Why do you guys hate so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
From now on if anyone wants to know why people dislike the PS3, SuperH just gave the perfect list.

SuperH said:
Here is why I don't like the PS3.

1. Sony is a very arrogant and non-deserving company. Look at their many statements they have ever made and this is grossly clear.
2. The GPU is made by Nvidia, which liquidated 3DFX and scrapped the whole Glide API. Screw Nvidia.
3. BluRay I want to fail. It has enhanced content protection, and the media is simply more costly than HDDVD, and will always be that way. HDDVD media is less costly, and offers the option to have a "combo format", with DVD on one side and HDDVD on the other.
4. The console doesn't anti alias well at all.
5. The fog effects are atrocious, and this will remain due to a limited graphics buffer.
6. The console is costly. If something breaks on it, like the BluRay drive, or the power supply, the whole console will need replaced (unless you're good). External power supplies should be required. To have them internal creates these issues:
-They generate more heat inside the console
-They are non-replacable.
-They add size to the console, which makes it harder to implement into entertainment centers and audio racks.
7. The batteries are non-replacable in the controllers.
8. Backward compatibility with old games isn't perfect. You better hang on to your old consoles. Also, there's no HD Upconversion for old video games. The Xbox 360 may not have "full" backward compatibility, but at least the old games are all upconverted to 720p, and they look nice.
9. There weren't many great titles launched with the console, and no great titles should be expected, unless they are cross platform, because:
-Sony said that the console is a "multimedia powerhouse", not a "simple gaming system", and that they are focusing on the multimedia features, which means that Sony is using it to market BluRay, clear as that. They aren't going "gung ho" on getting great games developed for it, and likely never will.
10. It's sitting on store shelves everywhere around here, and I live in a college town where people game almost like it's their job. The market ultimately decides the fate of a system; I'm not about to drop $600 into something that may not succeed.

Sony is non deserving because they are arrogant? Arrogant people succeed in life. Its a good trait to have.
Bluray wont fail because there are over 1 million ps3's in homes. How many hd dvd players? Not even close.
If you worried about it breaking, buy one from costco or sams club. They have free lifetime warranties on consoles.
I would rather have rechargable batteries than to stick new batteries in every week.
They have plenty of great titles coming out, and lots of exclusives. Resistance fall of man is a great game. Better than alot of other fps.
I have a hard time finding ps3's by me. Even if I saw them on the shelves I would think of it as a good thing. It means sonys is doing a great job producing them.

Did you know sony almost doubled microsofts launch? Microsoft sold 600,000 consoles by early january. Sony sold over 1 million and thats not including europe or australia. Sitting on stores shelves arguement is stupid. Its selling more than the 360 did, and its gonna sell alot more. Especially in march when a few more great games come out.

SuperH said:
Here is why I don't like the PS3.

1. Sony is a very arrogant and non-deserving company. Look at their many statements they have ever made and this is grossly clear.
3. BluRay I want to fail. It has enhanced content protection, and the media is simply more costly than HDDVD, and will always be that way. HDDVD media is less costly, and offers the option to have a "combo format", with DVD on one side and HDDVD on the other.
6. The console is costly. If something breaks on it, like the BluRay drive, or the power supply, the whole console will need replaced (unless you're good). External power supplies should be required.
7. The batteries are non-replacable in the controllers.
9. There weren't many great titles launched with the console, and no great titles should be expected,
10. It's sitting on store shelves everywhere around here, and I live in a college town where people game almost like it's their job. The market ultimately decides the fate of a system; I'm not about to drop $600 into something that may not succeed.

Well your first reason sucks, Sony is a great company, The third reason is wrong, Blue ray won't fail, and if your saying it cost more, why do the xbox 360 games cost the same.
The console is worth every penny for your 6th reason.
7th is the batterie ARE replaceable
9. Resistance end of story
10. You must live in nowheres land because they are sold out everywhere as soon as they arrive here.

And now with the PS3, bluray is an issue for me, i don't like what sony is doing pushing it on ppl.

