PS3 sucks, now tell me why not to think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shiftfallout said:
I believe Sony is looking at this all in the long term rather than the short term, therefore their approach my be one that dissatisfies you. Either way, we just have to wait and watch it unfold.

Well that approach has never been done with a console before. This is why i feel a lot of people on here doubt that it will work. I mean, I suppose in a few a years i could get a PS3 but well just have to see. But its really going to have to pick up its sales.

ya really cant take a longterm approache with gaming.. it changes so much so quickly new consoles seem to pop up right when you start enjoying the ones you have...i dont see that workign out for them...

unless this is the gateway of consoles.. and they are willing to upgrade it as you go...lol

wezeles said:
ya really cant take a longterm approache with gaming.. it changes so much so quickly new consoles seem to pop up right when you start enjoying the ones you have...i dont see that workign out for them...

Well, lets think about it. Theres no rule that says you cant take a long term approach, thats actually the core of PC gaming. I believe there are two things happening in the console world. One, a shift towards innovative gameplay and accessability, and Two, they are starting to mimic their parents [the personal computer].

I have always been an advocate of upgradable consoles to be honest. They need to mimic a PC in order to keep up with the times. If all consoles were sold as bare bone systems, where after a certain amount of time you could purchase a vid card or cpu to upgrade it, then i think it would be more benefitial to gamers. However this also has its drawbacks, it will cause consumers to be required to upgrade and companies will take advantage of this to charge much more. Consoles are cheaper because they are one package, once you break that down then the cost rises dramatically.

The evolution of gaming hardware is very very very interesting however. We know its leading into the realm of virtual reality, that is inevitable. Interconnectivity is a must nowadays. And then theres consoles that are making use of and commonizing (new word =P ) innovative approaches to gameplay and interaction. Consoles are coming close to PC power in terms of gaming for a fraction of the price.

So eventually i believe we will see an emergence of more long term approaches to multimedia systems. Nintendo wii as purely a gaming system will most likey be replaced by a more updated nintendo product (they tend to do that) where as the multimedia devices will stick around a bit longer before sending out their new pieces of hardware.

In the end though, its all speculation. We kind of know the end result, we just dont know who is going to go there first or how its going to be done.

Shiftfallout said:
So eventually i believe we will see an emergence of more long term approaches to multimedia systems. Nintendo wii as purely a gaming system will most likey be replaced by a more updated nintendo product (they tend to do that) where as the multimedia devices will stick around a bit longer before sending out their new pieces of hardware.

In the end though, its all speculation. We kind of know the end result, we just dont know who is going to go there first or how its going to be done.

nintendo and everyone else does it they all change about the same time just to keep up with eachother.. the problem with an upgradeable console happening right now is a new surge in t.v. technology HDTV HDMI all this popping in and out and its not done yet... and you cant just replace the video or CPU on these consoles atleast not easy for the everyday consumer.. and whats bestbuy gonna do charge you a hundred bucks to install your 100 dollar video card to update your system? not very reasonable... if they go this route then it will most likely be more or less an all online thing, games downloaded,software downloaded, just basically a shell like a computer with a big hard drive and a possability of new video/sound/cpu later on... even then with computer tech at its rate now that would only extend a console for maybe another 3 to 4 years before every other part of the system is obsolete... the idea of a console is it plays outta the box, no installing,no real setup... easy to do its for everyone with a t.v. and an electrical outlet... if you wanted an upgradeable console you would just buy a gaming computer adn still you would get what 5-8 years at best before that wasnt even capable of keeping up with the games... its just not possibal, and not something the average consumer would want... gaming consoles will always work in the manner of newer bigger better.. its how the industry has worked for well over 20 years... they loose sales after a few years so what do they do pump out a new console better graphics better gameplay, new exciting sales go up they drag it out as long as they can... but with tech changing at such fast rates these days we are quickly unimpressed with even 5 year old technology...

Last edited:
Well if they were ever going into the rout of interchangable Graphics cards, it would be in the form of a plug in play cartrige. You would load it in like you would load in the ammo clip to a gun. Again though, prices would go up a lot. Consoles dont really need to look like PCs to behave like them. Merely, there are some that dont want them to get intermingled because it means less profit for the company that makes the console and more profit for the individual manufactures of the technology.

but with tech changing at such fast rates these days we are quickly unimpressed with even 5 year old technology...

which is why im suprised didnt try to put a current gen graphics card in their Wii. When sony came out with the 32 bit, nintendo went 64. Lets hope the wiimote then can keep up with the pace of technology.

thats kinda the whole thing though... all we have gotten is graphics, sence atari the way to beat a console is up the graphics... when really we are already to the point were even double the power of graphics isnt that impressive just a tad better... and thats porbably why the wii is dominating right now... people were sick of the same old thing... same games same buttons better picture... in this case the wii gives you a fully different gameplay a new way to play... so even the worst games are decent because the gameplay itself is so entertaining.. next gen when everyone intergrates motion technology, graphics will again be a key role in the dominate system.. unless the gameplay itself is kicked up another notch... im pretty confident nintendo will win this round because of the new gameplay alone... but next gen consoles will adapt to this "not new" but it will become highly used tech into there consoles and it will come back down to who can do it bigger and better.. graphics and gameplay... eaither way we get more for our money as they fight so everyone wins...

This thread is still going on?

