Why I think PS3 will come out on top.

Shift-

I agree and disagree. The 360 w/add-ons is more expensive than the PS3, but as a standalone video game system it is $200-$300 less; the later being the what majority of consumers want, just a video game system. There are some who genuinely want it as a home entertainment system, but they are in the minority.

I entirely agree that for amount of capabilities it has, the PS3 is priced fairly. But at the same time I have no need for the BR player, because I will never purchase BR movies. So, to me, the PS3 remains an overpriced console because its price exceeds my intended purpose. It's like going to the store to buy a regular chair. In the store there are two similar chairs, a regular one that is $100 and one that reclines, but it cost $200. Even though the recliner has an added luxury, I have no use for it. So I view the recliner as just an expensive regular chair, because I will never use it to recline. (did that make any sense?).

As far a marketing goes the PS3 is still predominantly marketed as a video game console. Companies continue to stock it in the video game section, both online and in stores. And it is placed in Sunday ads next to the Wii and 360. This may not be what Sony wants, but I have yet to see a PS3 commercial that focuses on the movie or home entertainment aspect of the system.

I think Sony hasn't put enough effort to emphasize the capabilities of the PS3... which is also a problem with the PSP. And until they begin to market it as such, it will remain just an expensive video game console in the mind of the average consumer.

Jack said something like that how they need to improve on getting the message out there

HOME will be amazing but sony isn't marketing it I went to Sony Styles and they have a ridiculously small section for the PlayStations

Rahnter said:
Shift-

I agree and disagree. The 360 w/add-ons is more expensive than the PS3, but as a standalone video game system it is $200-$300 less; the later being the what majority of consumers want, just a video game system. There are some who genuinely want it as a home entertainment system, but they are in the minority.

I entirely agree that for amount of capabilities it has, the PS3 is priced fairly. But at the same time I have no need for the BR player, because I will never purchase BR movies. So, to me, the PS3 remains an overpriced console because its price exceeds my intended purpose. It's like going to the store to buy a regular chair. In the store there are two similar chairs, a regular one that is $100 and one that reclines, but it cost $200. Even though the recliner has an added luxury, I have no use for it. So I view the recliner as just an expensive regular chair, because I will never use it to recline. (did that make any sense?).

As far a marketing goes the PS3 is still predominantly marketed as a video game console. Companies continue to stock it in the video game section, both online and in stores. And it is placed in Sunday ads next to the Wii and 360.
We have not seen the full extent of Sonys marketing strategies, as they have not really been doing much. However its no secret they have something planned to tie in with their releases. They released the system early, but are still waiting for their projects to finish, is what i have been finding.

As for how a retailer markets the console, thats up to them.

his may not be what Sony wants, but I have yet to see a PS3 commercial that focuses on the movie or home entertainment aspect of the system.
Theres a few, most of the stuff is european. They do tie in games to as much as possible, but they do exist.
--->>>[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI_S2UBkHZE[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXHb91abspY[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Va9w0JjsM[/MEDIA]

Lets look at the text marketing on the ps3. You will find this places talking about the PS3 with equal focus on the games as well as on the box.

"Multimedia

The PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system gives you unprecedented control, access and enjoyment of a full range of digital media. The PLAYSTATION®3 system's power, flexibility and connectivity will ignite the next era in home entertainment.

* Music & Audio
o Play music CDs
o Connect to the internet to obtain detailed album information including album title, artist, length of album
o Copy CDs directly to your hard disk drive (HDD)
o Store and listen to other formats of audio/music files
* Movies & Videos
o Play Blu-ray Discs™ (BD) and DVDs
o Connect your digital video camera directly to your PLAYSTATION®3 with a USB cable
o Store and watch your own videos
o Download exclusive video content from PLAYSTATION®Store and the PLAYSTATION®3 Portal
* Photos
o Store your personal digital photo albums
o Use any of the various slideshow options to view
* Internet
o Surf the Internet with the PLAYSTATION®3 Internet Browser and the SIXAXIS™ wireless controller. You’re free to choose your own online destinations"

The commercials are more game focused, but they give equal focus on media as well.