Thats the only thing I don't like about sony right now. They keep trying to FORCE blu-ray upon people by including it in their PS3---like they know its going to be the standard or something. Pressuring an unproven technology at a rediculously high price results in mass hate just about everytime. I will buy a PS3 as soon as Final Fantasy XIII nears release, but it IS bs that sony is pushing blu-ray on people like they are. That just goes to show you that sony is indeed a much greedier company than others in the same market. They want their technology so badly to be the format of choice they stupidly push blu-ray onto their newest console. If HD-DVD happens to win the format wars that leaves sony litterally [fuc*ked]. That makes the PS3 only good for playing games, no longer playing HD movies or other things that their ps3 can do with blu-ray media. Basically that takes multimedia out of the PS3. Hopefully they can form an alliance and have HD-bluray or etc like they are currently working on, but if they don't then sony made a really really bad move.

Regardless of those statements I will get a PS3 eventually. I'm not a hater of other consoles and I can respect what the PS3 and xbox360 can do. I have used all three of this generation and can hands down say that the Wii provides me the most entertainment and joy out of the 3. I still have my PS2 and I enjoy playing the **** out of it, especially my Final Fantasy games :thumbsup:

Jer5078 said:
Well your first reason sucks, Sony is a great company, The third reason is wrong, Blue ray won't fail, and if your saying it cost more, why do the xbox 360 games cost the same.
The console is worth every penny for your 6th reason.
7th is the batterie ARE replaceable
9. Resistance end of story
10. You must live in nowheres land because they are sold out everywhere as soon as they arrive here.

Sorry to burst your Sony bubble but I have played most of the launch titles as my cousin owns a PS3 and about 5 titles plus rented titles. Blu-ray could fail, please provide proof that it wont fail. At least backup your statements with something. They aren't charging for the media they are charging for the games. I can go buy a PS3 today right now if I wanted to and had $600 to blow. Just about every local store here has a stock of PS3s because people just aren't buying them up like they are the Wii and xbox360. MS was smart to release a HD-DVD drive externally because if the format fails they can release a bluray external drive, either way sony could release a HD-DVD drive but if they did that would make them look extremely horrible given the fact that they tried to push their technology on us in the first place and all of a sudden they want to join the HD-DVD bandwagon.

Resistance while it looks good, wasn't very much fun for me. It felt like a cheap knockoff of something I've already played and beaten many times. I'm merely expressing opinions and provide analyitical proof where needed, however before you go and say Resistance enough said, blu ray wont fail and blah blah blah, please think about what you are saying before you actually say it. Not only does it make you look like you are lacking intelligence, it makes the forum look bad. Unless you can come up with a mature and halfway smart reply for a forum debate, the best you can do for yourself is just read the topic. No one is really interested in comments that have no merit here.

And for the record I own many sony products so this isn't based on being anti-sony or etc.

If sony didnt include blu ray into the ps3, then final fantasy wouldnt look half as good as it does. Do you really think you could fit a great looking game like that onto a dvd? They would probably end up using 4 disks if they didnt. Resistance uses 15gb. Final fantasy will easily be over 20gb. Sony is making a next generation console, which means the next generation format. It would have been stupid if they used dvd's because it would have been obsolete in a few years from hd dvd that microsoft is pushing. microsoft would have put an hd dvd drive in the 720 in a couple of years and killed off the ps3 without a question.

If hd dvd survives there will hybrid drives that play both. If hd dvd doesnt survive, then microsoft will probably use blu ray for their next format.

acphydro said:
Just about every local store here has a stock of PS3s because people just aren't buying them up like they are the Wii and xbox360. MS was smart to release a HD-DVD drive externally because if the format fails they can release a bluray external drive, either way sony could release a HD-DVD drive but if they did that would make them look extremely horrible given the fact that they tried to push their technology on us in the first place and all of a sudden they want to join the HD-DVD bandwagon.

Sony sold just over 1 million in the beginning of january of 2007 without europe or Australia.

Microsoft sold 600,000 in the beginning of Januray of 2006.

The ps3 even sold more than the ps2 at launch. Not too bad for a $500 and $600 system that everyone complains about. This was without europe or Australia.

There will be millions of blu ray players in poeples homes. Blu ray isnt going anywhere for a long time.

Wii&Ps3 said:
If sony didnt include blu ray into the ps3, then final fantasy wouldnt look half as good as it does. Do you really think you could fit a great looking game like that onto a dvd? They would probably end up using 4 disks if they didnt. Resistance uses 15gb. Final fantasy will easily be over 20gb. Sony is making a next generation console, which means the next generation format. It would have been stupid if they used dvd's because it would have been obsolete in a few years from hd dvd that microsoft is pushing. microsoft would have put an hd dvd drive in the 720 in a couple of years and killed off the ps3 without a question.