Moderators must be pretty liberal here. In that case, I'm going to start a thread call "Wii sucks, now tell me why not to think so"

wezeles said:
thats kinda the whole thing though... all we have gotten is graphics, sence atari the way to beat a console is up the graphics... when really we are already to the point were even double the power of graphics isnt that impressive just a tad better... and thats porbably why the wii is dominating right now... people were sick of the same old thing... same games same buttons better picture... in this case the wii gives you a fully different gameplay a new way to play... so even the worst games are decent because the gameplay itself is so entertaining.. next gen when everyone intergrates motion technology, graphics will again be a key role in the dominate system.. unless the gameplay itself is kicked up another notch... im pretty confident nintendo will win this round because of the new gameplay alone... but next gen consoles will adapt to this "not new" but it will become highly used tech into there consoles and it will come back down to who can do it bigger and better.. graphics and gameplay... eaither way we get more for our money as they fight so everyone wins...

cant argue with that (not that nintendo will win, but the rest is pretty close to how i feel. This is a time of change for the gaming industry as a whole, and like peuberty, its gonna be awkward.). The one thing i hated most about the Playstation and the xbox were its controllers. Im a mouse and keyboard type of guy, and whatever controller gives me the closest feel to pinpoint accuracey to a mouse is good in my book.

Though i do have to say, They did develope the camera thing that had image motion sensoring, which was innovative as well. I personally think thats where nintendo decided to make an actual controller that did that rather than a camera that detects movement.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
cant argue with that. The one thing i hated most about the Playstation and the xbox were its controllers. Im a mouse and keyboard type of guy, and whatever controller gives me the closest feel to pinpoint accuracey to a mouse is good in my book.
yup being a FPS fan i never liked normal controls for that tipe of games but then i tested the wii motion sensor control and it was really awesome that you feel if you were on a mouse i have seen many FPS on xbox360 but no one really got me interested because you feel like a robot when you play =S in fact i found that CoD3 on the Wii was better than CoD3 on the 360

Farid said:
yup being a FPS fan i never liked normal controls for that tipe of games but then i tested the wii motion sensor control and it was really awesome that you feel if you were on a mouse i have seen many FPS on xbox360 but no one really got me interested because you feel like a robot when you play =S in fact i found that CoD3 on the Wii was better than CoD3 on the 360

I think if nintendo could bring back the powerglove and map its movements to WASD in conjunction with the remote, then it would be a fps consolers dream.

But another interesting point that a lot of people will feel erked about, though i have to mention, is that the wiiremote can be used on not just the wii itself. Modders have been able to get it to work on a computer, its entirely possible to make it work on.. the PS3. However even though its possible (modders are really amazing at what they can pull off) its really a question of if it will actually happen.

OMG why is this thread still going on?
I admire the fact that some people are trying to prove him wrong but he's arguing his case on a Wii Forum?

So theres really no point 99% of people are going to Agree....

Wii_Smurf said:
OMG why is this thread still going on?
I admire the fact that some people are trying to prove him wrong but he's arguing his case on a Wii Forum?

So theres really no point 99% of people are going to Agree....
yah where are the mods

Shiftfallout, are you familiar with the theory called Occam's Razor. If not, i'll let you in on it. If there are multiple choices, the simpler one is almost always the best choice.

Now let's make that theory relevent to the console wars--- The 11 pound PS3 with all sorts of technology that a gaming console doesnt need to make the gaming experience better vs. the Wii, a basic core gaming system without blu-ray or any other nonsense that a console doesnt need to have the gamer satisfied

I have owned a Wii and Wii Zelda for a few months. I love my Wii, but I plan to buy a PS3 with my wife's 20% off coupon this December at Wal-Mart. I want the PS3 for a few reasons. The PS and PS2 have been very good to me as a gamer. The PS3 will have Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, and some Final Fantasy. My origional PS2 is on its last legs. Finally I would like a Blu-ray player to watch high-def movies on my new 56" Samsung DLP. For those of you that don't like Blu-ray you should give it a chance. it holds 67% more information than the HD-DVD (50gb to 30gb). To top it off every comercial I see on TV for a new movie is either released on both blu-ray and hd-dvd or just blu-ray. I know there are a few studios that are going strictly hd-dvd, but I have yet to see commercials for these titles.

XwiimasturX said:
Shiftfallout, are you familiar with the theory called Occam's Razor. If not, i'll let you in on it. If there are multiple choices, the simpler one is almost always the best choice.
Theres a few theories out there that say we come from a giant spaghetti monster who is in fact god, and another one that says the chicken came before the egg, and yet another one that says humans are the direct result of inbreeding monkeys.

... Now we know that just because its a theory doesnt make it true. A theory is a hypothesis which relies on time to prove its correct, usually based off re-occurances and a ratio of success, even then it does not become a fact.

Using "Occam's Razor" that you explain, I could state that the better species between the choices of Human, bonobo Chimpanzee and a slug, by that theory, the slug is the better species. [of course i would say the bonobo has a better life, sex all day and poopflingin by night] Or If I needed surgury for my arm and my options included a complicated healing process that could take over a year or just lopping off my arm. Is then lopping off the arm the best choice? No.

Now let's make that theory relevent to the console wars--- The 11 pound PS3 with all sorts of technology that a gaming console doesnt need to make the gaming experience better vs. the Wii, a basic core gaming system without blu-ray or any other nonsense that a console doesnt need to have the gamer satisfied

The weight of a console has nothing to do with its functionality. I fail to see why you use it in your argument.

The other thing you seem to forget, is that one is a multimedia device where as the other is simpley a machine that offers friendly gameplay.

Finally, the most important thing you fail to realize, or choose not to realize, is that 1) hightened graphical capabilties CAN make the gaming experience better, its not a fact that it does the opposite. 2) Blueray holds more, much much more. Which means more game content a developer can put into a game and at higher quality. Does that not make the gaming experience better?
By your argument you should be happy playing the NES and not need anything else. Kind of hurts dont it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back