I think Sony hasn't put enough effort to emphasize the capabilities of the PS3... which is also a problem with the PSP. And until they begin to market it as such, it will remain just an expensive video game console in the mind of the average consumer.

I agree, they could do more. I think its just a matter of time before they go on the offensive, but we will just have to wait and see. Perhaps they dont want to advertise something when its not completely ready for it yet, aka firmware updates, games, HOME, internet..ect

Last edited:
Wow that first commercial can make one cry! everyone looks so depressed. Like there all gonna jump off a cliff the next day! Ok that really won't make anybody want a ps3!(unless they can get flashing tattoos)
lol.

Shiftfallout said:
In the free world, no its not a lot of money. OBVIOUSLY if you dont work or MAKE AN EFFORT and use your head to get more income, then it will be tough. People tend to complain about what they are not willing to earn.
"in the free world"? Don't you mean, the supposed average for member countries of the G8? Use your head to get more income? There's plenty of people that are intelligent and poor. It's not that people are not willing to earn more, it's that the system (especially in the UK) is designed to keep people down. Living costs have risen faster than minimum wage. Whether you like to believe that you "earn" your money is irrelevant. There's people out there that have to take on multiple jobs just to stay afloat. In the ideal world, people would be able to earn a fair wage for their work. This is not an ideal world though, and people are constantly getting less than they deserve.

I do not have anything against anyone that says they cant afford it. But this is what I do have a problem with, people who complain because they refuse or cannot buy it. You know how many times I hear "omg the ps3 is so expensive, its worth like.. 200 at most." Its just retarded.
I know I haven't said that the PS3 is only worth 200 (I pressume dollars), maybe it is worth $600 or even more. However, it doesn't change the fact that some people (especially in an underprivilaged position) simply cannot afford it, whether they would want to have it or not.

The truth is, people want what they cant get, and complain why they cant get it, when the problem is theirs and not the products.
Generalisng a bit there. I cannot afford a BMW, and to be honest, I don't really care. I cannot afford a holiday in Antartica, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to go there anyway.

No matter how much they complain the PS3 is too much, ITS NOT.
It is too much, for them to afford. Doesn't mean that the parts of the PS3 are too high. Everyone knows that Sony is losing money on the PS3 console itself, but one cannot go through life buying things, just because they're "bargains". People prioritise. If they can afford it, they may just pick it up. I have to yet to hear of a case whereby someone has bought a PS3 and lost their house because they couldn't pay the rent.

It might not be worth it to them, but if you are a working adult, $600 should not be a lot of money.
You're counting on the idea that people get the wage they deserve. This is not alway the case. Take for example, footballers. Sure there's pressure on them. But who is more important, a footballer, or a policeman? I'd have to say a policeman, yet they still don't get the kind of money some footballers get.

Especially if you are trying to make more money.
I think you're getting obsessed with money.

Obviously the guy who refuses to grow up and works lazily at the local supermarket not really trying to move up in life wont make a lot of money.
You're generalising again. There's not this clear "every job for every person" that people like to perpetuate. There are often not enough jobs for the people to fill them. Once more, there's not enough "professional" jobs for the people coming out of university. Heck, with the retirement age in the UK gone up as well, the number of professional jobs available won't go up enough to support a rise in people coming out of universities. Simply put, someone with a degree and a lot of knowledge doesn't always get tothe job they are qualified for. Sometimes they're pushed into menial jobs.

Its the mind set thats the problem. Get realistic.
Mindset? This is a very real problem. It's unreal to think that there's the perfect job for everyone.

Convenient complaints to fit ones lifestyle is what I am hearing, the problem is their life style and way of thinking, not the price of the PS3.
The PS3 is too high a price for some to pay. It's nothing to do with laziness nor lifestyle. It's a problem with society. Until people see that, there's going to be no change.

Where did i say everyone should have one? A lot of people complain about what they cannot have. The problem is with the person thats not willing to work to get what they want. If you cannot manage your money, that doesnt make $600/450e a lot of money. Its really not that much.
I'd love to know how you get these ideas. You equate lack of enough money to lack of work which you equate to lack of willingness to work. Come over to the UK sometime and talk to people in the jobcentre. Look at our wages vs living costs. I can guarantee your persepctive will change. You talk about yourself in the film industry. To get a realstic view of the world, sometimes you simply have to come out of your bubble.