If hd dvd survives there will hybrid drives that play both. If hd dvd doesnt survive, then microsoft will probably use blu ray for their next format.

Let me just offer this as proof. Having played Resident Evil 4, aside from a minor sidequest a gamecube disc is 1.4GBx2 = 2.8GB. Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 is over 4GB yet it fails to look as good as the gamecube's version. They had no problem producing Final Fantasy VII or VIII on 3 or 4 CDROMS. DVDDL discs hold 8.5GB a piece. Either way I'm not knocking sony for placing games on blu-ray discs at ALL, the problem is Sony is trying to force blu-ray upon the consumer AS THE next gen format when it IS NOT, its not even clear what is going to happen. I wouldn't mind if Final Fantasy XIII were on 2 or 3 DVDDL discs either. However a lot of the content is STATIC content in an RPG and can be easily compressed and decompressed on the fly with nary a loss in quality. I'm not taking sides with Sony, MS or Nintendo here. Games on blu-ray is fine, games on hd-dvd are fine and games on DVD are fine.

By saying if HD-DVD survives you are implying that Blu-Ray is going to be the next gen format when its not clear that it is or not going to be. I should have made it clearer that I was looking at blu-ray from a music, movie, media perspective and not an entire gaming perspective though. Sony is pushing movies, music, ALL multimedia on blu-ray at consumers. I can agree with their decisions on a business side of view, but not as a consumer.

Wii&Ps3 said:
Sony sold just over 1 million in the beginning of january of 2007 without europe or Australia.

Microsoft sold 600,000 in the beginning of Januray of 2006.

The ps3 even sold more than the ps2 at launch. Not too bad for a $500 and $600 system that everyone complains about. This was without europe or Australia.

There will be millions of blu ray players in poeples homes. Blu ray isnt going anywhere for a long time.

Please provide proof that blu-ray isnt going anywhere. Thats right---you can't because there is none. It doesn't matter how many SOLD, the Wii had more stock and SOLD out, yet anyone around any major US city can just about go shopping and come home with a PS3. I'm not going to buy a $800 blu-ray player when I can buy a PS3 that has the same capabilities and plays games too. It's possible that many people think that BR is here to stay so maybe they just bought the PS3 as a BR player? The Wii doesn't tout movie playback capabilities yet still outsold it and are a rare find anywhere around here. The PS3 is in stock just about everywhere. I can drive a half mile down the road and come back with a PS3 if I wanted one badly enough at the moment. That obviously shows that its demand is much lower than the Wii. It is well known that microsoft had a major shortage during its launch, but THEY STILL ALL SOLD OUT. Sony can't claim their PS3 sold out because it didn't. Number of units available doesnt even matter let alone sold by themselves. Supply and Demand is what matters. Sony supplies PS3s, demand is low. Nintendo supplied major Wii systems and demand is extremely high. Microsoft supplied a low amount of 360s and demand was high and still is.

I replied here to simply state that I don't "hate" the PS3, its just over-rated and over-hyped. That doesn't mean I don't want one or won't in the future. My goal is fun and gameplay and the PS3 just doesnt provide. They seem to tout it more as a multimedia machine then a game machine second.

First off, let me say that I'm not a wii fanboy nor do I hate Playstation. I own a PS1 and 2. I'm merely interested in this whole "console war" deal so I thought I'd contribute my two cents.

I don't recall 360s on sitting on shelves a little over a month after launch.

Question: Out of however many PS3s were sold, how many were bought by people intending to sell them, found no buyers, and then returned the systems to the store? I have a feeling that has something to do with the recent surplus of PS3s.

Do sales numbers take returns into account?

re

acphydro said:
Please provide proof that blu-ray isnt going anywhere. Thats right---you can't because there is none. It doesn't matter how many SOLD, the Wii had more stock and SOLD out, yet anyone around any major US city can just about go shopping and come home with a PS3. I'm not going to buy a $800 blu-ray player when I can buy a PS3 that has the same capabilities and plays games too. It's possible that many people think that BR is here to stay so maybe they just bought the PS3 as a BR player? The Wii doesn't tout movie playback capabilities yet still outsold it and are a rare find anywhere around here. The PS3 is in stock just about everywhere. I can drive a half mile down the road and come back with a PS3 if I wanted one badly enough at the moment. That obviously shows that its demand is much lower than the Wii. It is well known that microsoft had a major shortage during its launch, but THEY STILL ALL SOLD OUT. Sony can't claim their PS3 sold out because it didn't. Number of units available doesnt even matter let alone sold by themselves. Supply and Demand is what matters. Sony supplies PS3s, demand is low. Nintendo supplied major Wii systems and demand is extremely high. Microsoft supplied a low amount of 360s and demand was high and still is.

