves.

Good thing I got the master ball :D
Did you decide what to do after I beat the league in SS/HG? Catching a whole new team would take a lot of effort to train, since the wild Pokemon around only are on lvl 36 at best :/

Harmonia Rules said:
When traveling to Kanto for the first time, you will catch a new team one final time, and may catch a single Pokemon from an area you've already visited. After obtaining any Kanto badges, you are not required to catch a new team.

derptext

Oh I think I missed that change... Sorry

Pokemon Soulsilver Harmonia Challenge
Right after getting my badge I got the Dratini from the old guy and caught a Magikarp. My next opponents will be the Kimono Girls, so I have to raise the levels quite a lot, because these girls are strong. When I started the fight Dragonair and Gyrados both were lvl 35 and it still took me more than 1 try to get past the Jolteon and the first time I did it I already lost Gyrados, so I had no chance against Vaporeon. In my final attempt I got a bit lucky, but it only saved me a few potions. I lead with Gyrados who had a Choice Scarf (thanks mom) and used Waterfall while hoping for a flinch and that Gyrados won't hit itself. I only got hit by 1 Dark Pulse. Espeon flinched on the first Waterfall and then also lost, so that's one potion less that I planed on using. Flareon obviously was no problem. For Jolteon I switched to Dragonair. I only needed 3 hits with Waterfall, but because of double team I missed a lot and had to use one potion before finally getting a crit on my second hit. For Vaporeon I just used Strenght 3 times and beat the Kimono Girls. I replaced Waterfall on Gyrados with Whirlpool and went to the Whirl Islands to catch Lugia. I tried catching it normally, but it didn't even want to stay in the ball for 1 shake, even though it was paralyzed and down to the red, so I used my Masterball. I'll just fix my movesets and then on to the E4 now!!!

Dragonair lvl 37 with Shed Skin and Jolly nature (Muscle Band)
-Extreme Speed
-Thunder Wave
-Waterfall
-Dragon Rage

Gyrados lvl 37 with Intimidate and Lonely nature (Choice Scarf)
-Surf
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall
-

Lugia lvl 45 with Pressure and Hardy nature ()
-Extrasensory
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Aeroblast

I think I could win against the E4 already, but I kinda want a Dragonite...

Last edited:
Back