Again if you divide your income and dont spend it wisely, obviously you wont be left with much to blow it on.
Wisely? Personally, I think it's wiser to not spend too much money on things you don't actually need. Then allow for some money that are basic luxury items - TV for example. PS3 is way down on the list, that I know a lot of people won't have enough money left over to actually seriously consider getting a PS3.

My argument remains the same, its NOT a lot of money, the problem is with the person and not the money sign.
Yes, blame the person. Obviously, it's the person's fault isn't it?! It's not that you're getting paid rubbish wages. It's not that you actually have to pay the bills or anything.[/sarcasm]
It's not a lot of money for YOU. It is a lot of money to everyone else. To think that you can blanket people who earn a lower wage than yourself as lazy is insulting.

You are entitled to YOUR opinion. I disagree but hey, believe whatever you want champ. =)
Yes, yes, we've coverd this. Only you don't seem to acknowledge that what you say is YOUR opinion. I'm not saying that what I write isn't, but then I'm not the one trying to validate my opinion with false logic.

Now you are saying I am being unfair? On a forum? Hotpotato? Really now. All I am doing is making a realistic claim, backing it up and debating it.
Debating? We're passed that now. We would have been debating had the discussion moved on. You're not making a realistic claim for anyone but yourself. You're also not backing it up with anything other than your own assumptions and generalisations. And yes, you were being unfair to hotpotato. You just cannot see it.

HOW does this equal unfairness? Do you walk into a debate and say "you are being unfair for defending your point"? I think not.
It's not that you were defending your point. It was that you backed up your persective with your own assumptions. You quite frankly refuse to see anyone else's point that could be opposed to your own. You refuse basic logic, such as people may get unfairly paid, or that anyone who doesn't earn as much as yourself is not neccessarily lazy.

My stance is fair.
In your own eyes. Making a blanketstatements about people being able to afford a PS3 unless they're lazy is not fair in my eyes.

If you think the PS3 is not worth the money, then dont get it, BUT do not complain about how much it cost, because its not a lot of money.
I'm not going to get it, for more reasons than cost. But in the end, to me, and to many other people, the PS3 does cost a lot of money. Whether you continue refusing this simple logic is up to you, but if you consider this debating, then you're wrong. debating moves from point to point. You're just downright refusing a logical statement.

A lot of money is much much much more than a mere $600.
To someone that has much much much more than $600 in disposable income. If not, then it IS a lot of money.

Its like when you give a child a one dollar bill and they think they can buy the world.
I'm sorry, I've never been QUITE that stupid, even as a kid.

The fact is, those people that think like that, need to grow up.
What, children who think that they can buy the world with 1 dollar need to grow up? No, they just need to look at the actual price of things.

Its fine when you are a child, but if you want what you cannot have, then figure out how to get it rather than blame the systems price for your inability to achieve your goal.
So, I really want to go into space. Does that mean that I should pursue that goal and ignore any other's I may have? Sometimes, just getting to an important position may be you goal (rather than a high paid one). Also, if you cannot have, one usually questions how much they'd have to work (not just occupation, but personal growth etc), and to ask if it worth it. To assume that your goals are always worth it is childish in itself. I may have a goal to get a driving licence before I'm 22, but if that means that I have to starve myself to get the money, and to sacrifice my education to concerntrate on driving, it simply isn't worth it. May as well wait until I'm in a position to achieve that goal without as much personal cost.

squal, you are probably the only person here that really doesnt get it. Or perhaps you refuse to get it. Like already knowing you will dissagree before actually thinking about it.

This is what we have: Senario A) people complaining about the price, claiming its too much money when in fact they want it. AkA hating a system because they cannot afford it, in order to make up for it, the blame is pointed at sony for charging too much, when in reality 600 dollars is not considered a ton of money.