I replied here to simply state that I don't "hate" the PS3, its just over-rated and over-hyped. That doesn't mean I don't want one or won't in the future. My goal is fun and gameplay and the PS3 just doesnt provide. They seem to tout it more as a multimedia machine then a game machine second.

Why wouldnt the wii be sold out? Its $250 and offers something totally different than anything else on the market. My point is that everyone says the ps3 are sitting on shelves, and there is no demand. If there wasnt a demand, then why have they almost doubled 360 sales? They havent even touched europe and australia. Microsoft did a global launch and still didnt sell as many. The 360 demand is not high anymore. I can walk into any store that carries them and buy one without a problem. Why do you think there are ads at every single store with microsoft giving incentives? Like a free game, controller, or $100 off. They know sony is selling alot of units and will continue to do so. If microsoft wasnt worried they wouldnt be doing all of those things.

My prediction for the wii. It will sell a ton of units. If sony ever catches up it will probably be at least 2 years down the road. However sony isnt in a direct competition with the wii, because they appeal mostly to two different crowds. Sony is going after microsoft, and I believe they will sell more units in the future. Probably not for at least 1-2 years at the least. Imo it doesnt matter who sells more units. All 3 systems are selling alot, and thats all developers will look at to decide if they will make a game for that system.

Phillips just dropped the price of their blu ray players to $600. They are finally starting to come down. They will need to be alot lower though until consumers start to pick them up. I cant prove that blu ray will win the format war. Nobody knows. I base my opinions from facts. I could very well be wrong, but when there are alot more blu ray players than hd dvd players in peoples homes, who do you think will win?

Lastly why do you care that sony put a blu ray player in the ps3? They had to do a new format that will hold more data. They could go the hd dvd route, or maximize their profits and use the format that they developed. They made the right moves with the ps3, and I think they will be very profitable from it.

The PS3 didn't need to have blue ray for the games, that's why it sucks. It should have been 400 and not 600 that way. Microsoft has even stated that they will not be releasing games on the HD-DVD drive. Why not? Because games are just starting to be released that actually fill a standard dual layer DVD and games are no where near close to filling a disc with blueray storage capacity. The blueray does not increase the performance of the system for games and that is why Microsoft didn't include an HD-DVD drive with the system, instead they gave their customers the option to get it later.

Wii&Ps3 said:
Why wouldnt the wii be sold out? Its $250 and offers something totally different than anything else on the market.
You could buy a Chevy Aveo for cheap and it's different than other cars on the market...so why aren't Aveos dominating in sales?

Low cost and unique play are not the driving force behind Wii's success...it's the fun factor. I, like many gamers with jobs, could afford any of the three newest systems. I chose Wii because it was fun to play...something I hadn't felt about a console since SNES.

PS3 has it's strengths, there's nothing wrong with the system. I just think that if a person wants to plunk down $600 for a "gaming computer", you're better off spending a bit more and building your own pc with better specs.

Master Foot said:
There are simply not enough buttons for GTA Wii. Rockstar would have to get creative with the control scheme this time around. Hopefully they do not make it cell shaded and cut out the blood.

Theres been blood and stuff in games already, so i doubt they will remove anything. And as for buttons.. i dont see whats wrong? there are plenty.(AND some will be replaced with motion sensor im sure, so there could be a few buttons that do nothing for all we know. The last thing id worry about is if there are enough buttons, lol.)

And about the Wii being sold out for being so cheap, my reply is: Ima go buy a big cardboard box to carry my stuff around to work with me, instead of a nice suitcase. Becuase the cardboard box is cheaper, so why wouldnt i want to buy it. [/sarcasm]

Just cause its cheap, doesnt mean people want it. The Wii is liked for other reasons :) (of course the cost is nice tho)

Last edited:
They can OMG put FF13 on two or three DVDs! They did it with MGS Online, Xeno Saga 2, and many other PS2 games, and the price was still cheaper than a $60 game. FF7, one of the greatest Sony games ever made was a Multi CD based game. The whole point of Blue Ray, and Sony said this, "It's cheaper to produce."

I own multiple Sony products, and I'm very pissed at the outright greed they are displaying on the PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back