Therefore, pay attention because i dont know how to spell it any more simple, the person is to blame for not being able to afford it, not for the ps3 not being able to afford them so to speak. Instead of owning up and saying "sheese, my income sucks but i want a ps3" they say "its too expensive, sony is greedy, omg $600 someones rich, ...ect" which is the wrong childish mentality. Just because someone wants something, does not mean they have to have it either. I think some are getting pissed off because they want it, but cant have it. Hell i want a mansion, but that doesnt mean im going to get it right away. Hey maybe if i work hard and spend wisely I will make it happen.

No matter what you say, in the big picture of things a mere $600 is not a lot of money. It might be out of reach for some at this point in their life, but it does not change the fact that when looking at the anual income of many people, the economy, and the way of life, $600 is not a lot. How they choose to spend their income is up to them, but it will never change the fact.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
squal, you are probably the only person here that really doesnt get it. Or perhaps you refuse to get it. Like already knowing you will dissagree before actually thinking about it.
No, I just disagree.

This is what we have: Senario A) people complaining about the price, claiming its too much money when in fact they want it. AkA hating a system because they cannot afford it, in order to make up for it, the blame is pointed at sony for charging too much, when in reality 600 dollars is not considered a ton of money.
In fact? Lol. Give me a break. You're one of those people that think that everyone wants to be like them. The money to a lot of people is only a single factor to them deciding not to get it. But it is a factor. It's not that they're jealous that others can afford it, it's that the price compounds it - e.g. nothing I really like on the system, I might have considered Final Fantasy XIII, but I know I wouldn't spend £425 on a PS3 just to play it.

Therefore, pay attention because i dont know how to spell it any more simple, the person is to blame for not being able to afford it, not for the ps3 not being able to afford them so to speak.
What about those people that cannot afford to take a trip into space? Are they the ones to blame because they do not earn enough money to do that?
Now, Listen to me, because this is the simplest I can spell it out for you. People aren't to blame for not getting enough money. If people actually want a PS3, that can afford it, then they'll get it. If they cannot afford it but they still want it, it's tough luck. No amount of blaming people will change that. Unless of course, you think people CHOOSE to be poor, in which case you're an idiot.

Instead of owning up and saying "sheese, my income sucks but i want a ps3" they say "its too expensive, sony is greedy, omg $600 someones rich, ...ect" which is the wrong childish mentality.
I'll tell you what's childish. Thinking the world hands out money for all those that want it. To someone like you (apparently), you say "$600, not bad. I'll get one." To someone who isn't like you, they think "I don't know if I can afford it. It's not like I have a HDTV to really appreciate it, and it's not like I can't just have fun with a Wii instead..."

Just because someone wants something, does not mean they have to have it either. I think some are getting pissed off because they want it, but cant have it. Hell i want a mansion, but that doesnt mean im going to get it right away. Hey maybe if i work hard and spend wisely I will make it happen.
Some people are working their asses off just to stop from getting further into debt. When it comes to targets, one has to access the reward in relation to what can actually be achieved. "Its fine when you are a child, but if you want what you cannot have, then figure out how to get it rather than blame the systems price for your inability to achieve your goal." however does not account for this.

No matter what you say, in the big picture of things a mere $600 is not a lot of money.
To somebody that has lots of money. If you don't, then YES IT IS A LOT OF MONEY! Geez, are you always this dogmatic and illogical? Don't you see that it's all subjective?

It might be out of reach for some at this point in their life, but it does not change the fact that when looking at the anual income of many people, the economy, and the way of life, $600 is not a lot.
When you compare it to what that $600 could buy you, I would disagree. I sure as hell know that £425 can go a long way in the UK, at least a lot longer than a PS3 without any games etc...

How they choose to spend their income is up to them, but it will never change the fact.
And it seems you will never change your opinion. If only you'd actually say that it's just your opinion, as though you only speak in facts. You'll actually start to make friends on here a bit more if you didn't portray you opinions as facts. But then, that takes the fun out of flamebaiting now doesn't it?

I think that ps3 will come out on top, but the wii will do better than the 360. Thats why im getting both :smilewinkgrin:

Shiftfallout said:
ah that explains it all.
The right winged things can be kinda apporpriate for this thread, what with you having a right wing stance on money (i.e. People who have it are somehow "better" than people who don't). But the second part wasn't relevant to this thread in the least.

My Dad makes £130k a year atm, Ps3 is easy for me to get(Im not spoiled either, i have 2 sisters.) just ask for at christmas, at the moment though im trying to save up for one and i am working part time, ive looked ahead, a lot of good ps3 and wii games coming out for christmas, he can get me them=p

Squall7 said:
No, I just disagree.

In fact? Lol. Give me a break. You're one of those people that think that everyone wants to be like them. The money to a lot of people is only a single factor to them deciding not to get it. But it is a factor. It's not that they're jealous that others can afford it, it's that the price compounds it - e.g. nothing I really like on the system, I might have considered Final Fantasy XIII, but I know I wouldn't spend £425 on a PS3 just to play it.

What about those people that cannot afford to take a trip into space? Are they the ones to blame because they do not earn enough money to do that?
Now, Listen to me, because this is the simplest I can spell it out for you. People aren't to blame for not getting enough money. If people actually want a PS3, that can afford it, then they'll get it. If they cannot afford it but they still want it, it's tough luck. No amount of blaming people will change that. Unless of course, you think people CHOOSE to be poor, in which case you're an idiot.

I'll tell you what's childish. Thinking the world hands out money for all those that want it. To someone like you (apparently), you say "$600, not bad. I'll get one." To someone who isn't like you, they think "I don't know if I can afford it. It's not like I have a HDTV to really appreciate it, and it's not like I can't just have fun with a Wii instead..."

Some people are working their asses off just to stop from getting further into debt. When it comes to targets, one has to access the reward in relation to what can actually be achieved. "Its fine when you are a child, but if you want what you cannot have, then figure out how to get it rather than blame the systems price for your inability to achieve your goal." however does not account for this.

To somebody that has lots of money. If you don't, then YES IT IS A LOT OF MONEY! Geez, are you always this dogmatic and illogical? Don't you see that it's all subjective?

When you compare it to what that $600 could buy you, I would disagree. I sure as hell know that £425 can go a long way in the UK, at least a lot longer than a PS3 without any games etc...

And it seems you will never change your opinion. If only you'd actually say that it's just your opinion, as though you only speak in facts. You'll actually start to make friends on here a bit more if you didn't portray you opinions as facts. But then, that takes the fun out of flamebaiting now doesn't it?

You Cant Compare a £1 Million trip to space to a £400 Ps3, really stupid example.

---Brian--- said:
You Cant Compare a £1 Million trip to space to a £400 Ps3, really stupid example.
"What about those people that cannot afford to take a trip into space? Are they the ones to blame because they do not earn enough money to do that?" was replying to the idea that people should always go for targets, and that they only have theirselves to blame if they don't achieve them. The PS3's price was the main arguement, rather than a comparison.

---Brian--- said:
My Dad makes £130k a year atm, Ps3 is easy for me to get(Im not spoiled either, i have 2 sisters.) just ask for at christmas, at the moment though im trying to save up for one and i am working part time, ive looked ahead, a lot of good ps3 and wii games coming out for christmas, he can get me them=p
Good for you. However, it doesn't detract from the fact that to some people (especially in non-self inflicted poverty), £425 is a lot of money. This was my main point, and gripe with Shiftfallout.

Also, £130K a year is a lot. It's £10833 per month. £2500 per week. Most people I know don't even get a tenth of that. £250 per week (depending on hours) is quite a good wage, especially in my area.

I tend to agree with Shift, alot of people hate PS3 cuz of the price,
but i'm curious why people dont hate Ferrari in comparison to a Honda.

Not everyone can afford a Ferrari, because they know they couldn't afford it on their income, same as a PS3. Thats like saying you'd hate to own a Ferrari, and only think a Honda is Superior because its $100k less then the Ferrari.

retro_joe said:
I tend to agree with Shift, alot of people hate PS3 cuz of the price
I disagree. I don't think it's that they hate the price. There's been plenty of people saying that they will get a PS3 if the price goes down, but the people that say about the price, and not getting one because of it are usually the kind of people have the price point in conjunction with other points - like lack of current appealing titles, or that they feel they could just get a 360 instead. etc...

Back